NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

Crowd funding is one thing, but at some point you have to question when does crowdfunding stop and a wish list come land grab start? In the early days crowdfunding projects were using third party platforms such as kickstart where there was a time limit to secure the necessary minimum number of backers to go ahead. As has already been pointed out a few of DJM's projects have not made the cut to be viable but neither do they appear to have been pulled with the result it all feels extemporised and directionless, lurching from idea to idea. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 81C said:

With all this for and against on these DJM threads has any-one asked DJ why Hattons and Kernow have dispensed with his services I amazed that at least one crowd funder has not asked this question. 

I would imagine that kernow/ hattons have realised or learnt how to do the model development in house without having to pay an outside consultant. I would think it is a cost saving exercise.

• Agree 1

I’d say it’s control & certainty.

why rely on someone to manage a man doing CAD when you have to review & approve that CAD and supply all base info anyway. You might as well manage the man and get 1st hand info and influence. Ditto tooling & production.

build your own relationships, pay direct, manage direct.

even they are not immune to the CNY / missed boat issues, just consider the KMC PRA wagons, Realtrack 156s etc, all currently months late into U.K. even though we know production was started in 2018.

hattons especially have a much bigger bargaining power and financial clout than DJM and that must count at some level

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Kernow had their finger burnt with their involvement as money older for the aborted class 74 project and it is notable that after taking certain projects in house the realisation of those projects seemed to accelerate significantly. And it's notable that other commissioning parties don't seem to have had the alleged horror story experiences of dealing with Chinese factories either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Ouroborus said:

Didn't hattons have some problems with the golden arrow 71s?

And a shed load of 14xx/48xx returns which were faulty.  You can talk the hind legs off a donkey but it only works to the point where you let someone down.  Dapol, Hattons, and Kernow all learned a hard lesson. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Kernow had their finger burnt with their involvement as money older for the aborted class 74 project and it is notable that after taking certain projects in house the realisation of those projects seemed to accelerate significantly. And it's notable that other commissioning parties don't seem to have had the alleged horror story experiences of dealing with Chinese factories either.

I forget now whether the class 74 was a crowdfunded project or not.  Just tried googling and there apparently was to be a Kernow exclusive 74010 in BR blue, but the KMRC webpage relating to class 74s is understandably blank. 

I wonder whether the UK model railway crowdfunding concept has become tainted because of this kind of thing.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Covkid said:

I wonder whether the UK model railway crowdfunding concept has become tainted because of this kind of thing.  

Not sure crowdfunding is tainted, Revolution is a success, whilst Kernow’s aren’t Crowdfunded as such, I’ve paid up front a year + ago for the D600’s, and I’ve a couple of prepaid elsewhere.

But it has introduced caution, at least in my own mind, of new initiatives.

There is another as yet unrelated crowd funded project in its infancy, which I’m cautious of until it’s manufacturer is declared, and that announcement could swing confidence either way.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Not sure crowdfunding is tainted, Revolution is a success, whilst Kernow’s aren’t Crowdfunded as such, I’ve paid up front a year + ago for the D600’s, and I’ve a couple of prepaid elsewhere.

But it has introduced caution of new initiatives.

There is another as yet unrelated crowd funded project in its infancy, which I’m cautious of until it’s manufacturer is declared, and that announcement could swing confidence either way.

If you are refering to the KR GT3, there was a Facebook post a couple of days back saying the EOI e-mail list closes 9pm 28th February.

I have the Golden Arrow kit slowly coming togethor on my work bench. While I don't doubt that the RTR version would be miles better, I don't like this so called "it is now or never" preasure and "you may loose your money if the project fails" statements. With the 71 and 74, we had Kernow acting as a 3rd party to ensure funders money was only transferred when true evidence of milestones had been reached. They lost a little with the 74, but credit to them for supporting their customers, they have all my Bachmann orders which should more than compensate for the loss of one 74.

For me, if the person does not have the resources to see through at least half the costs or there is not a known/trusted third party to verify the project has resources before going ahead and ensure payments are made when there is evidence of project progression, then I'm not interested.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 81C said:

With all this for and against on these DJM threads has any-one asked DJ why Hattons and Kernow have dispensed with his services I amazed that at least one crowd funder has not asked this question. 

