On 14/08/2016 at 00:16, Clive Mortimore said:

post-16423-0-75365300-1471130020_thumb.jpg

E3200 at Euston circa 1968. Note BR arrows but still has white cab roof. Could be later because it looks like aircon stock in the background.

Wot like this one, taken with my mum's Brownie 127 camera.

What would become 86429 The Times, which was written off a(along with 86211 (City Of Milton Keynes) at the Colwich rail crash in September 1986

• Like 3

On 19/04/2021 at 15:44, jonny777 said:

Thinking about it; that probably is not a service from Euston, as they would have been Mk3s at the time. 

In fact most services from Euston to Birmingham/Wolverhampton did comprise of a Mk2 rake (with a Mk3 buffet car in the middle) as well as a DVT.

This configuration was also used on the London Euston-Preston services in the 1990's to early 2000's, whilst they also made appearances on Liverpool and Manchester services to London. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DJH1971 said:

In fact most services from Euston to Birmingham/Wolverhampton did comprise of a Mk2 rake (with a Mk3 buffet car in the middle) as well as a DVT.

This configuration was also used on the London Euston-Preston services in the 1990's to early 2000's, whilst they also made appearances on Liverpool and Manchester services to London. 

Even Glasgow on occasions; I've seen a photo of a 2F push-pull set on the Royal Scot in ~1995 iirc. Must've lost some time against the timetable what with the 100 limit for Mk2 stock against the 110mph schedule.

• Like 1

Just now, hexagon789 said:

Even Glasgow on occasions; I've seen a photo of a 2F push-pull set on the Royal Scot in ~1995 iirc. Must've lost some time against the timetable what with the 100 limit for Mk2 stock against the 110mph schedule.

Come to think of it, I now recall seeing 86259 at Carlisle in this configuration as well as 87009 (same configuration) at Warrington Bank Quay both back in 2000 on London Euston to Glasgow Central workings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DJH1971 said:

Come to think of it, I now recall seeing 86259 at Carlisle in this configuration as well as 87009 (same configuration) at Warrington Bank Quay both back in 2000 on London Euston to Glasgow Central workings.

Yes, I've seen photos of Mk2F sets on Glasgows in Virgin days as well, not especially common but it did happen. More often than not it seemed to be the 1405-ish off Glasgow and its inbound working as this was the one which used to convey Motorail vans and so was presumably timed for 100mph thus a Mk2 set substitution wouldn't be an issue. At the same time there would be times, you would imagine, where if only a 2F set was available for whatever reason then it would be pressed onto a 110mph working if required being much more preferable than cancelling the service altogether I would imagine! 

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 07:34, rodent279 said:

86038 did indeed have an AEI cross arm pantograph, seen here in September 1985 rolling into Euston to pick up empty stock.

86038_Euston_28091985

As did non-MU, headlight fitted 86316, seen here running through a snowy Milton Keynes on vans, in February 1986.

86316_MK_13021986_48129093

IIRC all class 87's had cross arm pans, except for 009 "City of Birmingham", until fitted with Brecknell-Willis pans from about 1983-4 on. I've searched Flickr and Google images, and have yet to come across a photo of 87009 with a cross arm pan, even pre-naming. I've only managed to find images as far back as 1977 in which the pan type can be positively identified, so the jury is still out as to whether 009 ever carried a cross arm pan.

I can't remember if any 86/2's had cross arm pans-i don't think so, but someone will no doubt tell me otherwise!

Edit:-a search on Flickr shows that 86420 was another with cross-arm pantograph.

Edit again:-King Arthur was of course 87010. The incident where 010 lost its pan, and my dad's comment that King Arthur had lost his crown is true, but obviously was not 009 as originally stated.

86231 also had an AEI cross-arm

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Up Beattock a steady climb, the grade's against her but she's on time !

Precisely!  If 10,000hp means the Intermodal doesn't slow down over Shap and Beattock, so doesn't use up two paths, yes it needs both locos.  Easy to forget that the intermodal might easily weigh as much as a 25 coach passenger train.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Precisely!  If 10,000hp means the Intermodal doesn't slow down over Shap and Beattock, so doesn't use up two paths, yes it needs both locos.  Easy to forget that the intermodal might easily weigh as much as a 25 coach passenger train.

Or more - I'm sure the 100 SLU length ones on the WCML are in the region of ~1400 tonnes.

(If one takes a passenger coach as the BR standard of 35 tonnes, that would be 40 coaches.)

• Agree 1