1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

Get it while you can because global madness is affecting electric locomotives:

https://www.railfreight.com/railfreight/2021/10/13/freightliner-takes-down-electric-locs-due-to-high-electricity-prices/?fbclid=IwAR3Zmw4or4RoLEtwL_A8PebZJsEAi4W81eSmDPxr2D81tZ0lfMZ14hN_Wqs&gdpr=accept&gdpr=deny

You can't make this stuff up !?!?!

Gibbo.

interesting that DB have been quoted as saying they arent going to change theirs, amusingly, when in sad reality, how many UK wide electric-hauled freight services do they deliver ? two a day ? as opposed to Freightliners eight, ten or it might even be more 

Kat :-(

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Been looking through lots of my old prints (B&W and Colour); found this one from the Anglia 86 Farewell tour in 2003.  This is Royal Anglian Regiment at Cambridge after the first leg from Liverpool St.  Crown Point was on the other end, in which I enjoyed a very privileged cab ride between Colchester and Clacton.

1727731971_123_1986ontour@Cambridge.jpg.586f2545a7be87611c8275c29f5d4a4e.jpg

• Like 14

4S47 - DB90's - Bumblebee1 leading Multimodal into the UDL @Stafford station - it had 2 be today :-)

In what can only be described as an unusual occurence, but maybe one which was set in the stars, or would appear to have been set in the stars, a nice pleasant evening in Stafford, in early October, the DB Cargo Class 90s, Bumblebee1 (90026) and Multimodal (90019) operating on 4S47 dragged into the UDL at P7 to allow for being clear of 1Z81 heading along the upslow approaching Stafford from the north, WCRC 57s on a railtour - the DB90s came in for a rare opportunity to be captured by me. It has been an unusual day but a truly brilliant one all along, and makes up for missing Malcolm and Backbone on 0K06 last night.

I have never been so grateful to see a Class 57 before as I have tonight. Whilst its unusual to see 4S47 held here, its not unusual to see a DB90 or even a 90 here, some examples of this class being seen here previously are:

Christine (90037), Bumblebee1 (90026) and 2 (90029) (arriving to get out of the way of 4S47)

Christine, Bumblebee1 and 2 (allowing Jack (90036) and Multimodal (90019), on 4S47, to get out of the way)

Freightliner's newly reliveried Class 90, 90003 on its way back to Crewe Basford Hall from Wolverton paintshop

• Like 2

4S47 - DB90's - Bumblebee3 (90020) leading Jack (90036) on this evening's blue box shipment to Mossend Maritime Euroterminal

DB Cargo's current active Class 90 pairing of 90020 and 90036 heading through Stafford station on this (14th) cold mid-October evening. 90020, nicknamed "Bumblebee3", the third of three former Grand central liveried Class 90s; 90026 and 90029, 026 the first and 029 the second. The plan was for five DB90s to operate the Grand Central service from Blackpool north to London Euston. This service was abandoned following the emergence of the global pandemic, Covid-19.

90036, nicknamed "Jack", was the first DB Schenker liveried class 90 and was named "Driver Jack Mills" at Crewe station and the naming ceremony was recorded by fellow Youtuber Sim0nTrains.

Jack was later de-Schenkered as DB Schenker was changed to DB Cargo. 90029 and 90040 which were also liveried into DBS were also de-Schenkered. Bumblebee3 and Jack have just relieved DB's most hard working Skoda pair Bumblebee1 (90026) and Multimodal (90019).

This pairing had just picked up the Malcolm Rail service at Daventry, with the previous pair Multimodal (90019) and Bumblebee1 (90026) having headed home from Mossend along with Christine (90037) light engine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2021 at 19:08, montyburns56 said:

82005 Euston?? by Daniel Shaw

Yes that’s Euston. When they had a small fleet of 82s and 83s specifically for taking carriage stock between the depot and station. Restricted to 40mph. The 82s went in 1987 and the 83s in 1989. Examples of both received intercity executive livery!

The paintwork is due to the constant passage through the carriage washing plant !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate they were small in number but I really think that cl81-84 would sell in sufficient numbers to justify a model. 

81s we’re long lasting and easily as viable as the 85 has been. 

82 and 83 could be done in multiple liveries including intercity. The 84 is the  one with the least commercial options. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Appreciate they were small in number but I really think that cl81-84 would sell in sufficient numbers to justify a model. 

81s we’re long lasting and easily as viable as the 85 has been. 

82 and 83 could be done in multiple liveries including intercity. The 84 is the  one with the least commercial options. 

