I am attempting to make a river bridge using polystyrene as a starting place and former.

I need to roll out 3 pieces of Das. 1 as the under bridge piece and 2 as the arched shape side pieces.

Do I need to produce all 3 simultaneously and fit them all together? This way the edges can be moulded together whilst damp.

Or can I shape 1 piece at a time? Fitting 1 piece before making the next? Or will joining the 2 edges together be hard to obtain a decent finish?

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Premium

I've used a lot of DAS on viaducts and have always used several pieces. I roll it out and then roughly shape it with a knife and then put PVA on the bridge structure and place the DAS onto it. I try to form corners at the same time. It is possible to put several pieces on whilst it's wet and some excess PVA helps you to smooth out the join. It depends as to whether you are working the surface wet or dry. I work it wet if I want a rough stone finish and dry if I want a smoother finish. If I'm working it wet then you are limited as to the size of the sheet that you can work before it dries, which goes quicker the thinner the sheet is.

Hope this is of help. There are some photos of using DAS to cover a house that I'm doing on the latest page of my layout thread. Some of that has been worked dry and some wet depending n the type of stonework.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Jamie, what minimum and maximum thickness of das should I aim for?

I generally go for about 1.5mm, any thinner it flakes away when you carve it. One tip is to roll it out on a flat board that has a couple of strips of 60 thou plasticard glued to it these then act as size guides if you roll the DAS between the strips. The thinner it is the quicker it dries.

Jamie

• Like 1

I have found DAS to be very user friendly.  If you find it taking longer than expected to get a piece to the size and shape you want, and that it is drying out too quickly, it will respond to the addition of a little water.  In fact, if you add too much water, it will turn into a paste - which also has its uses from time to time.  It is possible to reconstitute old stock from a part-used pack if desperate!

Harold.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I finally decided to roll some DAS and stick it on the bridge.  Having smoothed it out on all 3 surfaces I started scribing whilst wet and in about 3 hours it was complete.

Drying out is now taking place and hopefully the DAS will remain in place.

20190501_092122.jpg

20190501_092339.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Bridge looks good,  but from a constructional point of view the arch is a bit flat. It should be semi circular or with a continuously sweeping curve as that is where it gets it's strength for the deck.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Bridge looks good,  but from a constructional point of view the arch is a bit flat. It should be semi circular or with a continuously sweeping curve as that is where it gets it's strength for the deck.

Yes, agreed.  My thought processess overlooked that.  

3 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Brunel had a thing about 'flat arches' so I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes he did - This one at Maidenhead on the GW mail line

Heeley_20120829_174%20edit.jpg&action=Pa

Brit15

• Like 2

Originally built by the Roman Mechanical & Engineering Legion the bridge crossed a fairly small river in a fairly deep ravine.  The continual pounding of elephants weakened the construction unnoticeably.

In later centuries the bridge fell into disuse except for the occasional fire chariots but the river widening scheme of the early 19th century brought it back into use.

Global warming required more room for glacial water run off and the continued erosion of the chalk ravine meant that the bridge was split into 2 halves.  Each part being dragged backwards for several metres (Belle Tout lighthousestyle) and major engineering took place using carbon fibre strengthening and some Gaffa tape.  A large inserted centre piece was cleverly constructed in reinforced fibreglass and dressed in similar style to the original stonework. 

During the reconstruction period nobody was killed and a replacement bus service took pasengers on a 75 mile detour. 

• Informative/Useful 2