New N gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 electric locomotive project

DJM Dave

Hi Keith,

Nothing sent out yet.

A) because I lost my father this week and

B) I’ve asked China for a couple of alterations to the cad design and they are on CNY at the minute.

One I’m happy all is well with what I’ve asked for, i’ll Push the button and invoice for the models.

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Keith,

Nothing sent out yet.

A) because I lost my father this week and

B) I’ve asked China for a couple of alterations to the cad design and they are on CNY at the minute.

One I’m happy all is well with what I’ve asked for, i’ll Push the button and invoice for the models.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks for the update Dave.

Sorry to hear you news.

Edited by Crompton Power

With the 00 gauge news that just 50 more orders are needed for the 00 gauge “Go” button to be pushed, what do we all need to do to get the N gauge version over the line too. Already made my full set commitment.

Edit:- Now posted in the APT topic. Thanks to @Andy Y for spotting my mistake.

Edited by mikeharvey22

With the 00 gauge news that just 50 more orders are needed for the 00 gauge “Go” button to be pushed, what do we all need to do to get the N gauge version over the line too. Already made my full set commitment.

Posted in wrong topic.

• 4 months later...

Given that the CAD should be about fixed by now is the tooling for the N gauge 92 going to be concurrent with OO gauge 92 or do we have to wait longer until that is out of the way. I'm sure there are plenty of people interested in how the N gauge 92 is going but no one posting on here?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I posted this in the OO section and forgot, as its also relevant for the N gauge one, to post it here, apologies.

Here it is.......

---------------------------------------------

Hi everyone

I am Just waiting on the new Cad/Cam from the second factory. You would think cloning the cad/cams i have would be simple, but unless the cad/cams contain all the necessary sizes etc, as you would find in an STP file, you are really starting from scratch and using not only the works drawings, but also the original 'approved' EASM file for reference.

The engineer is on them now, and will incorporate all the internal changes i have asked for regarding electronics, speaker space, underside switches, ease of access into the cab, plus the etched work on the roof and sides.

Once this is done, and it shouldn't be too long now, i'll be mailing everyone doe 2nd deposits to allow this project to get cracking. Ideally it will enter tooling within weeks, not months, but that will depend on getting enough 2nd deposit payments to pay the 1st EP tooling in an expedient time frame.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I posted this in the OO section and forgot, as its also relevant for the N gauge one, to post it here, apologies.

Here it is.......

---------------------------------------------

Hi everyone

I am Just waiting on the new Cad/Cam from the second factory. You would think cloning the cad/cams i have would be simple, but unless the cad/cams contain all the necessary sizes etc, as you would find in an STP file, you are really starting from scratch and using not only the works drawings, but also the original 'approved' EASM file for reference.

The engineer is on them now, and will incorporate all the internal changes i have asked for regarding electronics, speaker space, underside switches, ease of access into the cab, plus the etched work on the roof and sides.

Once this is done, and it shouldn't be too long now, i'll be mailing everyone doe 2nd deposits to allow this project to get cracking. Ideally it will enter tooling within weeks, not months, but that will depend on getting enough 2nd deposit payments to pay the 1st EP tooling in an expedient time frame.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Any update?

I see some comments regarding an emailed newsletter under the OO thread.

Thanks,

Trev

• RMweb Premium

Dave doesn’t post any more, and the email isn’t allowed to be shared until next Sunday, so we need someone with an order of the n gauge one to confirm if they received an email, even though they can’t say what’s in it...!

Its an interesting way to conduct business! I really want it to succeed, and will buy one if it does, but it feels increasingly like self-sabotage from Dave!

Dave doesn’t post any more, and the email isn’t allowed to be shared until next Sunday, so we need someone with an order of the n gauge one to confirm if they received an email, even though they can’t say what’s in it...!

Its an interesting way to conduct business! I really want it to succeed, and will buy one if it does, but it feels increasingly like self-sabotage from Dave!

I have one on order in n gauge but no email, hence my post. Why an email for OO but not N?

• RMweb Premium

Who knows! Without knowing what the content of the email is it’s impossible to guess!

I presume the content was that it was going to tooling, but the N gauge one has always felt like the ‘neglected stepchild’ in this relationship, so perhaps only the OO gauge one has reached this milestone. We shall see next Sunday!

Revolution's N Gauge 92 is about to close its order book, so time to make up minds

Yep.

I have a Caledonian on order with Revolution. Not sure which one with Dave but definitely a different one.

Weren’t the two announced about the same time? Maybe not enough demand for both producers!

If I remember correctly wasn’t Dave’s going to have something unique?

Trev

• RMweb Premium

Given that Revolution have established a good reputation in their own right and are working with a manufacturer (Rapido) that is probably the "gold standard" in RTR model trains at the moment then that'd seem like a good option.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave.

Was it my gentle nudge or pure coincidence?

Regards,

Trev

Obviously without context you appear to be talking to yourself... do I infer Dave has now sent out an n gauge update?

Given that Revolution have established a good reputation in their own right and are working with a manufacturer (Rapido) that is probably the "gold standard" in RTR model trains at the moment then that'd seem like a good option.

Exactly. Given their respective track records, there's no contest in it for me. I have a model on order from Revolution and that'll be it.

Obviously no one would relish anyone having lost money on development of a model, but surely it's best for Dave to cut his losses and cancel the N gauge 92. Whatever the merits of the two planned models, the Revolution one is further along, and there surely isn't the market for two competing models in N.

Justin

• RMweb Premium

I know Dave said that after the announcement of Revolution's model he lost some orders (understandably; I was among them), but had since gained more than he'd lost, so as to make it viable.

If it ever comes to fruition I will buy one, another running number and what not, but I've had some misgivings, and I don't want to pre-order, particularly given there are retailers on board, with a suggestion they're barely above (if at all) the crowdfunded price. It definitely feels a hugely backward step to now only communicate directly with those to whom you have actually sold a model, it's effectively anti-advertising! By all means send the email, but I don't understand why you'd not want the content shared as widely as possible, that's how you generate sales, surely?

Given that tooling was imminent at the start of the year I was assuming that was the content of the email, but reading things both on here and on the OO gauge version I'm not sure that is the case.

Obviously no one wants to see a project fail; the 92s are hands down my favourite locos and I was hugely excited by the announcement, but the longer it drags on and the more the project 'evolves' the more I feel I'm happy to be an observer awaiting shop stock. 

• RMweb Premium

Exactly. Given their respective track records, there's no contest in it for me. I have a model on order from Revolution and that'll be it.

Obviously no one would relish anyone having lost money on development of a model, but surely it's best for Dave to cut his losses and cancel the N gauge 92. Whatever the merits of the two planned models, the Revolution one is further along, and there surely isn't the market for two competing models in N.

Justin

But still the DJM N gauge 92 continues. I think it is make or break time for the N gauge model. Because this whole situation has been so tribal, there will be those who have stuck with DJM for their N gauge 92, purely out of support for Dave. Once the Revolution ship has sailed, I hope for their sakes that the plug isn't pulled on the DJM N gauge version. If Dave is going to take stock of the situation and withdraw the N gauge 92, best do it now. If he leaves it and then meekly announces the N gauge version isn't viable in the new year, then that would create significant damage to his reputation and business, as he would be hurting those who have supported him through think and thin...