Electric Traction bonanza at Crewe Station on Thursday ervening, Bumblebee1 (90026 in ex-Grand Central colours) bringing Tornado to Crewe station from Liverpool Lime Street and whilst there to see it, Caledonian Sleeper came through on P12 as well.

DB Cargo Class 90 026

GBRf's Cally Sleeper liveried Class 92 010

and Tornado 60163 as well

• Like 6

CA039_33_20171030_0002_1200.jpg.0349ec8258c6ba89498dd88a728e8f89.jpg

86401 'Northampton Town' in Network SouthEast livery heads north from Carlisle station towards Kingmoor as it passes Port Carlisle Junction on 18 July 1990. The sheepmount is behind the train. Built as E3199 21 January 1966, it was renumbered 86001 before being finally renumbered to 86401 17 December 1986. It was sold to West Coast Railway Company (WCRC) on 14th February 2020

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

0A06 vs 0Z47 - DB90's vs WCR47's - Bumblebee3 & Dyson Bertolt Brecht vs Duff Chris Fudge and Duff77

I'm sure that you, and others of your ilk, understand this - but it is totally incomprehensible to the casual reader.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I agree, the casual reader probably isn’t here. 

I hate the notion that every loco class has to have some contrived nickname though, not least writing “Dyson” is 250% longer than just writing “92”, as is Skoda/90. It’s like a secret handshake of railway people; only those In the club ‘get it’.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I'm sure that you, and others of your ilk, understand this - but it is totally incomprehensible to the casual reader.

CJI.

Casual readers on rmweb .... on the Photos of AC electric traction .... who cant or wont click on the link to see whats on there?

Gotcha

Skodas are 90s, Dysons are 92s, Some are named, some arent, I nicknamed the Grand Central 90s, Bumblebee1 (90026), Bumblebee2 (90029) and Bumblebee3 (90020) ... (this is in order of their liverying into Grand Central colours before the sad news of the cancellation of the Blackpool North to Euston services - powered by Class 90 locomotives, 5 Mk4 carriages - a first class, restaurant car and three standard class carriages and a Driving Van Trailer ... of which if this had continued to pass - there would have been a fourth and fifth Class 90 in these colours, 90039 and also 90021 in order of their transformation - 90039 was actually at Toton ready to be reliveried when the news broke ...

So,

a good number of people know trains have headcodes, Number, Letter, Number, Number,

a good number of people know trains have operators, often abbreviated like GBRf, DB, FL, DRS and so on... 

a good number of people know trains are named or even nicknamed ... 

So, for example, a DB90 is ..... a DB Cargo Class 90 locomotive ... a WCR47 is a West Coast Railways Class 47 ...

The thing is most of the above is in the description of my listings anyway, so its not like this is a foreign language.

Ultimately, everyone has an opinion - people of ''your ilk'' and so on ... or people like me (i have got back into the railways and modelling after a twenty year period out of it - and have been catching up, following 90s and modelling a little too )

I think its actually incomprehensible only to those who aren't rail enthusiasts AND arent prepared to look at it or even care about it ... which is fine, do we need to chuck mud on those who do care ? i dont think that's necessary but maybe you do ... again Opinions ...

If you want to know more ... follow me in my video diarys of Skodas, Dysons, Cans, Vans, Occasional Tugs, Sheds ohh and Skips as well ... 

If you dont .. thats fine ... there's a world of other things to get on with ...

Kat :-)

Edited by DBC90024

52 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Whilst I agree, the casual reader probably isn’t here. 

I hate the notion that every loco class has to have some contrived nickname though, not least writing “Dyson” is 250% longer than just writing “92”, as is Skoda/90. It’s like a secret handshake of railway people; only those In the club ‘get it’.

interesting points here @njee20 especially the top bit ..

As for it being a secret ... all thats happened is ... the modern railway community is moving with the times, the trains of old were old nicknamed, 37s were tractors, 47s were duffs or brushes, 56s were grids, 58s were bones (apparently - having done some research), 60s - they're tugs, oh, class 08 shunters are gronks ..

and so the newer classes, 57s - body snatchers, 66s - sheds, 59s - sheds on steroids (i like that one), 67s - skips, 90s skodas and 92s Dysons ...

there's no secret ... the secret club is more a club of folk who dont want to accept newbies in or new ideas about doing things or even there's only one way to do something and this isnt it ... that sort of thing ... i am not in that club btw ...

