1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Not sure the 81-84 classes were Roarers, I think they had all been withdrawn by the time the new nicknames came about which seemed to stem from the Peak Army generation.

When I was stood at the south end of Crewe (we didn't bother with the north end by the late 70s) we just referred to them by their classes.

Ultimately, its each to their own .. one can embrace this or not ... with regards to those classes, they were before my time, we were chatting on Rachel Cope's mini-Wistaston Junction youtube channel where several hundred people were contributing and some of these nicknames came to light ...

4 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Ultimately, its each to their own .. one can embrace this or not ... with regards to those classes, they were before my time, we were chatting on Rachel Cope's mini-Wistaston Junction youtube channel where several hundred people were contributing and some of these nicknames came to light ...

You're right, it is each to their own, I sometimes watch the Crewe cam, there aint a lot to see these days. I'm not really drawn to the chat, but I can see some people get a lot from it and that's fine, it's like a little community for those that do partake.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You're right, it is each to their own, I sometimes watch the Crewe cam, there aint a lot to see these days. I'm not really drawn to the chat, but I can see some people get a lot from it and that's fine, it's like a little community for those that do partake.

there are times when there's nothing to see there of course, 

the week day evenings are the best times ... weekends are quiet there for the most part ... its probably busiest in the lead up to the Caledonian Sleeper coming in to the station ...

it used to be better with Camera 5 as it was positioned by the entrance to the Chester line but showing the northern part of the station as well ... DB use this for access to Crewe IEMD as well as other operators using the UDL and Platform 12 for steam trains, railtours, occasional freight movements etc 

NB - In the interests of those reading this - wanting to see what we are talking about simply go to youtube.com and put in Crewe Camera 2, Cheshire UK ... and you will get to see what we're discussing - this is a live feed from Crewe station with a free to access chatroom (i'd share the link but i might get into mischief)

Edited by DBC90024
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, DBC90024 said:

Casual readers on rmweb .... on the Photos of AC electric traction .... who cant or wont click on the link to see whats on there?

Gotcha

Skodas are 90s, Dysons are 92s, Some are named, some arent, I nicknamed the Grand Central 90s, Bumblebee1 (90026), Bumblebee2 (90029) and Bumblebee3 (90020) ... (this is in order of their liverying into Grand Central colours before the sad news of the cancellation of the Blackpool North to Euston services - powered by Class 90 locomotives, 5 Mk4 carriages - a first class, restaurant car and three standard class carriages and a Driving Van Trailer ... of which if this had continued to pass - there would have been a fourth and fifth Class 90 in these colours, 90039 and also 90021 in order of their transformation - 90039 was actually at Toton ready to be reliveried when the news broke ...

So,

a good number of people know trains have headcodes, Number, Letter, Number, Number,

a good number of people know trains have operators, often abbreviated like GBRf, DB, FL, DRS and so on... 

a good number of people know trains are named or even nicknamed ... 

So, for example, a DB90 is ..... a DB Cargo Class 90 locomotive ... a WCR47 is a West Coast Railways Class 47 ...

The thing is most of the above is in the description of my listings anyway, so its not like this is a foreign language.

Ultimately, everyone has an opinion - people of ''your ilk'' and so on ... or people like me (i have got back into the railways and modelling after a twenty year period out of it - and have been catching up, following 90s and modelling a little too )

I think its actually incomprehensible only to those who aren't rail enthusiasts AND arent prepared to look at it or even care about it ... which is fine, do we need to chuck mud on those who do care ? i dont think that's necessary but maybe you do ... again Opinions ...

If you want to know more ... follow me in my video diarys of Skodas, Dysons, Cans, Vans, Occasional Tugs, Sheds ohh and Skips as well ... 

If you dont .. thats fine ... there's a world of other things to get on with ...

Kat :-)

I have pretty much zero interest in the current railway scene - but I do click here because there might JUST be images of AC locos that do interest me very much indeed - the first generation ones.

I too indulged in nicknames when I was a juvenile spotter - it made me feel that I was 'one of the gang' and 'cool'. However, I would not have dreamt of using such nicknames in conversation with more mature enthusiasts, nor would I use them now.

Frankly, the type of caption which prompted my post conveys an immature, cliquey attitude - WE know what we are talking about, and we rather like the fact that YOU don't.

This is a forum for a broad range of ages and interests; posters should aim to be comprehensible to the entire membership, IMHO.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I too indulged in nicknames when I was a juvenile spotter - it made me feel that I was 'one of the gang' and 'cool'. However, I would not have dreamt of using such nicknames in conversation with more mature enthusiasts, nor would I use them now.

