10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I was thinking more of some of the early electrification schemes - NER, LBSCR, etc., etc.

I think that I am correct in saying that electric traction preceded the invention of diesel traction.

John Isherwood.

The LNER were certainly serious about electrification in the 1930s and after Woodhead they would have eventually wired the ECML.

But the war came and after it the LMS designed the twins and Bulleid followed with his diesels and the rest as they say is history - English Electric clearly had friends in high places

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I was thinking more of some of the early electrification schemes - NER, LBSCR, etc., etc.

I think that I am correct in saying that electric traction preceded the invention of diesel traction.

John Isherwood.

Think so-Siemens & Halske AG demonstrated their electric loco in Berlin in 1879, and two years later introduced the first electric trolleybus. Diesel published his ideas for the engine of the same name in 1892.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Indeed, the wires were in some cases put up with steam locos.

For a long time, the southern end of the WCML at least was maybe not quite diesel free, but certainly majority electric traction by far.

Nowadays it's a much more equal split (or so it seems)!

At Rugby, steam, diesel and electric ran side by side well into 1965.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, smithlington smithe said:

Crewe Basford Hall to Leeds Balm Road with   90047 at Rosegrove,just managed to get it while on a break for a change.

308497C9-D79E-46F8-9EF2-E9345BAD19E2.jpeg.4396bf9692111352e2bedc28ba8d04b3.jpeg

cheers 

David 

... and a short time later, 0E90 passing through Brighouse under a uniformly grey, overcast sky.

2136636961_66553900470E90Brighouse020320212-RMweb.jpg.28f9c34c23c56f68b2f28d9f03e5b9fc.jpg

• Like 11

On 26/02/2021 at 20:28, Pandora said:

It was intended to have Type A for passenger work  and type B for freight work , the Type B  locos, were  geared down versions for freight speeds of one of the passenger classes, I think they were to be numbered in the E3300 series. but the locos  became passenger geared  locos.   On a separate issue, the BR Electrification Plan referred to 6 axle locos for freight and 4 axle locos for passenger work,  I have never seen any line drawings of any proposed 6 axle locos for the WCML electrification

Yes, a couple of the Type Bs did make it into traffic, E3303 and E3304 I believe; but photos of them are like rocking horse sh1t and photos of them working goods trains are almost impossible to find online. 

Here is one of the few I have found (there is another in an Ian Allan ABC) of E3303, but E3304 seems to have hibernated from photographers for its year in that guise, probably because it worked overnight services. 

e3303_crewe.jpg.7285d643ebc2ff6934b5d710ca6fd837.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I've already posted this photo in another topic in this forum, but I'm posting it here for a reason.

I took this in 1985, and to this day I've been convinced that it was taken at Norton Bridge. I was on a relief train hauled by 85024, on the slow lines, and 86245 overhauled us.

My problem is that looking at Google Maps and Streetview, I can't place the location. I know Norton Bridge has changed somewhat, with the grade separated junction, but I can't find anywhere at Norton Bridge that looks the same.

It looks like this is just at the divergence, but if that's the case, then where on Google Maps are the buildings to the left of the image?

Are there any drivers on here who are familiar with Norton Bridge now, and who remember it back then?

Cheers N

86245_Norton_Bridge_23121985

• Like 13

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

I've already posted this photo in another topic in this forum, but I'm posting it here for a reason.

I took this in 1985, and to this day I've been convinced that it was taken at Norton Bridge. I was on a relief train hauled by 85024, on the slow lines, and 86245 overhauled us.

My problem is that looking at Google Maps and Streetview, I can't place the location. I know Norton Bridge has changed somewhat, with the grade separated junction, but I can't find anywhere at Norton Bridge that looks the same.

It looks like this is just at the divergence, but if that's the case, then where on Google Maps are the buildings to the left of the image?

Are there any drivers on here who are familiar with Norton Bridge now, and who remember it back then?

Cheers N

Hiya N,

Norton Bridge is on my doorstep, well, not so on the doorstep but its one of my favourite haunts and post lockdown, i am going to be back there, so, this to me looks like this track and the 86 are both Northbound, in which case it looks like its the approach tracks to Norton Bridge Station which, as far as I am aware is no longer in use:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8656343,-2.1911474,3a,75y,36.32h,71.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sleHqLQJmf5XNbl_W8J052A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Cheers N

It is the approach to Norton Bridge from the south.  The line on the left is the Up Fast, the next one is the facing crossover from the Up Fast to the Dn Fast.  The 86 is on the Dn Fast and the right hand line is the Up Slow.  The 30 speed limit sign with the right hand arrow is for the divergence from the Dn Fast to the Norton Bridge platform loop.