4 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Casual readers on rmweb .... on the Photos of AC electric traction .... who cant or wont click on the link to see whats on there?

Gotcha

Skodas are 90s, Dysons are 92s, Some are named, some arent, I nicknamed the Grand Central 90s, Bumblebee1 (90026), Bumblebee2 (90029) and Bumblebee3 (90020) ... 

So,

a good number of people know trains have headcodes, Number, Letter, Number, Number,

a good number of people know trains have operators, often abbreviated like GBRf, DB, FL, DRS and so on... 

a good number of people know trains are named or even nicknamed ... 

So, for example, a DB90 is ..... a DB Cargo Class 90 locomotive ... a WCR47 is a West Coast Railways Class 47 ...

The thing is most of the above is in the description of my listings anyway, so its not like this is a foreign language.

Ultimately, everyone has an opinion - people of ''your ilk'' and so on ... or people like me (i have got back into the railways and modelling after a twenty year period out of it - and have been catching up, following 90s and modelling a little too )

I think its actually incomprehensible only to those who aren't rail enthusiasts AND arent prepared to look at it or even care about it ... which is fine, do we need to chuck mud on those who do care ? i dont think that's necessary but maybe you do ... again Opinions ...

If you want to know more ... follow me in my video diarys of Skodas, Dysons, Cans, Vans, Occasional Tugs, Sheds ohh and Skips as well ... 

If you dont .. thats fine ... there's a world of other things to get on with ...

KB

Hi There,

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

~ Marcus Aurelius

Gibbo.

PS. I'm quite partial to a Roarer !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

~ Marcus Aurelius

Gibbo.

PS. I'm quite partial to a Roarer !

Again ... interesting approach

I was talking to someone in the Youtube - free to access to ANYONE - Crewe Railcam chatroom in the early hours a few days ago about Roarers ... he was trying to tell me that Roarers include the Class 86, i was like, no, thats wrong, Roarers are 81s, 82s, 83s, 84s and 85s ... 86s were called Cans ... LOL

So, if you're saying Roarers are 85s (the others referred to) and not 86s ... i never saw an 85 in service .. that i can recall ... 86s i love ... like this one ...

but 90s are my real favourite class ... DBs 90s in particular and Malcolm 90024 is my favourite livery (like below)

Again, if anyone here follows me or is thinking of it or just wants to watch the clips - on Youtube, i always say, have a look at my descriptions of the videos i post, they have information relating to what you are actually seeing on the video .. for example, when this loco was liveried, where, if known, recent history, workings, the state of the current class - which locos are operational, which arent ... that sort of thing ... oh .. also which are in what livery etc etc ... and examples of these where possible ... all really to help enlighten those who werent aware ... (i was one of those only a few years ago)

Edited by DBC90024

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

interesting points here @njee20 especially the top bit ..

As for it being a secret ... all thats happened is ... the modern railway community is moving with the times, the trains of old were old nicknamed, 37s were tractors, 47s were duffs or brushes, 56s were grids, 58s were bones (apparently - having done some research), 60s - they're tugs, oh, class 08 shunters are gronks ..

and so the newer classes, 57s - body snatchers, 66s - sheds, 59s - sheds on steroids (i like that one), 67s - skips, 90s skodas and 92s Dysons ...

there's no secret ... the secret club is more a club of folk who dont want to accept newbies in or new ideas about doing things or even there's only one way to do something and this isnt it ... that sort of thing ... i am not in that club btw ...

I know it’s nothing new, and I didn’t like it on 50 year old locos either, it’s pointless, and my reference to secretism is that it’s known only by a subset of enthusiasts. That may be a big subset, but it’s pointless IMO. FWIW I’ve always heard 59s called “super sheds”, never heard “sheds on steroids”, but either is ridiculous. Just say “59”. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Not sure the 81-84 classes were Roarers, I think they had all been withdrawn by the time the new nicknames came about which seemed to stem from the Peak Army generation.

When I was stood at the south end of Crewe (we didn't bother with the north end by the late 70s) we just referred to them by their classes.

• Like 2