NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

As a separate point on the funding of the project, at least Hatton's and Rails of Sheffield have ordered these off DJM to sell. While these retailers are not involved in the crowdfunding AFAIK, surely their orders and the future money they'll bring to DJM must have a positive effect on the production of these models?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ajax50046 said:

I'm sticking with DJM for some 92's. I've met Dave a couple of times at shows and he's a genuine, hardworking bloke, very skilled at what he does and has brought excellent models to the market at his own risk. He's not a billion-dollar corporation but a one man band who's added some real innovation to the UK market which the likes of Accurascale have followed, and are now putting his own livelihood at risk. 

I would be interested in knowing what 'real innovation' of DJM's, Accurascale have followed. Also, Accurascale are also a small company themselves, who are also bringing models to the market with a degree of risk attached. Just because someone doesn't go on about it, doesn't mean they haven't taken as many risks to get their products to market.

I don't doubt that this is a challenge for Dave, but I am not hugely surprised someone else has come into the market with a class 92, and Accurascale's rationale for doing so has been explained. 

I wish Dave luck with the 92, but it has been a bit of a cursed project from the very beginning. The ball is very much in his court now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

Although we are not  privy to the detail of CS’s thinking, it seems they have opted for a linked Mk5 sleeper/ class 92 deal so they have access to models of the whole train which they can possibly market in some form in the future. They may have needed confidence that they would have a high spec 92 for that to work for them.

On the plus side the prematurely announced  Accurascale/RevolutioN trains announcement has prompted DJM to make two announcements on the Class 92 00 gauge project in a couple of days. Keeping momentum on the Class 92, and possibly attracting more crowdfunders with some spirited marketing, are probably the best routes to delivering the locomotives viably.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I find the idea fascinating of an electro diesel operating so far away from a 3rd rail.

When I took this in 1991 with my cheapo camera as a teenager, at Preston station..of the Southbound TPO..

IMG_0013.jpg

i never thought The 86’s would be gone, the TPOs would be gone, Royal Mail private, as would British Rail too, and instead standing in the exact same position would be a pair of equally old class 73’s on a rake of mk1’s.

IMG_4041.JPG

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, letterspider said:

As a DJM Class 92 crowdfunder this announcement actually makes me 'quite angry'. Accurascale must be well aware that there could be serious consequences not only to the manufacture but also to the pocket of the modellers who are trying to keep this project afloat. They are not doing the crowdfunders a favour at all if DJM 'goes down' and will seriously hurt the pockets of backers like myself to hundreds of pounds.

Thanks Accurascale. 

I believe that your anger is misplaced. If the DJM 92 goes down the pan, then it's the decisions that DJM have taken that will be to blame. From time to time I've read the hard luck stories and excuses for delays, but others work with the same range of choices and manage to deliver models in a reasonable time frame.

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, letterspider said:

As a DJM Class 92 crowdfunder this announcement actually makes me 'quite angry'. Accurascale must be well aware that there could be serious consequences not only to the manufacture but also to the pocket of the modellers who are trying to keep this project afloat. They are not doing the crowdfunders a favour at all if DJM 'goes down' and will seriously hurt the pockets of backers like myself to hundreds of pounds.

Thanks Accurascale. 

Regrettably yes, your pocket could be hurt.  But if you decide, as an individual,  to invest your money in a crowdfunding project you are taking on part of the risk associated with that project - something we looked at and discussed a long while back in the thread on crowdfunding,.  No doubt with a resurgent Hornby there was perhaps also a risk to your investment because they might well have decided, as part of a continuing process in their range, to do a major re-tooling of their own Class 92.

This sort of duplication (in this particular case triplication) is not new nor is it new or unusual that different manufacturers should be developing models in parallel - with one or the other being ahead.  Just as Hornby were ahead on both the 'King' (duplicated but then dropped by Hattons), or the Q6 (duplicated but then dropped by DJM), or the Class 71 (duplicated by DJM but not dropped).  Similarly we have two Brighton Terriers charging towards the shops in parallel just as we've had various other things in the past.

In many respects the winner is always likely to be the one who gets to market first (assuming an equal selling approach) and not necessarily the one which is considered 'best' or offers the highest fidelity to prototype or the lowest price.  For anybody putting money into crowdfunding all of that must inevitably be part of your decision process - you are risking your own money by taking on the developer's/commissioner's/manufacturer's financial risk for them.  That is what crowdfunding means and it will never necessarily involve a guaranteed return. However in this case Dave has stated very clearly that he intends to continue with the the project so assuming others who are funding it maintain their commitment then it will, according to Dave, happen.

Equally of course if other crowdfunders back out, for whatever reason, and are not replaced by new funders then any project can fail; it isn't just down to competition appearing but also to the faith of crowdfunders in the project they are financing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Regrettably yes, your pocket could be hurt.  But if you decide, as an individual,  to invest your money in a crowdfunding project you are taking on part of the risk associated with that project - something we looked at and discussed a long while back in the thread on crowdfunding,......

.....  For anybody putting money into crowdfunding all of that must inevitably be part of your decision process - you are risking your own money by taking on the developer's/commissioner's/manufacturer's financial risk for them.  That is what crowdfunding means and it will never necessarily involve a guaranteed return.

In my case, with the 71, there was not a decision process surrounding it. I wanted one, DJM offered it, I joined the crowdfunding - which was backed by Kernow.