Edited by DY444
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, DY444 said:

It is the approach to Norton Bridge from the south.  The line on the left is the Up Fast, the next one is the facing crossover from the Up Fast to the Dn Fast.  The 86 is on the Dn Fast and the right hand line is the Up Slow.  The 30 speed limit sign with the right hand arrow is for the divergence from the Dn Fast to the Norton Bridge platform loop.

The up fast line, here, is the one now decommissioned with that now served as part of the new flyover a few hundred yards to the left ... the northbound part if the twin track heading either north onwards to Crewe or over the flyover towards Stone and then Stoke-on-trent 

46 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

The up fast line, here, is the one now decommissioned with that now served as part of the new flyover a few hundred yards to the left ... the northbound part if the twin track heading either north onwards to Crewe or over the flyover towards Stone and then Stoke-on-trent 

I think you're getting your up and downs muddled.  The Dn Slow has been decommissioned and now runs on the new formation.  What was the Up Fast past Norton Bridge station now forms part of the single line chord round to Yarnfield Junction (where it meets the lines from the new flyover).  This chord trails into the new Up Fast a little south of where the picture was taken.  The new Up Fast alignment past the station site is roughly where the old platform loop was .

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DY444 said:

I think you're getting your up and downs muddled.  The Dn Slow has been decommissioned and now runs on the new formation.  What was the Up Fast past Norton Bridge station now forms part of the single line chord round to Yarnfield Junction (where it meets the lines from the new flyover).  This chord trails into the new Up Fast a little south of where the picture was taken.  The new Up Fast alignment past the station site is roughly where the old platform loop was .

I think I just didn't finish my text tbh .. the 86 line .. the up fast is still there, its the up slow which is decommissioned .. this is part of the new lines over the flyover and rejoining the other three by Heamies farm (as seen in my pic) when I went to get a different view of 4S47

20200520_201604.jpg

20200520_200550.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

I think I just didn't finish my text tbh .. the 86 line .. the up fast is still there, its the up slow which is decommissioned .. this is part of the new lines over the flyover and rejoining the other three by Heamies farm (as seen in my pic) when I went to get a different view of 4S47

20200520_201604.jpg

20200520_200550.jpg

No it's the Down Slow which has been decommissioned.  As I said before you're getting Up and Down mixed up.  Up is the Crewe to Stafford direction and Down is the Stafford to Crewe direction.  Thus it is the Down Slow line that leaves the original WCML formation south of Norton Bridge and is on the new formation to Heamies Farm where it rejoins the original WCML formation, and is the line upon which the 90s are running in the lower picture.  The Up Slow remains where it was before and goes past the Norton Bridge station site on the original formation.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

So on that basis trains go up to London and down to Glasgow.

That's crackers !!!

Not if you're in Brighton!

Trains go UP to London and DOWN from it, it only gets complicated away from London where lines are inter-connected, with each end facing the same way.....

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

That's crackers !!!

'Up' is towards the zero milepost, for the south end of most of the mainline  radial routes that is the relevant London Terminal. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

That's crackers !!!

Remember there’s the right way, the wrong way and the railway...!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

That's crackers !!!

Quite logical really.

Instructions were traditionally written in line order reading down the page starting from the zero milepost at the top, thus for the Down direction you read Down the page and for the Up direction you read Up the page.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

AC electric with no wires above it - almost a candidate for a mystery location quiz:

1291928909_321354RotherhamHolmesChord20210416.jpg.c46a9d5f9aa88a463bc3cfdabfdfd525.jpg

No, not a new battery/hybrid experiment, but nearing journey's end on the Holmes Chord at Rotherham, 5 minutes away from the end of the line at Booths scrapyard.

It and one other was being hauled by a 37, on a working from Clacton on Friday 16/4/21. They will run round the corner to Holmes Junction and then be propelled into the scrapyard.

You can see the tail light illuminated - some clever adaptor arrangement on the loco, so separate tail light needed, and no match wagons/brake force wagons required.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

AC electric with no wires above it - almost a candidate for a mystery location quiz:

1291928909_321354RotherhamHolmesChord20210416.jpg.c46a9d5f9aa88a463bc3cfdabfdfd525.jpg

No, not a new battery/hybrid experiment, but nearing journey's end on the Holmes Chord at Rotherham, 5 minutes away from the end of the line at Booths scrapyard.

It and one other was being hauled by a 37, on a working from Clacton on Friday 16/4/21. They will run round the corner to Holmes Junction and then be propelled into the scrapyard.

You can see the tail light illuminated - some clever adaptor arrangement on the loco, so separate tail light needed, and no match wagons/brake force wagons required.

91s mk4s and 321s etc going to the breakers. I’m getting old!

• Agree 4