NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

While the model is being finalized in cad/cam, i thought i'd give you all an update of sorts.

Well, orders are still flowing in with commitments in deposits paid helping move things along.

I'm busy drawing up the 'little things' for the 92 in both gauges, so that like the Class 71, the detail will simply pop, to use an Americanism.

Pipe runs, underfloor equipment, roof well equipment are high on the list at the moment.

Also it's deciding what to mold in situ and what to have as separately applied parts. I prefer the latter for definition, but it comes with the drawback of being more fragile.

Essentially in both gauges we are talking about moving the boundaries upwards again by having the parts as separate and with better definition.

Fans are another thing i'm working on too (that will make you think) as i think that the set up allows this feature to be modelled in both gauges too.

I did toy with a random panto head spark too, and still might have one that is switchable, but it has to be so small so as not to be intrusive as the panto head itself is so fine.

I've sussed out the flush glazing effect as well, so things are ticking along nicely.

I'll be announcing a couple of surprises this week that affect both scales which i'm sure you might enjoy reading about, and have 1 quite huge announcement for the N gauge model which should come in time for Warley too that i am in the final stages of negotiating.

Cheers for now

Dave

• Like 4

While I like the idea of the switchable panto spark, I run third rail (and fourth rail, although that isn't relevant to the 92). Would you consider adding another switch to choose between third rail and panto sparks?

As an idea of what could be done, this doesn't look quite right side on, but it does work well from most other viewing angles:

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/jslynn/media/Rail/Class%2073%20Third%20Rail%20Flash_zpsif45um2h.mp4.html

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

While I like the idea of the switchable panto spark, I run third rail (and fourth rail, although that isn't relevant to the 92). Would you consider adding another switch to choose between third rail and panto sparks?

Personnally both options sound a little OTT to me and I wouldn't want either if they increased the cost of the model.

• Like 1

Personnally both options sound a little OTT to me and I wouldn't want either if they increased the cost of the model.

Another idea occurred to me that would make the best of both worlds and keep the cost down. If Dave designed the PCB with tracks from the auxillary pins on the decoder socket/plug, and a solder pad (or two), that would allow the modeller to easily add LEDs for either pantograph, third rail shoes, or both, without adding to the manufacturing costs. Something like that would also suit the non-DCC purchasers, in that they wouldn't be paying for a feature they may never use. 

Edited by SRman

Whilst this is not a bad idea in principal, and may add to the realism of the model, I feel that unless it was motion or DCC switched it may prove far from realistic in practice as it would be on when the loco is not in motion, and (as mentioned) may be the wrong mode of power collection for a particular layout. Also, if not taking power but still on a layout, either in consist with a diesel to act as if being 'dragged', or just sat in a siding, the loco might still spark. I'm sure there are numerous ways around this but whether one is incorporated remains to be seen.

Good idea though...I look forward to more updates and proposed additions. :yes:

Thanks,

Jack.

Whilst flashing panto or collector shoes sound OK, I wouldn't want them if they add complexity and cost to the model. Leaving a space for an led to be fitted would be a better option.

I suppose the same method for powering the fans moving could be adapted to lift lower the panto. But it would also need to lift or lower the shoes to be correct I'd suspect, again additional complexity.

I would rather features are added that genuinely improve the model rather than additional items for the features list.

Hopefully also provision for p4 can be factored, if not like how slw do it, then at least an easy method of wheel changes for those who use it.

Sounds great and would add to the realism of the model. Not a gimmick at all, and can't see how it can be described as one when the real thing does it!

Speaking as an n gauge modeller, it's almost a case of waiting until DJM and Revolution have revealed their hands in terms of spec and development times before choosing which to go for. I know it's been discussed to death but I wish one of them had done a 90 instead, rather than this unfortunate duplication.

• Like 1

I haven't duplicated anyone or anything.

Most of my specification was posted with this thread starter, and I think I've also mentioned that ideally I'm looking for a 1st ep sample around a month or so after cad/cams are approved and that the cad/cams should be unveiled for Warley weekend, if not a few days before if I have my way.

