2 hours ago, DY444 said:

Looks like a 4 CEP motor coach

Same photographer. Same date  different angle. M653.. some sort of EMU? 

Copyright Gordon Edgar on Flikr. 

Regards

Guy

Screenshot_20200319-212012_Flickr.jpg

Screenshot_20200319-212857_Flickr.jpg

Edited by balders
Addition
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

At the time of the storage of the locos at Bury,  BR were conducting  push-pull operation trials using a diesel loco and a set which I believe was Southern EMU stock, those trials took place in the North of England,    is it possible we have the  converted SR stock at Bury?

post script:

The 1967 Bournemouth electrification scheme incorporated push-pull  class 33 + EMU combinations,  I recall reports in Railway Magazine  of BR experimenting with  high speed  diesel push-pull operations outside of the Southern, 

Edited by Pandora
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, Pandora said:

At the time of the storage of the locos at Bury,  BR were conducting  push-pull operation trials using a diesel loco and a set which I believe was Southern EMU stock, those trials took place in the North of England,    is it possible we have the  converted SR stock at Bury?

post script:

The 1967 Bournemouth electrification scheme incorporated push-pull  class 33 + EMU combinations,  I recall reports in Railway Magazine  of BR experimenting with  high speed  diesel push-pull operations outside of the Southern, 

I seem to remember some trials were on the ECML. I'm sure there was a photo in a monthly magazine of a train passing Essendine, or near there. 

1 hour ago, Pandora said:

post script:

I was wondering if it was a 2-EPB trailer. The number sequence is class 416 minus the M prefix. Profile is very similar. 

Regards 

Guy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/03/2020 at 16:04, Pandora said:

Those modern 25 kV  locos failed due their the late-Edwardian technology of  AC to DC rectification of power  by Mercury arc rectifiers,  basically valve technology,  dependable  in a fixed installation but not in a  bouncing lurching railway locomotive,  the locos were sent to Doncaster for upgraded rectifiers based on semiconductors,  I saw a small number of the locos  in their bedraggled state  as they passed through St James Bridge station ( Doncaster) , arriving from the direction of Sheffield  as they made their way to the Plant Works

Well put.  For RMWebbers who've never seen one, this is on display (and active) at Kempton Water Works Museum; the bright light is the striking of an arc off a pool of mercury.  As Pandora says, imagine trying to control that in a locomotive bouncing along at 100mph.  Then also consider what might have happened to the glass casing and all the mercury in a major crash..... you can see why solid-state rectifiers were incorporated "with aplomb" (love that word).

758332453_KemptonRectifier.JPG.7c7dadb32a191f3c3acfd4d87ff8b4fe.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Well put.  For RMWebbers who've never seen one, this is on display (and active) at Kempton Water Works Museum; the bright light is the striking of an arc off a pool of mercury.  As Pandora says, imagine trying to control that in a locomotive bouncing along at 100mph.  Then also consider what might have happened to the glass casing and all the mercury in a major crash..... you can see why solid-state rectifiers were incorporated "with aplomb" (love that word).

758332453_KemptonRectifier.JPG.7c7dadb32a191f3c3acfd4d87ff8b4fe.JPG

Mercury  arc rectifiers were very durable when operating in a suitable environment,  an Uncle worked in an Engineering shop,  their 60 year old, yet still fit for purpose, overhead gantry crane was powered by such a rectifier, I can recall the glow from the rectifier cabinet on the shopfloor.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a more up to date note.

The 90s on the GEML have almost certainly been effectively stood down (yes, I'm aware they'll be back as Freightliner locos) as a result of the reduced services introduced with the virus situation, the services can be handled by the in service 745s, a 90 set will be on standby until the end of the month (March 2020) when they will all finish

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, beast66606 said:

On a more up to date note.

The 90s on the GEML have almost certainly been effectively stood down (yes, I'm aware they'll be back as Freightliner locos) as a result of the reduced services introduced with the virus situation, the services can be handled by the in service 745s, a 90 set will be on standby until the end of the month (March 2020) when they will all finish

As a kid watching them blast up the WCML they looked so new and elegant that I couldn't imagine this day coming. Will that be the last of the 90s working passenger services then? I know it's been a while since they have been on their original hunting grounds with a regular passenger service. But have they taken up service anywhere else that's past me by? (sorry if I've missed something here, not lived in the UK for 7 years now).

All the best,

Dabe

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To all intents and purposes GE 90 hauled trains have probably finished,  whether any go to Bounds Green this week remains to be seen,  I will miss driving them on that job.

They are due to start work with grand central on Blackpool shortly but I would think this maybe put back now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It's looking like 90008 will work 1P04, 06:30, Liv St - Norwich tomorrow (Mon) and then *may* work 1P23, 09:00 Norwich - Liv St, if it does it will then work 1P24, 11:30 Liv St - Norwich and again *may* then work 1P43, 14:00 Norwich - Liv St, if it does it will then work 1P44, 16:30 Liv St - Norwich and then "thats all folks"

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 19/03/2020 at 21:24, balders said:

Same photographer. Same date  different angle. M653.. some sort of EMU? 

Copyright Gordon Edgar on Flikr. 

Regards

Guy

Screenshot_20200319-212012_Flickr.jpg

Screenshot_20200319-212857_Flickr.jpg

The Woodhead loco,  is it "Tommy" the prototype of the fleet?

• RMweb Premium

Lovely in-cab shots there.  Here's one but not by me, credited to my ACLG colleague Keith Singleton who was in the cab of 86101 on its debut railtour (24th March 2007) and took this as it romped through Tebay.  On the return it hauled 13 coaches plus a dead 47 over the top of Shap at 75mph. 

1580272465_PassingTebay.jpg.378f71fa741506cf4851175ca65f5ba8.jpg

• Like 18