23 hours ago, rodent279 said:

What was it doing there? ( Apart from not very much)

I dunno. It failed and was just dumped there I'm guessing. BR was in the process of scrapping them in the early 80s so I guess they weren't in a rush to fix a rather dated loco.

92043 at Northwick park with the Up sleepers on 3.6.21. Very over grown here now making photography very difficult.

1516724475_92043sleeper3.6.21NorthwickParklr.JPG.421c0fa5a8baca5c932c864b44e749fa.JPG

For the earlier working I tried Kenton for 92038.

1233285796_92038SleeperKenton3.6_21lr.JPG.a90c39480cf906b8c6284a2b4e88501c.JPG

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 15

20 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I dunno. It failed and was just dumped there I'm guessing. BR was in the process of scrapping them in the early 80s so I guess they weren't in a rush to fix a rather dated loco.

It's not had the domino headcode treatment, so might have been U/S for a while. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/07/2021 at 18:44, rodent279 said:

What was it doing there? ( Apart from not very much)

I think 83008 was knackered and never ran again.

I recall something about 83008 and Longsight, and I know I saw it at LO several times as a “non running resident” used for some internal purpose, electrification train pantograph testing comes to mind but I don't remember.

tbh I cannot fully recall, however it wasn't withdrawn until 1983, was scrapped with blinds, not converted. I cannot find any pictures of it running post 1981, only images taken at various sidings around LO, which is inline with my recollections. I seem to think 83009 was the same at LO for a while used around the depot for non service purposes too

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think 83008 was knackered and never ran again.

I recall something about 83008 and Longsight, and I know I saw it at LO several times as a “non running resident” used for some internal purpose, electrification train pantograph testing comes to mind but I don't remember.

tbh I cannot fully recall, however it wasn't withdrawn until 1983, was scrapped with blinds, not converted. I cannot find any pictures of it running post 1981, only images taken at various sidings around LO, which is inline with my recollections. I seem to think 83009 was the same at LO for a while used around the depot for non service purposes too

Did they not do something with 83009 at Longsight to use it to convert 25kV AC to 1500V DC to enable testing of the Class 506s while they remained in service after Reddish closed?

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, GordonC said:

Did they not do something with 83009 at Longsight to use it to convert 25kV AC to 1500V DC to enable testing of the Class 506s while they remained in service after Reddish closed?

I suspect that's why it was sat outside the depot in 1983

83009 is seen at Longsight Depot on 27-3-83. I Cuthbertson collection

By Ian Cuthbertson

• Like 16

4S47 - DB 90's - 90037 (Christine) and 90020 (Bumblebee3 - ex-Grand Central livery) heading through Stafford

Monday  2nd August - Just beyond Doxey Junction heading north away from Stafford

Tuesday 3rd August - Passing through Stafford Station

Wednesday 4th August - Approaching Whitehouse Junction heading towards Stafford

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

And even now 50 years later there’s no class 310 model lol

or a complete OLE system to support all these releases to the electric modelling community ... Hornby started one and then stopped when detail began to matter ... PECO and Dapol have picked up the baton but have gone head to head instead of complementary components :-(

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DBC90024 said:

or a complete OLE system to support all these releases to the electric modelling community ... Hornby started one and then stopped when detail began to matter ... PECO and Dapol have picked up the baton but have gone head to head instead of complementary components :-(

I have some sympathy with modellers who avoid "knitting" because it's very easy to damage when accessing the track.  However a lot of modellers of the modern railway seem to contrive geographical oddities so as NOT to have wiring on their layouts (the old "It's a non-electrified loop off the WCML in the Warrington Area" Chestnut).  The layouts I see with wiring are usually of a very high standard, because a modeller who wants to get the catenary right will be a modeller who invariably wants to get EVERYTHING right.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I have some sympathy with modellers who avoid "knitting" because it's very easy to damage when accessing the track.  However a lot of modellers of the modern railway seem to contrive geographical oddities so as NOT to have wiring on their layouts (the old "It's a non-electrified loop off the WCML in the Warrington Area" Chestnut).  The layouts I see with wiring are usually of a very high standard, because a modeller who wants to get the catenary right will be a modeller who invariably wants to get EVERYTHING right.

Yes. But to be fair I just use the uprights and omit the wires. My layout has too many hard to reach areas to have the knitting. I do have ID plates etc on them though lol. I could never run an electric train with no representation of wiring at all. 

• Round of applause 1