Cheers

Dave

Two Class 92's by two manufacurers is duplication. I'm not saying anyone is in the wrong, I'm just saying it's unfortunate and in my view a wasted opportunity to bring another class to market. I guess manufacturers are damned either way, 'call dibs' on a model early doors and spend 2-3 years getting it right and people will complain, or wait until you're closer to having something tangible but risk someone else being on the same path.

Njee20, I've seen a layout somewhere, can't remember for the life of me now where I saw it, but they had a Class 89 with a light in the pan. Think it was operated by magnets in the OLE. Looked very effective, think with the possibilities modern DCC control brings it could be a very worthwhile addition if it can be done discretely enough.

Hi mate,

Despite a few early glitches with other models, all spares will be available for this model from release via my web site.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

This would be excellent. I need many (around 15) pantographs for various models. It is a much needed spare. Produce plenty of them; I think they'll sell like hot cakes!

Hi everyone,

I am delighted to say that i have taken council and decided to add 2 more versions of the class 92 model for crowd funding and these are available to 'pre order' immediately from my web site.

These are as follows:

DJMOOC92-007    92029 Triple Grey EWS bodyside Logo

DJMOOC92-007S  92029 Triple Grey EWS bodyside Logo (DCC Sound fitted)

And, listening to customers and being one to give ideas i might think wont work a try, a limited run (i need 50 to make it work financially)

of

DJMOOC92-008    92xxx  Triple Grey Unbranded / Un-numbered

DJMOOC92-008S  92xxx  Triple Grey Unbranded / Un-numbered (DCC Sound fitted)

Please  note the number will be completely missing as to include it is to use another mask at a cost for just 2 digits.

post-1144-0-65063700-1476794226_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I was going to give this one a miss but now that you've announced unnumbered triple grey versions - I'm in !

Glad to see you've listened to your potential market and gone ahead with unnumbered versions - they really would be more popular if manufacturers and sales teams didn't release one off versions of a class of loco then these would sell like hot cakes i.e. Basic blue 47 or 37 so many different numbers and they'd sell out very quickly but the good thing is - another run can be done quickly .......

Hi everyone,

I am delighted to say that i have taken council and decided to add 2 more versions of the class 92 model for crowd funding and these are available to 'pre order' immediately from my web site.

These are as follows:

DJMOOC92-007    92029 Triple Grey EWS bodyside Logo

DJMOOC92-007S  92029 Triple Grey EWS bodyside Logo (DCC Sound fitted)

And, listening to customers and being one to give ideas i might think wont work a try, a limited run (i need 50 to make it work financially)

of

DJMOOC92-008    92xxx  Triple Grey Unbranded / Un-numbered

DJMOOC92-008S  92xxx  Triple Grey Unbranded / Un-numbered (DCC Sound fitted)

Please  note the number will be completely missing as to include it is to use another mask at a cost for just 2 digits.

Hi Dave,

Excellent news RE the EWS 'beasties vinyl' version!

I've already paid the deposit on the SNCF version (DJM OO Gauge Class 92 DJMOOC92-002S DCC fitted 92023 SNCF cab logo (triple Grey unbranded) 'Ravel') – am I able to change the model to the EWS version (DJMOOC92-007)?

Let me know if I need to confirm this via email or through your website?

Cheers,

James

Hi Dave,

Excellent news RE the EWS 'beasties vinyl' version!

I've already paid the deposit on the SNCF version (DJM OO Gauge Class 92 DJMOOC92-002S DCC fitted 92023 SNCF cab logo (triple Grey unbranded) 'Ravel') – am I able to change the model to the EWS version (DJMOOC92-007)?

Let me know if I need to confirm this via email or through your website?

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

no problem, just pm me your order number, and re order the correct one.

I'll cancel your original and you will get a paypal refund.

cheers

Dave

Well I was going to give this one a miss but now that you've announced unnumbered triple grey versions - I'm in !

Glad to see you've listened to your potential market and gone ahead with unnumbered versions - they really would be more popular if manufacturers and sales teams didn't release one off versions of a class of loco then these would sell like hot cakes i.e. Basic blue 47 or 37 so many different numbers and they'd sell out very quickly but the good thing is - another run can be done quickly .......

Wot he said! :D