NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

What I like about these locos, and it's one of the 2 reasons for choosing them as a next project (liveries is the second one)

Is where they ran.

As we know, through the tunnel, so on the southern to a slightly set area.

Then there's London to Scotland and to Liverpool, but also the east coast mainline.

I have pictures of them on freight at Peterborough, and also special passenger excursions North through there as well.

Anyone got any further routes for them? Ipswich? Norwich?

When will the first go to Bristol when that's 'live'?

Cheers

Dave

they were regulars along the ECML working EWS enterprise services between Doncaster Belmont and Wembley /  Mossend. Mainly ran overnight so didn't get seen / photographed that much.

During this time wasn't uncommon for "dead" locos to be haul from Belmont to Warrington via Diggle for onward movement to Crewe

Hi Dave,

At last a model I can support you with, 92016 in DB Schenker will be a must. I need to work out which grey one I can renumber with the EWS beastie sticker as they were also common for my chose era. Back in 2012 on my Friday commute home I would time it about right to see a 92 working south bound on a long take of car wagons, so ideal for hauling those Bachmann models.

I hope this does get enough support as I can't see anyone else taking this on any time soon. Re: my opening comment I had messaged Dave after Perth show as I had my hands on a sample of the 71 to fit a bass speaker in for Charlie. Very easy clip fit and 2 tabs to solder too and the 21 pin socket easy to access for the decoder. For a sample that was well handled it ran well, nice bogie detail, spoked wheels and the lighting was just right too so shows the quality that Dave can achieve. As I said its not my era but I can appreciate the quality of the model.

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I presume the reason you can't do Caledonian Sleeper/Grey with beasties is due to copyright? I'd have thought they'd be the two most popular liveries, along with an original grey derivative (either SNCF or RFD)?

I presume the reason you can't do Caledonian Sleeper/Grey with beasties is due to copyright? I'd have thought they'd be the two most popular liveries, along with an original grey derivative (either SNCF or RFD)?

Hi,

The request for the Caledonian permission is in, but I'm afraid, these things take time, if they happen at all.

So basically popular or not, if you can't get permission you aren't just go ahead and do it anyway, as this puts you in a whole world of problems.

Having had to deal with Stobart in a previous job, it was difficult to get an agreement, however, I'd welcome their involvement.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

The request for the Caledonian permission is in, but I'm afraid, these things take time, if they happen at all.

So basically popular or not, if you can't get permission you aren't just go ahead and do it anyway, as this puts you in a whole world of problems.

Having had to deal with Stobart in a previous job, I've never found them easy to deal with and in fact very off putting. However if that attitude has changed, and you never know with staff changes, I'd welcome their involvement.

Cheers

Dave

No, absolutely, makes sense. I was just checking that was the reason for not doing CS or grey with big beasties logos - the latter particularly as it was carried by virtually the whole fleet for a long time.

Stobart I think is sufficiently niche that it's not great loss. It's difficult to be impartial and not just recommend what I want mind, but thinking of Stobart 66s and the popularity thereof!

Great news!  92023 & 92030 are immediately interesting.  I realize that it's perhaps early to ask this question, but will these come with nameplates already fitted?  If so it will make either difficult for renumbering.  However, if nameplates are supplied unfitted as would be preferable (just my opinion, before anyone shoots me down in flames), then I can see myself being interested in a couple of each of the grey examples.

Curious that no original grey examples are listed and as someone else pointed out Grey with EWS Beastie logo.  Or perhaps they will be for a later batch?

Either way, great news and very much look forward to progress.

Dave,

I have more than occasional dealings with Stobart through work!

(The company on behalf of whom their rail operations section operate the intermodal with the Less-CO2 branding)

Would you like me to ask through them if Stobart's would be agreeable with the reproduction?

We (as in my employer) have been making a lot of noise about the benefits of the service recently and I know our UK director is supportive of it as he was recently photographed there at the loading point alongside a Malcolm Rail 66 and the container flats!

Might be worth a go if you were wanting to do one?

Jon

Paragon

Great news!  92023 & 92030 are immediately interesting.  I realize that it's perhaps early to ask this question, but will these come with nameplates already fitted?  If so it will make either difficult for renumbering.  However, if nameplates are supplied unfitted as would be preferable (just my opinion, before anyone shoots me down in flames), then I can see myself being interested in a couple of each of the grey examples.

Curious that no original grey examples are listed and as someone else pointed out Grey with EWS Beastie logo.  Or perhaps they will be for a later batch?

Either way, great news and very much look forward to progress.

