• RMweb Premium

Here's one for Bob C in particular - Euston July 1979.

87033 and 86205 wait to leave with northbound expresses.

attachicon.gifFile2185.jpg

Hi Pete

Thanks for Posting, interestingly for me, that the very month I started, on the 7th if memory serves, who knows l could have been lurking somewhere in the back ground!

Bob C

Loving these photos!. Unfortunately my old instamatic photos from Coventry and its environs are lost in the mists of time....what was humdrum daily occurrences we never looked or thought twice about are pretty special memories in hindsight. Good work people. Thanks to Rugd1022 for the great Rugby pictures. Again! Cheers Nidge.

Regards

Guy

• RMweb Premium

Enjoying seeing these photos of the WCML electrics. I grew up in Macclesfield so saw them every day with trips to Manchester, Stoke and London. In the 70's they were so fast and modern. I remember seeing my first 87, 87007, when new at Stoke.

It is really interesting to see the atmospheric photos  at Rugby of trains going through the vast old station. Any shots of classes 82,3 & 5 on their ECS duties at Euston would be interesting, as they were often viewed but hard to capture. No photos from me as they were too fast for the Box Brownie (incredible), Instamatic and other cast-off cameras I had!

Dava

What excellent timing this thread is. I now live just South of Crewe and often pop down Casey Lane just to see a few trains as I did on Saturday afternoon (bit more vegetation around now than in those pics in post #34 though) :)

I had only been thinking the other day that I hadn't seen any 86's for a while and despite seeing a fair few 90's I wasn't photographing any of them........so Saturday afternoon I went down to rectify that and came away with these 2 quite pleasing shots......

90048 still in it's old freightliner livery approaching Basford Hall Junction on the down slow

post-21158-0-59328100-1471253296_thumb.jpg

and 86608 leading 86627 on the same line some 10 minutes later

post-21158-0-60198600-1471253309_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I don't know if it's still the case with more modern stock but I was once told by a WCML electrics driver that, with a rake of mk1s, if you came through Tring at 100 mph and then shut off power, with a favourable wind (green lights all the way), it was possible to coast the last thirty miles at 100 mph, all the way into Euston, neither braking or applying power.

My first ever electric run to Euston, shortly after electrification, was behind E3004 and we pulled into the terminus alongside E3008.

• Like 2

I don't know if it's still the case with more modern stock but I was once told by a WCML electrics driver that, with a rake of mk1s, if you came through Tring at 100 mph and then shut off power, with a favourable wind (green lights all the way), it was possible to coast the last thirty miles at 100 mph, all the way into Euston, neither braking or applying power.

My first ever electric run to Euston, shortly after electrification, was behind E3004 and we pulled into the terminus alongside E3008.

That coasting into London from Tring sounds about right, with a 66 hauled 60mph freight and a clear run I can often do the same thing, only having to brake for the expected two yellows just south of Harrow for stopping at Wembley Yard. Saves an awful lot of fuel and earache.

Talking of Tring, the cutting there is where I nearly met my maker back in 1983 as a very green and naïve secondman, I'd got down to use the SPT on the Down Slow and was almost taken out by an 87 hauled express on the Up Fast. Learnt a lesson that day I can tell you!

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to see here in a photo taken from a window on the first floor of Ladywell House north of Preston Station.

post-7024-0-83720200-1471300403_thumb.jpg

A couple of electrics at Preston, a little bit earlier than the one above.

post-7024-0-74605000-1471300554_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-17518800-1471300569_thumb.jpg

I'm fairly certain I can find some more somewhere.............. I am also certain that the bottom one is at New Street. D'oh

Edited by 96701
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

This is rapidly becoming my all time favourite thread,  loving all the Banger Blue photos from the late 70s, early 80s, a big thank you to all the contributors . Please please please keep em coming!

Bob C