Wow, when I was a teenager, being known as a train spotter made me about as far from those things as it was possible to be!  I knew other boys at secondary school who had a train set but never anyone with my all-consuming interest, in a school of nearly 1000 pupils.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I have pretty much zero interest in the current railway scene - but I do click here because there might JUST be images of AC locos that do interest me very much indeed - the first generation ones.

Frankly, the type of caption which prompted my post conveys an immature, cliquey attitude - WE know what we are talking about, and we rather like the fact that YOU don't.

This is a forum for a broad range of ages and interests; posters should aim to be comprehensible to the entire membership, IMHO.

CJI.

And thats why most, if not all of my videos have a good degree of background into what you either see or read ..  so, there's some abbreviations and nicknames ... those are all explained in the description content below ... and thats for anyone to view and look at ... and none of it is complicated ... its just my take ..  and i will often refer to a loco with its nick and its running number as well ...  and all this ties nicely in to the broad range of ages and interests ... you like the first generation electrics, i appreciate them but i am not avid follower of the history of them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Wow, when I was a teenager, being known as a train spotter made me about as far from those things as it was possible to be!  I knew other boys at secondary school who had a train set but never anyone with my all-consuming interest, in a school of nearly 1000 pupils.

Hi Northmoor,

Sounds like you need a bit of Marcus Aurelius also:

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

it used to be better with Camera 5 as it was positioned by the entrance to the Chester line but showing the northern part of the station as well ... DB use this for access to Crewe IEMD as well as other operators using the UDL and Platform 12 for steam trains, railtours, occasional freight movements etc

So has Crewe Cam 2 been repositioned or was the nice full on view of the north end only on Cam 5.

That's basically taken out most of the interesting movements at Crewe, not that I can really complain, it was a free cam after all......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So has Crewe Cam 2 been repositioned or was the nice full on view of the north end only on Cam 5.

That's basically taken out most of the interesting movements at Crewe, not that I can really complain, it was a free cam after all......

Crewe Cam 2 has been upgraded ... and we were given Cam 5 for a while i undersand for free ... 

Personally i preferred Cam5 as i got to see the movements out of Crewe IEMD so i could go and catch them just down the line ...

13 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Crewe Cam 2 has been upgraded ... and we were given Cam 5 for a while i undersand for free ... 

Personally i preferred Cam5 as i got to see the movements out of Crewe IEMD so i could go and catch them just down the line ...

That's a pity, without those extra moves, especially when you will hear them but see them will keep me away.

Ahhh, there's always Belen, never a dull moment here.

• Like 1

the thing is @woodenhead and @JeffP if you love UK traction and WCML traction in particular, you are going to hanker for that and that alone - for me - i have little time for the stuff in america ... i find the american stuff rather amusing ... the notion of a train stopping a city for three hours whilst it passes by is really quite farcical .. never mind their progress with HSR ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Clearly, you were born too late!

In our secondary school, we had a railway club, headed by a teacher, who organised weekend spotting tours via coach.

Happy days.

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

the thing is @woodenhead and @JeffP if you love UK traction and WCML traction in particular, you are going to hanker for that and that alone

Surely you can like multiple things? I love UK traction, and the WCML in particular, but I also like US, French and Swiss railways. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

the thing is @woodenhead and @JeffP if you love UK traction and WCML traction in particular, you are going to hanker for that and that alone - for me - i have little time for the stuff in america ... i find the american stuff rather amusing ... the notion of a train stopping a city for three hours whilst it passes by is really quite farcical .. never mind their progress with HSR ...

I think what I am is the 1970s equivalent of the steam enthusiast, we remember something and to us it is special. 

My spots were Crewe, Birmingham, York and Cardiff, there is nowhere now on the UK network where I could be stood at 1am in the morning at a station with 10 through lines and seven of them contain freight trains either moving slowly or changing crew - that was Cardiff Central just a few years before the South Wales industrial base was decimated when night time would be filled with freight, no electrics I am afraid, but lots of loose coupled, slow moving freight.  The only other place I remember like it was Stratford in London, but still not on the scale of Cardiff.  So now I get my freight fix from the US, dont get me wrong it's great seeing all the freight now on the WCML but it's just not what I remember.

Lets get back onto electrics

IMG_20140729_0006

81006 47592 at crewe 29.06.84_0007_NEW

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 15

33 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I think what I am is the 1970s equivalent of the steam enthusiast, we remember something and to us it is special. 

