NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

Yes, I don't think the colour is wrong specifically, it's just something about the model, not even sure what it is, but it's just as bad in the flesh. Must be the particular plastic used.

Yes... the Hornby one retails for £120, and the DJM one is £130...?

But you can't buy a DJM one, can you.........

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

C'mon, we had that joke several times on the last page, at least read the last few responses before jumping in!

To recap for the hard of reading, in a handy bullet point format:

- Hornby's 92 is close in price to DJMs

- Hornby are re-releasing it for 2019, which is shrewd, as they're going to struggle to get £120 for it once the DJM one exists although a market will likely continue for a lower priced variant

- They may well have time for another run of every single example in the class before Dave's appears

• Like 1

Yes...the Hornby one retails for £120, and the DJM one is £130...?

I personally don't think it's fair to compare a larger manufacturers RRP and a one-man band's "special crowd-funding pre-order price"

Hornby Class 92 = £109.99

DJM Class 92. = £144.50 (from Hatton's where the average person would buy one)

Bear in mind that there's hundreds of modellers who aren't satisfied with the safety of crowdfunding, there's children who'd want one and most probably won't have the ability to support a crowd-funder, DJ has been very scarce with information and lost the trust of many people and therefore more people will wait to buy one after its out.

So if you want to compare something, the comparison must be fair in all regards.

So there's an approximate £34.50 difference between the two. And that difference in price reflects the detail level.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

C'mon, we had that joke several times on the last page, at least read the last few responses before jumping in!

To recap for the hard of reading, in a handy bullet point format:

- Hornby's 92 is close in price to DJMs

- Hornby are re-releasing it for 2019, which is shrewd, as they're going to struggle to get £120 for it once the DJM one exists although a market will likely continue for a lower priced variant

- They may well have time for another run of every single example in the class before Dave's appears

£34.50 isn't close.....you really need to look at prices before putting up some guesses.

One day...just one day he'll have us all eating humble Hornby loco pie :victory:

LOL.... Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought the DJM 92 we’re talking about is a lot cheaper than £144...this thread is for us faithful pre-order guys right?! ;)

Also to bear in mind that to remotor a Hornby Class 92 costs some money, I repowered my fleet with Heljan Class 47 mechanisms (albeit this was some 12/13 years ago and prices must have dropped since) - but it’s not as simple as buying a Hornby 92 and expecting it to run as good as a modern centrally-motored loco without some expense and a good bit of fiddling around!

The crazy part is that Hornby want £75+ for their Class 92, not to get into a different debate, but that is robbery! If in the above posts we are quoting modellers who are willing to put time and effort into renovating the Hornby model, then you’d likely be savvy enough to get a used one for a fraction of the price, so the pricing of the DJM model is naturally on another level - here’s where you are paying for the convenience of a fully finished RTR ‘best of breed’ 92 that maybe, just maybe, we should hopefully get if we are patient!

It’s not all doom and gloom either - most AC fans ought to be saving their pennies for the Bachmann ‘90’ or third-rail types applying for a remortgage to get the latest 4-CEP haha!

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Premium

Do we actually know the new price for the DJM 92?.

In his November 2018 Newsletter No1, he said "due to the amount of time it has taken to get this far, there were some drop outs and prices have gone up very slightly"

He didn't clarify on the word 'slightly'

He also said "I will be going live within the next week with the second deposit request payable via my web site" That was on the 30th November 2018.

So have we all had our 2nd payment requests through yet?

• RMweb Premium

£34.50 isn't close.....you really need to look at prices before putting up some guesses.

Nothing made up. The price on the DJM website is £130. I wasn't really looking for petty point scoring on the exact pricing, it was a general comment. Anyway, there's nothing to talk about on the actual model, and any information we're forbidden from talking about. Bye!

• RMweb Gold

Is there any updates regarding the model as it’s been very quiet recently? I find it odd that DJ seems to be very quiet, if I was him I’d be banging that drum constantly.

• RMweb Premium

Odd is the word indeed. Despite an update being published some time ago (30th December?), there is no update on his website, nor an update on here; although to be honest, I don't expect those who have received the update email to post what was said, it's Dave's job to provide updates on his project and to drum up any additional support that may be required. Clearly there is nothing significant to report...

• RMweb Gold

It's close to Chinese New Year, there'll be nothing happening on the model at the moment. However, that said, it's strange he's doing no marketing whatsoever.

Just something on the website saying that things are quiet because of Chinese New Year and there will be a update soon. The silence is deafening!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

He had a 3D print of the APT, nothing new for the 92 but if you check his site he did say they had provided a 92 CAD in 3000 bits rather then 200 so he couldn't print it.

More woe for DJ? 

This bloke just can't catch a break poor chap.

i genuinely want these models to come through as it's my favourite loco, but well.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, Great Western said:

More woe for DJ? 

This bloke just can't catch a break poor chap.

Is it about catching a break though? I don't see Accurascale, RevolutioN or any of the other new manufactures having half as many problems as DJM seems to be having. Dave seems to be more of a project manager and if he's not asking for the right things in the first place then its no wonder things keep going pear shaped for him. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I’m getting frustrated with the lack of information from Dave or DJ Models and having sent emails from both the website and personal email addresses and got no reply, so I’ve asked to cancel my order and refund my deposit.  Strangely I’ve still not heard anything!

Had I at least got something back in response I would have kept my order with DJ Models but to get nothing is far from acceptable.

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I’m getting frustrated with the lack of information from Dave or DJ Models and having sent emails from both the website and personal email addresses and got no reply, so I’ve asked to cancel my order and refund my deposit.  Strangely I’ve still not heard anything!

Had I at least got something back in response I would have kept my order with DJ Models but to get nothing is far from acceptable.

Hi, personally I've nearly always had a e-mail reply from Dave.  Perhaps a phone call to his mobile (10am-5pm), would assist with your queries.  At least you can be sure he got it.

Regards,

C.

On 03/02/2019 at 17:15, bill_schmidt1 said:

Is it about catching a break though? I don't see Accurascale, RevolutioN or any of the other new manufactures having half as many problems as DJM seems to be having. Dave seems to be more of a project manager and if he's not asking for the right things in the first place then its no wonder things keep going pear shaped for him. 

Or we just don't hear about them. This is minor glich which I'm sure the factory can sort out quickly. The print missed a show, but it remains to be seen if it impacts the time scale.

• Agree 2

On 03/02/2019 at 19:03, jools1959 said:

He did say some e-mail addresses were being bounced back to him as not receiving his replies. Definitely worth a call to him to check if one is yours.

• Agree 1