NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

As someone who found out about the project via this thread and paid up back in Sept 2016 as soon as I received an invoice, I'm not impressed to not have had a SINGLE email since, including today. And no; it's not my spam filter; I know how email works.

Thanks for the heads up that some information's finally out there though (even if it's some kind of secret-squirrel thing). At least I can chase him.

Cheers

Rob

Same here - no follow up since the initial deposit in early October 2016.

At least I've seen a copy of the email sent to a friend.

Can't say that there's any spectacular revelation in it though.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Maybe he needs 10 days to e-mail everyone personally one by one.

E-mail has never been he strong point. Well no to be fair, I found it was good at the start when the Well tank came out. But all mails I sent since went without reply. The problem isn,t exactly unknown, and he found he even had a problem with his internet connection once whereby they were not visible at his place but where when he connected to his account elsewhere (now, in my 18 years in working in telecoms, that is one issue I never saw though there could be delays in replication). I hope he sorts or has sorted it out, as it is ruddy hard to do business with someone if you cannot communicate with them.

I have to agree with you. I want this project to succeed, I really do. However to initially expect something at Warley, only to be told to check your emails next week - for nothing to turn up after that deadline is becoming more than a little bit on the disappointing side. I know Dave Jones is busy man, but sometimes it's a little hard to keep the faith in a project like this when the silences are growing. 

• RMweb Premium

I for one have shared many fears on this one, I paid my deposit what seems like an age ago now. However, following the email, which all will be able to see next week, I am happy to say my confidence has been reaffirmed, so much so I will be doubling my order.

I had the email, it doesn’t really reveal much but considering there was a 3D print last November, with payments due Jan18 and promised news updates passing by continually this doesn’t inspire confidence. I was certainly a very positive supporter as I would like a decent 92 in OO and still do and only backed Dave’s knowing that RevolutioN had only planned to do there superb Nguage one.

I do hope we see some physical evidence that this project is progressing soon

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Premium

considering there was a 3D print last November...

I do hope we see some physical evidence that this project is progressing soon

Both points are addressed in the email so hopefully when you see The update, it will be easy to understand what has happened and what happens from here.

I’m personally looking forward to mine, even if it’s taking longer than hoped for.

• RMweb Premium

I have read the update and I would rather have my money back. Can’t see this coming to fruition.

I don’t understand how a positive update can provoke a negative response when no news for months hasn’t.

Hopefully Kernow and Hattons, who have commissioned limited editions, don’t feel the same

I don’t understand how a positive update can provoke a negative response when no news for months hasn’t.

Hopefully Kernow and Hattons, who have commissioned limited editions, don’t feel the same

Do Hattons and Kernow have anything outstanding from Dave Jones then ? 

Not sure of the status of the LSWR road van, and maybe some editions of the "J94" ? Apart from that I was under the impression both retailers have moved into "direct with China" mode.  "HattonsDave" certainly gives the impression Hatton's own CADs are being used.

As for the 92, if it has taken over 12 months to progress from a 3D print to a email update, then I understand people are frustrated and cancelling orders.  Perhaps Accurascale's "meteoric" entry into the UK railway modelling scene has made folk more aware of toy train production, and how quick stuff can be got to the market. What we don't of course know is how long the HUO was in development before the news of Accurascale was broken.

Talking of HUOs, any news of hte DJ Models ones ?  

• RMweb Premium

Do Hattons and Kernow have anything outstanding from Dave Jones then ?

Not sure of the status of the LSWR road van, and maybe some editions of the "J94" ? Apart from that I was under the impression both retailers have moved into "direct with China" mode. "HattonsDave" certainly gives the impression Hatton's own CADs are being used.

Sorry, I have no idea on the other items. I meant limited edition 92s, in line with the thread.

• RMweb Premium

If they are going to be available from retailers then you can just wait for them in the normal way. If the model appears and is good you can buy it. If it never appears or is less than great you haven't lost anything by paying for its development. You will probably pay more (unless you take a punt that they will end up in clearance sales) but you also avoid having money tied up for years.

I’m more than happy to wait and see. The update states that progress has been made, and that Dave has had more than his fair share of inconveniences in China, with factory issues and the loss of a substantial amount of CAD work as a result. He may not be the easiest to contact, however I can think of multiple other companies who are similar; their products are well worth the wait and hassle.

At this stage I’d say there is no question of you "losing your money" or the project being canned. It sounds like a lot of effort has gone into it and there has been a promise of a 1st EP quite soon. Hopefully that will provide some confidence.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He may not be the easiest to contact, however I can think of multiple other companies who are similar; their products are well worth the wait and hassle.

I'm afraid I can't think of any that have taken money up front 2 years ago, with few/no updates or progress for nearly 12 months. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid I can't think of any that have taken money up front 2 years ago, with few/no updates or progress for nearly 12 months. 

