NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

Just a thought about the attached/unattached nameplates Dave, but could you do both?

50% of the batch having the nameplate fitted in the factory and the rest with the etched nameplate in the box? Would it really be so different to offering DCC Ready or Fitted versions?

That’s quite a good idea, if it could be done without too much bother.

I cant believe that people are already moaning about the liveries available when someone like Dave takes on the task of producing a proper 92.

I'll choose one from what is produced.

Dave

Just to state that mine wasn't a moan, mine was juat saying that because there wasn't the livery i required i wouldn't be taking part in this particular crowd funding but wished him luck.

If a second batch was to be announced that had the Caledonian livery then i would definitely 100% go for that. But for me the 92 would be part of my static collection and not part of my running fleet so i'd rather wait and see if the only livery im interested in would appear later rather than getting one of the liveries i'm not bothered about/ don't like, just for the sake of it. if one doesn't appear then so be it (I have 3 of Dave's 71's and a 74 ordered so i'm supporting that project, but 92's don't really excite me so i'm happier to sit this one out)

I could, like someone else said get one and have it professionally repainted, but for a loco that doesn't excite me to spend £150 on it then pay for a full respray for what would be a static model isn't worth it for me personally but maybe a good idea for someone else.

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress and hopefully seeing an end product and I really hope it goes well for Dave and all those that have been after a better detailed 92 because it deserves to do well. unfortunately for me justifying a 92 in a livery i don't like or need doesn't make sense. i'd love to support the project but there are only so many projects I can commit to financially

As for nameplates! I like the option to renumber and rename locos so prefer separate nameplates and no printed name to make it easier, but that is just my personal preference and I can understand other peoples preference for fitted/printed names.

I cant believe that people are already moaning about the liveries available when someone like Dave takes on the task of producing a proper 92.

I'll choose one from what is produced.

Dave

No-one's moaning about anything. As always, Dave opens up what he's doing to interested members on RMweb and people have an input to give him ideas that might help the model to be a better seller.

Ultimately, he will offer us a choice of models based on commercial realities and possibly these ideas and we all hope it's a winner.

I wish you luck with it Dave, but I'm a little on the fence really with this one as I too was really after a Caley Sleeper one. I could purchase one to respray but the cost of your fine loco, plus the cost of the professional respray is not one I really wish to proceed with especially when I've just bought a Lima one last week to modify and do the same with. Which brings me onto my next point - Without wishing to cause another Duplication, 92023 SNCF cab logo 'Ravel' was one of the one's produced by Lima - I know, as it's one I bought to find itself go into Caley Sleeper just as the real thing has.

If you do gain permissions from Serco for the Caley Sleeper - Then I'm in. 92038 Wouldn't be my choice of loco though, As although it's in Caley Sleeper Midnight Teal, it's one of the less common locos on the Sleeper. 014 or 018 would be my choice - 92014 Has been modified and can currently be found working the Sleeper. 92018 I believe is currently being modified and will return to Sleeper duties when back from Brush. Perhaps the 'Chunnel' Rings could be a separate attachment for those wishing to create 038?

Hello there, 

I would be very interested in one or two or three of these and like many people on here the CS livery appeals to me 92038 with the channel Tunnel roundels is a winner in my eyes. 

Benjamin

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

After doing a little bit of research of images of the proposed locos the DB red is of interest to me and like a few others have said the grey with EWS beastie stickers was common. My thoughts are to get the SNCF branded grey one as that should be easier to renumber/ less to debrand then use Railtec transfers to add Beasties/ new numbers etc.

Seperate plates and unprinted would make this easier.

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

After doing a little bit of research of images of the proposed locos the DB red is of interest to me and like a few others have said the grey with EWS beastie stickers was common. My thoughts are to get the SNCF branded grey one as that should be easier to renumber/ less to debrand then use Railtec transfers to add Beasties/ new numbers etc.

Seperate plates and unprinted would make this easier.

