On 26/10/2021 at 19:23, ianmacc said:

Yes that’s Euston. When they had a small fleet of 82s and 83s specifically for taking carriage stock between the depot and station. Restricted to 40mph. The 82s went in 1987 and the 83s in 1989. Examples of both received intercity executive livery!

The paintwork is due to the constant passage through the carriage washing plant !

During my eight months as a secondman at Stonebridge Park we often worked on or cadged a lift on those empty stock moves with the 82s and 83s, they were really rough riders and you felt like you were bouncing off the walls when you went down the 'rat hole' at Euston. I remember one of them still had its old headcode blinds in place at both ends and I tried to change the numbers once, but found the mechanism had been partly removed and my key would no longer fit!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

During my eight months as a secondman at Stonebridge Park we often worked on or cadged a lift on those empty stock moves with the 82s and 83s, they were really rough riders and you felt like you were bouncing off the walls when you went down the 'rat hole' at Euston. I remember one of them still had its old headcode blinds in place at both ends and I tried to change the numbers once, but found the mechanism had been partly removed and my key would no longer fit!

That indicates the suspension was probably pretty tired by then, at no more than 40mph it should have been comfortable (and probably says more about the dreadful state of the track at that time, just outside one of Britain's most important stations).

83012/E3035 retains its headcode blinds and mechanism and we used to reset it occasionally for Open Weekends; 82008 lost the mechanism when the marker light panels were welded over the hole in the early 80s.  We did consider making up a new mechanism, or some sort of frame to slot plates in and give the impression of a headcode box; it would have allowed us to back-date it to E3054 appearance, although it would have had to lose the air tanks to be prototypically correct and it was never going to be a priority job, compared to just keeping the rain out of the locos when they got parked outside for extended periods.

• Informative/Useful 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a gap of several months it looks as though Freightliner are once again taking their class 90s for a spin on the wheel lathe at Midland Road.  Probably no great surprise given the season.

On 22nd November 2021 66560 hurries through Brighouse with 90007 and 90047 in tow, working as 0E90, Crewe Basford Hall to Leeds Balm Road.

1164433484_6656090007900470E90Brighouse221120211-RMweb.jpg.61216627db07006f1ed430e56342b123.jpg

1899539053_6656090007900470E90Brighouse221120212-RMweb.jpg.cb32d5d341b99d8fab180518825a3fb3.jpg

Edited by 4630
re-upload photos
  • Like 13

On 27/10/2021 at 18:02, ianmacc said:

Yes there was a DC kits class 81 and 85. There’s an 81 on eBay at the moment that’s a reasonable fist but at 129 pounds I’d want better than what looks like a Margate Hornby chassis underneath. 

I've converted two DC Kits 81s into DCC runners using the latest Hornby Chinese DCC compatible 86 chassis.  They just need the ends chopping off and buffer beams removing (I know the underframe kit is different but I didn't want to weaken the chassis by cutting it off and replacing it).  Trouble is the "wavy snot" 86s are rare as hen's teeth and fetch stupid money, probably because others want that DCC chassis for other projects.

The fact it hasn't appeared in their range, even as a Railroad model, for a while does make me wonder if it will re-appear or not.  I could certainly use a couple more chassis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jack (90036) taking DB Cargo team mate Class 92, 92042 back to.Creee IEMD, the Dyson still in DB Schenker branding, following its period of time before maintenance on HS1.

This is the northern part of the movement which sees the 92 moved from Dollands Moor to Wembley  sidings by a Class 66 or 67 before being hauled north by a cariety of DB traction. 

This is due to the Class 92 no longer being able to operate through the third rail areas between Wembley and Dollands Moor. As a result, the 92s are moved back and forth regularly.

14th December 2021

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

Jack (90036) taking DB Cargo team mate Class 92, 92042 back to.Creee IEMD, the Dyson still in DB Schenker branding, following its period of time before maintenance on HS1.

This is the northern part of the movement which sees the 92 moved from Dollands Moor to Wembley  sidings by a Class 66 or 67 before being hauled north by a cariety of DB traction. 

This is due to the Class 92 no longer being able to operate through the third rail areas between Wembley and Dollands Moor. As a result, the 92s are moved back and forth regularly.

14th December 2021

I'm fairly sure that the DBC 92s are no longer certified to run under their own power on any NR infrastructure either AC or DC and are confined to ET and for those with the right software, HS1 and its electrified connections/sidings at Barking.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2