My spots were Crewe, Birmingham, York and Cardiff, there is nowhere now on the UK network where I could be stood at 1am in the morning at a station with 10 through lines and seven of them contain freight trains either moving slowly or changing crew - that was Cardiff Central just a few years before the South Wales industrial base was decimated when night time would be filled with freight, no electrics I am afraid, but lots of loose coupled, slow moving freight.  The only other place I remember like it was Stratford in London, but still not on the scale of Cardiff.  So now I get my freight fix from the US, dont get me wrong it's great seeing all the freight now on the WCML but it's just not what I remember.

Lets get back onto electrics

IMG_20140729_0006

81006 47592 at crewe 29.06.84_0007_NEW

Things may have changed, but there are still a good number of stations to see alot of freight movements ... Crewe is still really good, again, it depends on where and when you go - and the same could be said for Stafford where there are no avoiders (aside from the Macclesfield line to Rugeley line via Hixon)

When i was out the other day, Wednesday, i saw at different points of the day

FL90s on 4M45

Royal Scot Steam

DB60 on DCR working

DB90s on 4M25

DRS 88 on 4S44

Colas 70s x3

DB90 and DB92 on 0A06

WCR 47s x2

FL90s on 4L90

FL90s on 4M87

Pride on 4L60

DB90s on 4S47

DB90 on 0K06

And thats not including several 66s i didnt stay to see or document, a couple more 88s and the sleeper 92

Yes, it isnt as diverse as it used to be, but thats not bad

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Clearly, you were born too late!

In our secondary school, we had a railway club, headed by a teacher, who organised weekend spotting tours via coach.

Happy days.

John Isherwood.

I remember a school holiday to London from Warrington ,must have been 1973 or 74 , a teacher organised a day visiting stations etc, Clapham junction sticks in my mind ,all kinds of strange 3 rail things to be seen,happy days !

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, D410Monarch said:

I remember a school holiday to London from Warrington ,must have been 1973 or 74 , a teacher organised a day visiting stations etc, Clapham junction sticks in my mind ,all kinds of strange 3 rail things to be seen,happy days !

Lucky people!

I grew up in West Wales in the 1980s; other boys my age were interested in either rugby (which I didn't want to play), fishing/rural sports (which I did do a little bit of), or the most common pastime, complaining that nothing every happened around here.  Fortunately I inherited my interest from my Dad who was only slightly less obsessed with railways than I was, so our holidays always had some railway-related activities.  It is also why so many happy memories of my childhood/youth do not involve anyone else my own age; I was happy with my own company most of the time.

I guess my interest in AC Electrics reflects that coming from where I did, these were exciting and different to anything I saw routinely, just as seeing 20s, 40s, Peaks or 3rd-rail EMUs would have been.

In what can only be described as an unusual occurence, but maybe one which was set in the stars, or would appear to have been set in the stars, a nice pleasant evening in Stafford, in early October, the DB Cargo Class 90s, Bumblebee1 (90026) and Multimodal (90019) operating on 4S47 dragged into the UDL at P7 to allow for being clear of 1Z81 heading along the upslow approaching Stafford from the north, West Coast Railways pair of Class 57s on a railtour - the DB90s came in for a rare opportunity to be captured by me. It has been an unusual day but a truly brilliant one all along, and makes up for missing Malcolm and Backbone on 0K06 last night.

I have never been so grateful to see a Class 57 before as I have tonight.

Whilst its unusual to see 4S47 held here, its not unusual to see a DB90 or even a 90 here, some examples of this class being seen here previously are:

Christine (90037), Bumblebee1 (90026) and 2 (90029) arriving to get out of the way of Northbound Malcolm Rail service, headcode 4S47 Multimodal and Jack (90019 and 90036)

This used to be my wallpaper clip on Youtube, five active working DB90s in a few feet of each other .. what a lovely sight !!!

• Like 3

On 08/10/2021 at 06:56, Johnson Street IEMD said:

DB Cargo Class 90035 returning to Crewe from Rectory Junction, having finished its sabatical on the DATS Midland Mainline Electrification testing project, seen here Barthomew Junction, with DB pool mates Class 67005 and 67025.

Hi There,

Get it while you can because global madness is affecting electric locomotives:

https://www.railfreight.com/railfreight/2021/10/13/freightliner-takes-down-electric-locs-due-to-high-electricity-prices/?fbclid=IwAR3Zmw4or4RoLEtwL_A8PebZJsEAi4W81eSmDPxr2D81tZ0lfMZ14hN_Wqs&gdpr=accept&gdpr=deny

You can't make this stuff up !?!?!

Gibbo.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1