NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

I think Claude meant the other way around - as I read it I think Boromark is suggesting that DJM should also offer 92043 in Europorte livery (ie the one Hornby are doing), to supplement the one Dave's already doing (92032). Why would Dave offer an exact duplicate of a model another manufacturer is almost certainly going to get out there first?

Edit: beaten to the truth by Claude, damn my not pressing submit for ages!

Edited by njee20

Another newsletter has been circulated with some additional information about both the OO and N gauge projects.  As with previous ones, they will be made public in about 2 weeks on the DJM website.

Hmm, i didn't receive this one. I wonder if i'm now blacklisted for sharing the first one

The point of getting a DJM version of 92043 would be the significantly superior mechanism, lights, detailing etc. - e.g. all wheels on both bogies driven, prototypical lighting options, etched grilles etc.

And seemingly for not all that much more money. I have no objection to Hornby offering their model, but it seems overpriced for the features it has, and I'm a bit reluctant to reward Hornby for not retooling their model and bringing it up to modern standards. They could then market a bargain Railroad version and a fully-featured version.

Also, I just fancy seeing two top-notch matching GBRf 92's side-by-side on a layout.

• RMweb Premium

But there's a difference between what has gone before, and Dave now replicating the exact model which will have preceded his by a matter of months. 92s don't work in multiple, so aside from stabling them or replicating a drag there's no reason to have two matching ones.

You want a GBRF one then 92032 is your one, but recommending Dave copies the exact model Hornby have just announced seems both misguided and daft.

The Hornby model is a bit dated, certainly, but again, they're just sweating their assets. If they think it'll sell then squeeze another run out, it almost certainly won't sell when the DJM one is available on the open market in a year or two.

Hmm, i didn't receive this one. I wonder if i'm now blacklisted for sharing the first one

I notice it's not on his website yet either, although I understand it was nothing overly noteworthy!

• RMweb Premium

Still means a lot of people will have 92s, from a tooling which owes Hornby nothing. There will remain a good number who will wait for Dave's one I'm sure, and once it's out there it's hard to imagine Hornby being able to charge anything close to the same amount. Quite shrewd really.

Hornby's 92 has been in the range for a long time now - must be nearly 25 years, they've already done a GBRF one (if not more). IMO the issue with it is that it looks really 'plasticky', which is most obvious on the GBRF and DB Schenker models. Detailing will undoubtedly help, but it's just a bit of a train set model.

I'm sure the DJM one will be a vastly better model, but you can't blame Hornby for continuing to release theirs.

Personally I cannot understand why Hornby insist on releasing their version, as opposed to the much finer detailed and better haulage capacity of the Lima one that they inherrited!  Perhaps its politics - but Lima's is a much better offering.  If only they'd use that tooling and not theirs - it would be a "reasonable" Class 92!

Regards,

C.

Personally I cannot understand why Hornby insist on releasing their version, as opposed to the much finer detailed and better haulage capacity of the Lima one that they inherrited! Perhaps its politics - but Lima's is a much better offering. If only they'd use that tooling and not theirs - it would be a "reasonable" Class 92!

Regards,

C.

It will probably cost Hornby money to update the Lima one with a 5-pole motor, better scale pantographs, a DCC socket and basic lighting. Therefore if they re-release the Lima one, it will cost us more to buy it.

People on rmweb will probably go for the DJ Models one, but there's going to be thousands who will buy the Hornby one. Not too many are fussed about detail, not too many can afford the RRP prices and not too many know about the DJM Class 92. To a lot of people in the hobby it's brands like Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan and Dapol that exists. So many haven't heard of DJM, RevolutioN, Accurascale etc.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's 92 has been in the range for a long time now - must be nearly 25 years, they've already done a GBRF one (if not more). IMO the issue with it is that it looks really 'plasticky', which is most obvious on the GBRF and DB Schenker models. Detailing will undoubtedly help, but it's just a bit of a train set model.

I'm sure the DJM one will be a vastly better model, but you can't blame Hornby for continuing to release theirs.

The Hornby model scrubs up really well; here's an example seen elsewhere on RMweb. Most models look 'plasticky' straight out of the box but respond well to weathering. I know not everyone feels confident about tackling this; the majority of my friends send their stock away to TMC, who to my eyes do an excellent job at a reasonable price.

• RMweb Premium

It’s something about the DB and GBRF ones specifically, as I said, I agree the grey ones look a lot better, and I don’t doubt that with enough attention any of them can look good.

That looks like the Lima tooling too?

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

It’s something about the DB and GBRF ones specifically, as I said, I agree the grey ones look a lot better, and I don’t doubt that with enough attention any of them can look good.

That looks like the Lima tooling too?

I've double checked here, the builder states it's the Hornby 92. Scroll down to the comments where the photo is attached.

• RMweb Premium

Fair enough, been a long time since I've actually looked at either in the flesh! Also just shows up how bad the Hornby DB red version is particularly IMO!

R3149_1045662_Qty1_1.jpg

*shudder*

Suffice to say he's also done a little more than weather that grey one! It seems pretty moot though, no one is disputing the DJM one will look immeasurably better, but I also can't blame Hornby at all for getting another run of theirs out first, for all the reasons above, a lot of people will buy them, and I'm sure they will be overwhelmingly be happy with them.

I expect they’ll get more than just one more run before they have competition and will always be able to cut their price as it should have paid off its R&D now.

I’m sure their 66 still sells against the Bachmann one and that Bachmann’s 24 still sells against the SLW one so there should be room for both 92s so long as the high quality, fidelity and reliability comes through in the new one.

• RMweb Premium

For sure, but the observation was that there's only c£10 between retail prices, and they'll probably struggle with that when there's competition. But yes, punt it out as a Railroad model for £80, or TTS or something and it could have a new lease of life. But we digress (or rather we continue digressing!).

For sure, but the observation was that there's only c£10 between retail prices, and they'll probably struggle with that when there's competition. But yes, punt it out as a Railroad model for £80, or TTS or something and it could have a new lease of life. But we digress (or rather we continue digressing!).

£10 difference between the Hornby Class 92 and DJM Class 92?

Fair enough, been a long time since I've actually looked at either in the flesh! Also just shows up how bad the Hornby DB red version is particularly IMO!

R3149_1045662_Qty1_1.jpg

*shudder*

Suffice to say he's also done a little more than weather that grey one! It seems pretty moot though, no one is disputing the DJM one will look immeasurably better, but I also can't blame Hornby at all for getting another run of theirs out first, for all the reasons above, a lot of people will buy them, and I'm sure they will be overwhelmingly be happy with them.

I've thought that Hornby's DB Schenker models look,.... well,.... too red and plastic. It's put me off buying the Hornby 66 & 67 before . Maybe the colour is 100% matched, but it just looks wrong to me. Could there be something called scale colour?

• RMweb Gold

I've thought that Hornby's DB Schenker models look,.... well,.... too red and plastic. It's put me off buying the Hornby 66 & 67 before . Maybe the colour is 100% matched, but it just looks wrong to me. Could there be something called scale colour?

I’m assuming DB Schenker livery is the same red as used in Germany. Ive got Roco, Piko,Fleischmann models and they all seem to colour match fine over there.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I don't think the colour is wrong specifically, it's just something about the model, not even sure what it is, but it's just as bad in the flesh. Must be the particular plastic used.

£10 difference between the Hornby Class 92 and DJM Class 92?

Yes... the Hornby one retails for £120, and the DJM one is £130...?