Thanks

Mark

FWIW I think Ashford will be the better base model for adding beasties - it carried that livery with the metal name plate etc, so all you have to do is remove the RFD branding.

If you start with a base model of Ravel you've got to remove the SNCF logos and the name plate, then add BR double arrows, renumber it and add the beasties. Can't find what livery 023 carried between SNCF and Caledonian Sleeper though

Hi everyone,

As promised here are the crowdfunded OO gauge models including product codes, running numbers and liveries.

There are 1 or 2 notable omissions but this is down to permissions, and / or not wanting to dilute the spread of models so that the minimum order quantity is reached rather than isn't.

As always, there will only be enough made of each model to satisfy demand, and only a few extra for spares / repairs. Therefore, like the class 71, you will have a truly unique model as, again like the 71, i will not be repeating the livery / running number combination.

'Expressions of Interest' will now open on my web site early next week, and i will let you all know here when it does.

cheers

Dave

Class 92 Crowfunded models.

DJMOOC92-001  92016 DBSchenker Red/Grey

DJMOOC92-002  92023 SNCF cab logo (triple Grey unbranded) 'Ravel'

DJMOOC92-003  92032 GBRf / Europorte livery

DJMOOC92-004  92001 EWS Maroon 'Victor Hugo'

DJMOOC92-005  92030 Railfreight Distribution branded Triple Grey 'Ashford'

92001 for me probably! Although a version of grey is certainly how I remember most of three 92s!

Can't find what livery 023 carried between SNCF and Caledonian Sleeper though

In short, it hasn't carried anything else. It's gone from storage in SNCF to Caledonian Sleeper at Brush works.

Incidentally another 92 has just been repainted at Brush, Ex SNCF 92028 'Saint Seans' has just been turned out in GBRf from SNCF / Triple Grey.

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of nameplates.

I have 4 Dapol westerns. None of which are carrying the nameplates as placed on the box.

This has been a boon for me, as I standardised on 1 nameplate manufacturer for my westerns ensuring the same consistent dimensions, paint finish and polish/steel finish of the plate, which often is not possible if mixing an OEM nameplate with that of other vendors for the same class.

It is also sometimes an added issue trying to place a nameplate / number plate over than of a printed one, if the dimensions are not the same.

Had they been printed I'd probably have purchased more cautiously.

So I wish all vendors would go this route. (I understand some don't/can't/won't want to spoil a collectors finish and affix themselves but many buyers will be savvy enough to fix it, or ask their local shop to fix it for them (maybe this could be an optional extra before shipping to have them fitted ?)

The other option is what Replica did with its class 45... Offer an unumbered one, with some rub on transfers for names / numbers in the box ?

(Oh and I have 4 Dapol sets of western nameplates spare if anyone wants, as mine are now running as D1010/D1023/D1041 and D1048). As it is, I'm still considering doing a D1058.

Post edit:

On reflection of the above post... Just making unumbered examples and forget the nameplates in my case would have been fine. :-) so given the success of the western, and the relatively standard rail freight variant carried for many years by the class 92...An unumbered one may not be such a bad thing... Poll time perhaps ?

Edited by adb968008

I congratulate Dave on another fine choice of loco for crowd sourcing.

The choices of liveries are very good and I understand that it is not possible to do everything in the first run. However, if at some point in the future there is a BR cab logo triple Grey unbranded, I will be interested.

Oddly I have the Lima 92023 SNCF cab logo (triple Grey unbranded) 'Ravel' which was produced in Lima's first year of doing the 92, but this model was tarted up and had lights added so too sentimental to change it. Along with Hornby's RF Distribution Elgar. Both must be some 20 years old now.

I generally privatized stuff.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

In short, it hasn't carried anything else. It's gone from storage in SNCF to Caledonian Sleeper at Brush works.

Any idea how long it was stored for? Presumably they weren't operating in the UK in SNCF livery in recent years? Sure I've not seen a 'plain' triple grey one for a good while!