I seriously doubt if any business is likely to discuss or release information about something which might well have involved contracts or could be commercially sensitive in any way at all.   No doubt the businesses involved, and reportedly others who decided not to use DJM as an intermediary, had their reasons and those reasons could well vary but they certainly aren't at all likely to disclose them, all we know is that they have moved on.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Covkid said:

I forget now whether the class 74 was a crowdfunded project or not.  Just tried googling and there apparently was to be a Kernow exclusive 74010 in BR blue, but the KMRC webpage relating to class 74s is understandably blank. 

The Class 74 was a crowdfunded project but Kernow held the funds on behalf of DJM, and took the financial hit on the bank and admin costs of refunding them when the project was cancelled.  However in case anybody  tries to add 2 + 2 to make 100 Kernow had projects in hand elsewhere before the 74 was cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Didn't hattons have some problems with the golden arrow 71s?

In respect of its gearing and power train being unsuitable for the job in hand ...viz : hauling a prototypical set of GA Hornby Pullman’s at a realistic scale speed. Yes,I have that problem.On reflection I should have returned it as not fit for purpose....but I didn’t .So my fault then.My own faith in pre ordering one was not rewarded.

If you base your decision on past performance and experience then in all honesty,I would be highly sceptical in placing any faith in future projects from the same quarter.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Covkid said:

I may be wrong but my recollection is that the class 74 was a crowd funded project which DJM saw as a good follow on from the class 71. To give people confidence Kernow agreed to hold the money, at that time they had a good relationship with DJM. At some point Kernow decided the project was moribund and no doubt worried about the reputational risk to their own business they walked away and refunded all monies. As a goodwill gesture they provided a little compensation to backers, it was commendable that kernow stood behind customers like that but sad that they ended up losing out because of non-delivery by another party. If I recall correctly (and I may well be mistaken) this was one of the projects that ended up with the factory being blamed for it all going wrong. 

There were some DJM crowdfunding 74s and a couple exclusive weathered versions for Kernow. Both took full payment up front.

The 71 left a bitter after taste for me, duplication aside, bargin bin prices post delivery also aside, this loco has been nothing but a problem child (boy I'm glad I returned and cancelled the second one). Prior to delivery of the 71, I joined the crowdfunding for the 74. Once the 71 was delivered, I hesitated a long time about possibly concelling it. There was no progress and years had gone by and the thought of having a second problem child did not appeal to me either..... In the end Kernow made the decision for us and the recovered money went on an H1. Thanks Kernow.

The 92 uses a new factory and (we are told) will have a superior USA model loco type drive.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

Another newsletter should have been received this morning. Looking great!

Now is the time to make any comments about changes you think are needed to info@djmodels.co.uk

A very informative newsletter it is too. There is lots of info regarding 2nd payments, which appear to be imminent, as well as some juicy CAD images. I quite like that Dave will endeavour to show photos of the tool making process; something I personally don't know much about.

Jack.

• Like 1

Regarding the email I sent to Dave, (referenced on the now closed thread) I've had a quite +ve reply.

I must admit that reading these threads, I also would rather that all the moaners just button it and stay away.  If you're not interested in the project, then please post elsewhere about things that you are interested in.  If you were a crowdfunder and are not continuing, a post saying that, and even giving your rationale, will suffice.  Let's just keep this thread for those who are crowdfunding to comment as they see fit.

• Agree 4

As long as post stay within forum rules then anyone is free to comment I’m afraid.

it all very strange, as I understand it DJ will accept new orders at the moment but potential customers are starved of information as its kept secret.

i think these crowdfunding projects have pretty much killed model railway crowdfunding.

Does DJ allow you to share what he’s said or are you not allowed ?

Edited by Great Western
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

42 minutes ago, Great Western said:

Does DJ allow you to share what he’s said or are you not allowed ?

Have I missed something or not heard but have the crowdfunders signed a legally binding non-disclosure agreement with DJM not to publish the contents of emailed newsletters?

If not then how the hell is this even enforceable considering you can just copy/paste and splatter it everywhere on any forum or social media outlet, why not just tell everyone regardless which may even attract new customers still deciding between this one and the other one recently announced.

Personally I have followed DJM and this thread closely since the beginning  due to interest in getting a new Class 92 but the way this has been conducted over the last 3 years I have thankfully always kept an arms distance and put my money down on the competition....I will still follow this out of morbid curiosity.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, classy52 said:

and put my money down on the competition

And why not, I'm sure you are not the only one ;)   One can never have too many class 92s

Edited by Dixie Dean