Not wishing to go OT too much, but I waited 3 and a half years for one supplier's product after paying when I ordered. A parcel arrived one day, and I was pleasantly surprised. Another difficult dealer to contact. They too had succumbed to extremely unfortunate circumstances which badly affected their business, yet they slowly rebuilt their customer base and their products are now in very high demand.

As I said, I'll hold out for a high spec 'Dyson', however this is my own opinion.

Jack.

• Like 1

Whilst I for one am 'concerned' with apparent progress on the OO (And N) 92s I am more concerned about the large amount of negativity this project is getting over others in similar situations. Going through my pre-orders tells me that there are other projects out there which have had deposits taken yet no physical sign of any product beyond CAD/CAM stage with no real sign of when (Or if) it will ever be delivered - Much the same as this in fairness.

That said personally I am thoroughly looking forward to this and the 3D print that was on display at Warley tells me this will be well worth the wait and that are things progressing with it behind the scenes which fills me with confidence.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve recently ordered a OO scale Caledonian sleeper livery Class 92 and getting a little concerned as apart from confirmation email I’ve not heard anything. I really liked DJ Models J94 and that’s what prompted me to get a Class 92 but does anyone got any updates regarding the model?

Edited by jools1959

I’ve recently ordered a OO scale Caledonian sleeper livery Class 92 and getting a little concerned as apart from confirmation email I’ve not heard anything. I really liked DJ Models J94 and that’s what prompted me to get a Class 92 but does anyone got any updates regarding the model?

Yes Dave has sent out an email which clearly not everyone has received. Send me your email via pm I will forward onto you.

Mark

I’m more than happy to wait and see. The update states that progress has been made, and that Dave has had more than his fair share of inconveniences in China, with factory issues and the loss of a substantial amount of CAD work as a result. He may not be the easiest to contact, however I can think of multiple other companies who are similar; their products are well worth the wait and hassle.

At this stage I’d say there is no question of you "losing your money" or the project being canned. It sounds like a lot of effort has gone into it and there has been a promise of a 1st EP quite soon. Hopefully that will provide some confidence.

Thanks,

Jack.

We know he hit an ice berg with the class 74, then the class 17 (working EP stage) earlier this. I suppose the 92 was in the same factory along with maybe others. So in fairness, it seems he has been hit hard by the sudden loss of this factory than maybe we realised. He is working with a new factory for the APT, doubtless the King and 92 as well.

To come from that and other issues (payment system, website etc), I,m not surprised he lost a year. Hopefully we,ll see cads from the new factory soon.

It is odd that he still looses so many mails. Let's hope he gets that sorted too. It is win win situation as it means us customers can do business with him and he has business. Otherwise it's lose lose.

I agree negativity won,t do him and his projects any favours for sure, but he needs to manage that, ensure the project moves forwards when he said it would, and if it does not, then explain the delay.

I,m glad he found another factory and they are working on the CADs.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately he has put himself in the firing line and his very odd approach to communicating with people certainly makes it worse. I can’t see me committing more money to a hung project. I wouldn’t be surprised if Revolution knock out a OO 92 before Dave shows anything meaningful. Anyway that’s my opinion and I’m finished on the subject. I won’t buy anything from DJM unless it’s on a shelf in a shop. I wish him well though.

Looking forward to my crowd funded TEA tanks from Revolution being delivered any day now. 2 years ish waiting with absolute confidence they would come and regular updates keeping peoples minds at ease!

Unfortunately he has put himself in the firing line and his very odd approach to communicating with people certainly makes it worse. I can’t see me committing more money to a hung project. I wouldn’t be surprised if Revolution knock out a OO 92 before Dave shows anything meaningful. Anyway that’s my opinion and I’m finished on the subject. I won’t buy anything from DJM unless it’s on a shelf in a shop. I wish him well though.

Looking forward to my crowd funded TEA tanks from Revolution being delivered any day now. 2 years ish waiting with absolute confidence they would come and regular updates keeping peoples minds at ease!

I'm the same and wish him well, if they do appear on the shelves then he'll have a customer.

I find it surprising the amount of negativity regarding Dave....

He was on the forum regularly, providing updates.... some of these updates were about progress, some about setbacks...some people seemed to revel in the setbacks...

Unfortunately, due to extreme negativity displayed towards him, I can understand why he no longer wishes to be active on the forums... it must have been difficult reading some of the venemous comments...

I am in no way connected with Dave in any way, just a crowd funder for several of his projects.... I found it disappointing and annoying, that a vocal minority seemed determined to sink Dave and his various projects, putting at risk my investments....

He has put out an update to those who have invested in the project, look at the negativity that has generated.... really???