Hi,

It's actually a great point about the nameplates. What does everybody here think, separate in the box without a printed one on the side too?

I looked at the other versions I could do, but it got to the stage where I felt I had to reach the Chinese MOQ (minimum order quantity) for each at the RRP, and diluting the MOQ through lots of choice might prove to be a problem if there's not enough take up.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I have more than occasional dealings with Stobart through work!

(The company on behalf of whom their rail operations section operate the intermodal with the Less-CO2 branding)

Would you like me to ask through them if Stobart's would be agreeable with the reproduction?

We (as in my employer) have been making a lot of noise about the benefits of the service recently and I know our UK director is supportive of it as he was recently photographed there at the loading point alongside a Malcolm Rail 66 and the container flats!

Might be worth a go if you were wanting to do one?

Jon

Paragon

Hi John,

Yes please. Nothing to lose and I appreciate your help.

The factory that will be making these has expertise in producing almost perfect renditions of graphics on loco's, so could do a good job.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi,

It's actually a great point about the nameplates. What does everybody here think, separate in the box without a printed one on the side too?

Cheers

Dave

Not that I’m prepared to commit myself to a model yet but, for what my opinion is worth, I always break out in a sweat at the prospect of fixing etched nameplates. Separate ones wouldn’t put me off, though. The guide marks put on the Westerns seemed a good idea for those who want to change identities, though some might prefer a printed name in case plate fixing goes wrong. Sweat or no, etched metal plates do enhance a model.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I looked at the other versions I could do, but it got to the stage where I felt I had to reach the Chinese MOQ (minimum order quantity) for each at the RRP, and diluting the MOQ through lots of choice might prove to be a problem if there's not enough take up.

Cheers

Dave

Separate nameplates in the box and nothing printed on the side would be my own personal preference - I'd be renumbering my '92's in any event and that'd make it so easy!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that the majority (maybe all) of the '92's with metal nameplates, they still had original vinyl names underneath from new and the plates simply got applied on top!

• Like 1

Having had to deal with Stobart in a previous job, I've never found them easy to deal with and in fact very off putting. However if that attitude has changed, and you never know with staff changes, I'd welcome their involvement.

Not surprised if that's how you talk about them in public. Oxford, Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, Corgi and Atlas have all managed it. 

Not surprised if that's how you talk about them in public. Oxford, Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, Corgi and Atlas have all managed it.

Hi mate,

Good point and edited accordingly to tone down the 'typing without thinking'.

Appreciate the comment.

Cheers

Dave

Separate nameplates in the box and nothing printed on the side would be my own personal preference - I'd be renumbering my '92's in any event and that'd make it so easy!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that the majority (maybe all) of the '92's with metal nameplates, they still had original vinyl names underneath from new and the plates simply got applied on top!

Hi James,

You make a very good point and one I don't know the answer too. Anyone???

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't have thought so, the character spacing on the original vinyl names was very wide, even for Revel it would be wider than the metal plates I'd say. Happy to be wrong though!

Edit: I'd think it would be preferable (and cheaper for you Dave?) to do either 023 or 030 as a different running number without etched plates. Most of the fleet had vinyl names after all, it alleviates the "fit them or not" and it potentially means less of a headache for people wanting to renumbered/name them.

Edited by njee20

Hi,

Having had to deal with Stobart in a previous job, it was difficult to get an agreement, however, I'd welcome their involvement.

Cheers

Dave

Hornbys class 67 is available in the Caledonian Sleeper livery so the permissions have presumably been granted in the past.

Come to think of it, I seem to recall that Hornby did a Stobart liveried class 37 in the dim and distant past.

Just a thought.....

• RMweb Premium

I would prefer nameplates to be attached, like they were for the limited edition Westerns for Steam, Kernow and the WLA - I deliberately didn't buy any of the others due to the fear of getting the nameplate application wrong.

I'm sure I could do it, but I'm also sure there are others who would be in the same camp as me.

I'd suggest another version with the printed names which could come as a set of transfers?

Hello there, 

I would be very interested in one or two or three of these and like many people on here the CS livery appeals to me 92038 with the channel Tunnel roundels is a winner in my eyes. 

Benjamin 

Challenge with the Caledonian livery is whenever I see the sleeper, it looks just like the Freightliner colours...... :no:

post-9992-0-48383000-1471709189_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Just a thought about the attached/unattached nameplates Dave, but could you do both?

50% of the batch having the nameplate fitted in the factory and the rest with the etched nameplate in the box? Would it really be so different to offering DCC Ready or Fitted versions?