I'd love to see models of these, I'm not sure there would be much to pick in terms of popularity between the 82-84 classes though since the Class 84s had the RTC load bank one which could be dragged away from the wires more prototypically and RTC models always sell well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I'd love to see models of these, I'm not sure there would be much to pick in terms of popularity between the 82-84 classes though since the Class 84s had the RTC load bank one which could be dragged away from the wires more prototypically and RTC models always sell well.

Agreed but the mobile load bank 84 would require retooling for only one potential run of models (additional grilles etc). Maybe an NRM tie in with 84001 but I doubt they value the 84 enough in their collection. 

Heljan milked the mouldings and variants for their 86s and indeed all their diesels so they could put out at least 4 variants for any class even without numbering options 

All could be done electric blue no panels, electric blue panels, rail blue pre TOPs, rail blue TOPS then the intercity for the 82 and 83 and the RTC for the 84.

Edited by ianmacc
Clarity
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As an aside, silver fox make a decent class 81. It’s over 200 quid ready to run but it uses a brand new Hornby class 87 chassis so it’s actually good value considering the bespoke nature of it. Better than the old faithful triang model and the trix model. This is mine. 

45E1C564-B27F-4731-A7CD-D027181D5613.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Agreed but the mobile load bank 84 would require retooling for only one potential run of models (additional grilles etc). Maybe an NRM tie in with 84001 but I doubt they value the 84 enough in their collection. 

Heljan milked the mouldings and variants for their 86s and indeed all their diesels so they could put out at least 4 variants for any class even without numbering options 

All could be done electric blue no panels, electric blue panels, rail blue pre TOPs, rail blue TOPS then the intercity for the 82 and 83 and the RTC for the 84.

Thats true about separate tooling for the RTC Class 84, but its always something thats easier to do if its taken into account when developing the model and tooling from scratch rather than trying to retro-fit later. I'd think the additional tooling could more than pay its way even if its limited to a single livery. Bear in mind the Prototype Deltic was with the NRM and it seems to have done well for what was initially a single livery too although they have added variations since to satisfy demand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

As an aside, silver fox make a decent class 81. It’s over 200 quid ready to run but it uses a brand new Hornby class 87 chassis so it’s actually good value considering the bespoke nature of it. Better than the old faithful triang model and the trix model. This is mine. 

45E1C564-B27F-4731-A7CD-D027181D5613.jpeg

hmmm yeah it looks ok, but for that kind of money I think the conversions I've seen from a Bachmann Class 85 into an 81 have been more impressive and capture the cab shape better though, especially around the tail lights and cab edge curves. Of course there is a length difference between the two, but unless you have the two parked side by side, I think thats less obvious

Was there not a DC kits Class 81 at one point too? I'm not sure if I can remember seeing one of those built and in the flesh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GordonC said:

hmmm yeah it looks ok, but for that kind of money I think the conversions I've seen from a Bachmann Class 85 into an 81 have been more impressive and capture the cab shape better though, especially around the tail lights and cab edge curves. Of course there is a length difference between the two, but unless you have the two parked side by side, I think thats less obvious

Was there not a DC kits Class 81 at one point too? I'm not sure if I can remember seeing one of those built and in the flesh.

Yes there was a DC kits class 81 and 85. There’s an 81 on eBay at the moment that’s a reasonable fist but at 129 pounds I’d want better than what looks like a Margate Hornby chassis underneath. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Yes there was a DC kits class 81 and 85. There’s an 81 on eBay at the moment that’s a reasonable fist but at 129 pounds I’d want better than what looks like a Margate Hornby chassis underneath. 

I think Charlie actually did all five classes; I have an 82 (not built) and I know of another person with an 84 that got at least part-built.

7 hours ago, GordonC said:

Thats true about separate tooling for the RTC Class 84, but its always something thats easier to do if its taken into account when developing the model and tooling from scratch rather than trying to retro-fit later. I'd think the additional tooling could more than pay its way even if its limited to a single livery. Bear in mind the Prototype Deltic was with the NRM and it seems to have done well for what was initially a single livery too although they have added variations since to satisfy demand

I presume Heljan are using different inserts on a main mould for separate details, but a Loadbank 84 would need them in large areas of bodyside and separate infills along the top of the cantrail as some of these were missing from it on later years. There's also the cornundrum of what is really on the roof as the pan was moved to the other end of the roof when the loco was converted. 

Plus if they produced a Loadbank, modellers would have nothing to do....

• Agree 1