Regarding nameplates they all didnt get cast plates. An unbranded model ultimately wouldnt sell in big numbers

BUT - will the Channel Tunnel 'Polo' logos be cast or just printed? Fox and Extreme Etches/Shawplan both make these

Regarding nameplates they all didnt get cast plates. An unbranded model ultimately wouldnt sell in big numbers

BUT - will the Channel Tunnel 'Polo' logos be cast or just printed? Fox and Extreme Etches/Shawplan both make these

Hi,

the polo's will be etched.

cheers

Dave

• Like 5

Here's a thought (and a question for Dave), as this is a crowd funded loco, how about having an unnamed, unbranded version (a la Heljan O gauge locos), and if you want to model to produce a specific loco you can order that one - and if it meets the minimum number hey presto - it will be made. Any thoughts?

Either way I'm looking forward to this

Here's a thought (and a question for Dave), as this is a crowd funded loco, how about having an unnamed, unbranded version (a la Heljan O gauge locos), and if you want to model to produce a specific loco you can order that one - and if it meets the minimum number hey presto - it will be made. Any thoughts?

I agree with this, for liveries like the triple grey ones...the triple grey scheme forms the base livery. Furthermore there's various branding like RfD, SNCF the BR cast double arrow etc. I think Dave should consider un-branded models, he can sell transfers of partner with one of the major transfer/decal suppliers. I'm sure most people who want to support a crowd-funder will probably be okay with adding decals.

Even EWS, Caledonian, DB Schenker and GBRf ones can also be supplied in the base livery. I'm under the impression that it will boost sales as it's easier and less risky to spoil a model by just adding decals rather than removing and trying to add more.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

I'm very much against unbranded / un-decalled locomotives as there is proof that they simply do not sell in N and OO gauges. And i really dont think that even if i offered them, i would reach the MOQ, (minimum order quantity) to make it viable.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Incidentally another 92 has just been repainted at Brush, Ex SNCF 92028 'Saint Seans' has just been turned out in GBRf from SNCF / Triple Grey.

92028 was actually repainted into GBRf in August 2015, it has just been at Brush ever since and not moved

regards,

darryl

Any idea how long it was stored for? Presumably they weren't operating in the UK in SNCF livery in recent years? Sure I've not seen a 'plain' triple grey one for a good while!

I'd reckon the SNCF and EPS examples had been stored at Crewe from about 2002 or so, when the first big disruption by migrant intrusion took place. SNCF very quickly handed their Channel Tunnel operations to Europorte, together with a few locos; the rest of the non-EWS/DBS 92s were stored.

I am most likely going to go for the DB red but out of curiosity what do GB Railfreight use there 92's for? I have seen the occasionally on the empty sleeper stock at Waverly before the teal ones arrived.

They are used for transfers of new rolling stock to the UK- chiefly the EMUs from Siemens; the Honda car train which is on trial at present, and various other Channel Tunnel workings. They have also worked container trains to Ipswich, for Felixstowe, and I believe also car trains between Dagenham and Garston.

To add to the above,they will shortly be bringing redundant first-generation Eurostars from France for scrapping in the UK

Edited by Fat Controller

Ooooooooo Ooooooooooo Oooooooooooo! Me waving hand at back of the room!!

I'll put my name down for one (two if it would help the project get across the line). Rail freight triple grey for me. 

Just to add my two penneth worth. I'd be very keen on an unbranded model too.

Right there's many hours modifying an old Lima 92 with a Hornby 60 chassis gone down the swanee............. LOL.

Cheers

Nile

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

The OO gauge crowdfunding 'expressions of interest' for the class 92 is now on my web site ....

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

Please note that I shall also be offering sound fitted versions of each, and these can also be found on the page towards the bottom.

If you 'express interest' please check your spam box as the mechanics of the system should send you a confirmation receipt.

Cheers

Dave

Just watched a video of 92032 in GBRf livery delivering Greenergy TEA tanks so I think I'm going to have to order that one as I have the tanks on order from Revolution trains

Edited by slg