The experience of it being a long drawn process, duplicated and eventually sold in the bargain bins, did influence my descision making process for later projects (which don't have Kernows backing). The experience was further compounded by his lack of replies to my e-mails and PMs regarding spare parts for my sadly defunct Well tanks (he did reply on the forum once I put it there). Because of these, I did not join the 92 (though he did not do the first livery they appeared in which was the one I wanted. Now fortunately offered by AS) nor the APT - as much as I would love to have had either.

I suspect most joining the 92 project, did so because they wanted one and I would be surprised if many weigh up the pros and cons before joining.

Compare that with Accurscale. Ordered a bunch of Cemflos, expected last year. They had a delay and I will now get them in a few months time this year. Overall wait, about 1 year which is no skin off my nose. Despite this, they offered a small credit because of the delay to be used elsewhere. They had absolutely no need too - I was happy at just being advised of the small delay. I also had a small issue on one invoice. Sent a mail, they resolved it and replied in less than 15 minutes! Do these positive experiences influence me to spend more with them? You bet. When my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas, I pointed her to the Accurascale gift cards.

Edited by JSpencer
missed the quote
  • Like 10

Posted 19th August 2016, Dave declared the EWS locomotive to be Victor Hugo 92 001.

Why the #$% is Accurascale creating the exact same one?

Surely it's a perfect opportunity to provide the enthusiast / modeller with not only an alternative manufacturer, but an alternative model.

Accurascale are creating their EWS rendition as 92 001 as well - that's a bit lacking somewhere which requires something I reckon!!

Sorry if a little harsh, but there are enthusiasts who may want more than one EWS rendition, and this could have been a perfect opportunity for them.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Posted 19th August 2016, Dave declared the EWS locomotive to be Victor Hugo 92 001.

Surely it's a perfect opportunity to provide the enthusiast / modeller with not only an alternative manufacturer, but an alternative model.

Accurascale are creating their EWS rendition as 92 001 as well - that's a bit lacking somewhere which requires something I reckon!!

Sorry if a little harsh, but there are enthusiasts who may want more than one EWS rendition, and this could have been a perfect opportunity for them.

Al.

That was 2 1/2 years ago.  

Just because DJM stuck a flag in the ground and 'claimed' it doesn't mean that another manufacturer can't produce it.  Lets face it Hornby have had a 92 (of sorts) for years but no one complained when DJM drove over their lawn.

Whatever happened to modellers renumbering stock.......or does it all have to come from a box ready made now.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 5
  • Agree 13

47 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

I really don't know what you're upset about.  48 hours ago, you were quite happy to have your DJM 92.  Nothing has changed since then to affect this - the model is still going ahead.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I am happy.

I just think a little initiative could have helped some of the more-serious modellers permitting them to trial both, yet have different numbers - seemed a no-brainer that.

Did EWS only run one Class 92?

Yes, the same 'serious modellers' do know how to renumber / rename correctly.

I've seen so many nice locomotives totally 'botched' on a certain auction site, considering the the doubtless detail of the pending products, I'm not one of them ....

That was the point.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Premium

No, they had 30 or so IIRC, but most just got EWS beasties vinyls over the EPS blue/grey. Only 001 and 031 actually got repainted, as I said. Think 5 were repainted into DB Schenker red. 

92001 had some extra embellishments not found on 92031 including flags on the cab side. Removing those from 92001 and replacing a 0 with a 3 at each number position might be within the skill level of those who want both. Maybe Hornby will make the plainer 92031 for those who must have both EWS maroon locos.

• RMweb Premium

The vast majority of 92s carried plain triple grey for almost all of their careers to date, whenever you saw one, it’d be a grey one...funny how these new fancy coloured ones are wrongly grabbing all the limelight! 

If all else fails and you’re still unhappy with your DJM 92s...just renumber them to the Eurostar examples and park them in a grotty siding at the back of your layout! :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I always want to say triple grey, as it just sounds right, but didn't they all have blue roofs? And were thus "blue and grey", which clearly they weren't, so they were two-tone-grey-and-blue, which sounds clumsy. Not that anyone will misundestand if you say "triple grey" :wacko:

The grey with EWS beasties was always my favourite livery, for a bodge I think it looks spot on! Great on 60s too.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

92001 had some extra embellishments not found on 92031 including flags on the cab side. Removing those from 92001 and replacing a 0 with a 3 at each number position might be within the skill level of those who want both. Maybe Hornby will make the plainer 92031 for those who must have both EWS maroon locos.

I would like that livery too but is there much interest out there for 92031?

I am sure either manufaturer would do it if there were 100+ expressions of interest

This has definitely been quite an adventure, for me as well as others, doubtless, and that was from just a couple of days ago!!

I had been on the lookout for a 'decent 92', had decided the Hornby one is certainly 'adequate' but doesn't match the Super Detail models I have of theirs, and that I wanted to maintain my 'modern image' stock as near all wheel drive as possible - avoiding tyres where possible ... and I fell upon DJM ... I placed a deposit ... same day, several hours later, 'another company' declared they were making one!!

I think both 'new additions' are going to be brilliant, and personally, will stay with my recent DJM order.

Those with Accurascale, I'm sure that will be excellent as well.

I'm looking forwards to this, and the forthcoming developments of the model, through to final purchase and eventual delivery.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

You’d think DJ would come back on here with a big bold confidence building statement regards his 92 project, but instead issues a “froth” filled statement with the standard “things I can’t tell you about” line again.

i wish those who have given their money the best, and indeed to DJ who reported to have remortgaged his house to fund the firm back in the start, but I’ve given my money to the new scheme purely as they have a record of delivering and don’t play out their business like Eastenders.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2