NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

I dont really think its about one manufacturer or another 'calling dibs' on a particular loco or class, but models need to sell in large enough quantities to pay back the investment required in designing and producing such beautiful models. Some popular or common types will have enough variations to support more than one manufacturer producing models and everyone makes money.

But should models not sell in enough quantities then it could be disastrous, particularly for the smaller manufacturers and DJM as an example is really only starting up in comparison to the more established producers. If more than one manufacturer is competing for the same sales then both could lose out.

Hands up who wants to gamble their house on how many of a particular new model is going to sell well.

However,

I'm not really impressed that a private email from one party or another has been made worldwide public, if the other party wanted the public to know their plans then they would have aired them, it's really not the place for another party to disclose private plans.

With respect, we don't know what if any, the arrangements between the two parties is/was. I'd strongly suspect that there was not a non disclosure agreement in place covering this - I work in an industry where pretty much no-one starts any serious level of communication without that in place. Professional courtesy only goes so far however, if you had information thrust upon you with no pre-condition or agreement, with a serious impact on your activities that others are depending upon you to feed back on publically, then surely you see the dilemma?

It has me wondering if I was to email persons involved would my private messages be aired online to ?

Over sensitive yes, but it does rises questions I feel.

It would depend what, how and why you wrote it I should think.

But we do not know the full facts, nor should we demand them.

• RMweb Gold

That's the whole point of crowd funding: you don't have to gamble the house.

Thats probably covering the J94.

I don't see the issue that some seem to have.  I build and sell houses, if someone buys off plan they get it for a lesser predetermined price if not they pay the market rate. That's all crowdfunding is. in this case £30 up front, for me more like £50,000 up front.

• RMweb Premium

Well said!

The difference between DJM and other manufacturers seems to be that DJM "call dibs" at the beginning of the process, whilst other manufacturers keep quiet until later in the process. It doesn't make one right and one wrong: they are just different ways of approaching things. Many of the posters on this thread (on both sides of the argument) would do well to remember that. At the end of the day it is both parties who have been wronged through no fault of their own.

Guy

Agree with this except for the final statement, I prefer to say that where a model is duplicated then neither party has been wronged, it is just a commercial risk of being in the model business that models are duplicated.

Well said!

The difference between DJM and other manufacturers seems to be that DJM "call dibs" at the beginning of the process, whilst other manufacturers keep quiet until later in the process. It doesn't make one right and one wrong: they are just different ways of approaching things. Many of the posters on this thread (on both sides of the argument) would do well to remember that. At the end of the day it is both parties who have been wronged through no fault of their own.

Guy

From memory Dave Jones announced the DJ Models N gauge Mermaid wagon whilst the Kickstarter project for the same wagon was in progress sponsored by County Rolling Stock. The Kickstarter did not succeed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I still say Dave going public was the right thing to do.

If he hadn't, and there was 1 N and 1 oo from two manufacturers, had it become public later there could have been several questions to be answered.

Additionally, people would have been frustrated and divided after putting their money down to learn of another and put Dave in the crosshairs, rightly, wrongly or morally if he was aware but didn't disclose and another suddenly appeared mid-development.

officially there still is only the DJ class 92 being produced thus far.., the other hasn't been confirmed or denied.

Being open, clean and honest is always the best route, even if the message isnt what everyone wants to hear, or delivered how everyone would like.

This way the market decides, and can't complain that it hasn't been informed.

Edited by adb968008

I agree with the above comment completely! My layout doesn't even have OHLE but I'm purely investing due to Dave's effort put in and potential (which are both rare to come by in this industry). Maybe my 92 can be magical and have a hidden Diesel engine so I can run it *wink wink*! I can't wait to see this model develop as I really think you could top this industry.

You could always lay some third rail instead...

• Like 1

So almost sent all the OO invoices Dave?

Getting there. Some have gone out already and the rest over the next few hours, once I've got a second coffee in me.

Work is , I hear today, resumed in China on the project, after their weeks holiday, and things are now moving on at a pace again.

More subtle info came to light yesterday that I'm currently looking at regarding in house tweeks to the loco. Plus the cab internal detail changes that have happened and will happen this next 12 months.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

That's my invoice paid and now looking forward to following the progress of the model. Glad this is going ahead as the specs for the model are very good and just what a new class 92 needs to be for us fussy nit pickers :D

I have decided that it also time to ditch the electronic track cleaner as both Dave and now Bachmann are using the coreless motors going forward and from what I have seen from Dave's Southern O2 from Kernow its a lovely motor and a great model.

Edited by shunny

I assume you're going to Dave, but could you please let us know when you've emailed everyone as I'm still awaiting my email, and I'm not sure whether you haven't got round to doing it yet or whether I entered some details incorrectly.

Thanks,

Jack.

Hi Dave!

I am just wondering that if i order the Class 92 DCC Ready option and paid the deposit would it still be possibly to change to a sound version later on in the process?

Thanks,

Samuel.

Hi Samuel,

As long as I knew prior to delivery, then yes, of course, as the D.C. Sound will be fitted here in the U.K. By yours truly.

Cheers

Dave

I assume you're going to Dave, but could you please let us know when you've emailed everyone as I'm still awaiting my email, and I'm not sure whether you haven't got round to doing it yet or whether I entered some details incorrectly.

Thanks,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Just got in after a day in meetings. I got warned off finishing the invoices last night as 'she who must be obeyed' prized my gnarled, fingers off my lap top and demanded that I leave it (at 9.30pm) for the first time, excluding loco breaks, since 6.30 yesterday morning. Phew!

I'll restart sending them out, and the new N gauge orders too in the morning.

Sorry for the delay.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Samuel,

As long as I knew prior to delivery, then yes, of course, as the D.C. Sound will be fitted here in the U.K. 

Do you know what make of sound chip is to be used and will you show videos with the sound in the Class 92 before the order book closes?

Thanks,

Samuel.

Had my Paypal invoice for my expression of interest. I wondered however if there are any T&Cs associated with it (cannot find any on DJM website). There are some details earlier in this thread regarding number of payments, what happens if the project is cancelled etc., but are the terms formally written down for this initiative? Thanks.