NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 14 April 2019 at 10:54, Ouroborus said:

I think this was discussed but decided against.   The accurascale model will be having one 

This is is quite a challenge. To be DCC workable you either need to replicate what the real one does, asking for some extremely fine assembly and fragile parts to put together, personally I don,t think the technology is in place to do that! Or you cheat adding a part  that does not exist disguised/hidden as best as one can. 

19 hours ago, JSpencer said:

This is is quite a challenge. To be DCC workable you either need to replicate what the real one does, asking for some extremely fine assembly and fragile parts to put together, personally I don,t think the technology is in place to do that! Or you cheat adding a part  that does not exist disguised/hidden as best as one can. 

This may turn out to be a wise move after reading about the problems the decoder for a Bachmann Class 90 will have working a servo.

I don't mind buying a dedicated chip but Bachmann appear to be charging a premium for it upwards £30 (I imagine to have someone reprogram them one by one)

This is only a few quid shy of a TTS sound chip...

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, letterspider said:

after reading about the problems the decoder for a Bachmann Class 90 will have working a servo

What problems have you read about Bachmann's decoder operating the servo in their Class 90? It hasn't even been released yet.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, AY Mod said:

What problems have you read about Bachmann's decoder operating the servo in their Class 90? It hasn't even been released yet.

Storm in a teacup methinks. Bachmann are stepping in early to;

• prevent those who are not savvy with DCC from complaining that their cheap Chinese knock off decoder will not work, by providing a decoder that will work out of the packet
  • Gain a little more revenue by selling said decoder for just shy of 40 quid

Reading between the lines it seems that only minor cv adjustments will be needed to an ESU/Zimo decoder to make it operate the pan - instructions which will be supplied with the loco according to Bachmann :)

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

This is quoted  on the Class 90 thread:

After asking the guys at the Bachmann stand at York today about how many functions are required on a 21 pin decoder to operate all of the lights and the Pantograph I was told that Bachmann are to release a new decoder specifically for the Class 90 as apparently if you use an off the shelf 21 pin decoder it would damage (exact words "burn out") the servo mechanism for the Pantograph.

So as the Class 90 come's fitted with a speaker, with the above issue in mind I asked what if you wanted to fit a sound decoder and they were unable to give an answer.

Perhaps the word 'technical challenge' would have been more appropriate. For me the additional cost of a bespoke DCC chip is certainly a problem. Unfortunately I am forced to cancel my pre-order for now as I cannot justify towards £200 for a locomotive that isn't currently in the livery I want.

Edited by letterspider
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators

Well they are not problems with Bachmann's decoder with Bachmann's 90 are they? That's what you alluded to and in a topic which is about a different manufacturer and product.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, letterspider said:

Unfortunately I am forced to cancel my pre-order for now as I cannot justify towards £200 for a locomotive that isn't currently in the livery I want.

Conflating two separate issues here, or is there a price-point at which you will buy a loco in a livery you don't want?    Interested in the retail psychology!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Ideally I would like a loco that is well detailed and in EWS livery, I still get both 92's and 90's in those liveries passing alongside my home either under their own power (recently since electrification) or being dragged by a 66.

Locos with a good BW pantograph seem hard to manufacture - now we are getting there I am having reservations about servo motors.

If I had a choice I would much prefer the DJM model not to have them. I am sure many modellers will enjoy seeing them go up and down under remote control but for me, I am not sure I would want to pay a premium for them on both the motor and a bespoke chip which seems to be towards 20% of the final cost of the loco and then there is the risk of damage to them which I guess will not be covered by warranty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Generic pantograph question, but Does a servo operated pantograph do anything for DC users ?

(Can us die hards make use of it, is it possible to lift the panto at all if on DC ?).

pantographs are like butterfly wings as it is, without something extra to break.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Ideally I would like a loco that is well detailed and in EWS livery, I still get both 92's and 90's in those liveries passing alongside my home either under their own power (recently since electrification) or being dragged by a 66.

Locos with a good BW pantograph seem hard to manufacture - now we are getting there I am having reservations about servo motors.

If I had a choice I would much prefer the DJM model not to have them. I am sure many modellers will enjoy seeing them go up and down under remote control but for me, I am not sure I would want to pay a premium for them on both the motor and a bespoke chip which seems to be towards 20% of the final cost of the loco and then there is the risk of damage to them which I guess will not be covered by warranty.

Did'nt DJM drop the servo operated panto in the end?

I think only Accurascale's one will have it.

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Generic pantograph question, but Does a servo operated pantograph do anything for DC users ?

(Can us die hards make use of it, is it possible to lift the panto at all if on DC ?).

pantographs are like butterfly wings as it is, without something extra to break.

Either there will be a button underneath to choose up or down or it does nothing.

I used to want sprung pantos so it would touch the wires but these modern scale ones are so fragile that I prefer it if I can set the max height I want.

Unless you have scale curves, it is quite hard to keep narrow scale panto heads directly (more-or-less) in the middle under the wires. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This is just getting ridiculous. We seem to be simultaneously talking about several locos here. Letterspider - if you want to talk about the class 90 then go to the relevant thread. You were the one moaning this was full of off-topic chat, now you're bemoaning livery choices and decoder costs on a different model entirely.

AFAIK current position is that Dave has not said there will be a servo-operated pantograph on his 92, indeed the website says plastic poseable (not that I'd place much faith in that), and I recall him say on this thread that he would consider including sprung too, for people who wanted that.

Edited by njee20
  • Agree 8

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

AFAIK current position is that Dave has not said there will be a servo-operated pantograph on his 92, indeed the website says plastic poseable (not that I'd place much faith in that), and I recall him say on this thread that he would consider including sprung too, for people who wanted that.

When Hornby released their class 71, it was their best pantograph to date, Yet DJMs class 71 panto was even finer and better in detail. The best plastic one I've ever seen. But it is fragile so you won't want it rubbing against wires.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, and to that end I'm sure Dave said something about offering both - sprung metal for those who want it to run on the wires and poseable plastic for those who wanted a finer moulding.

10 hours ago, njee20 said:

This is just getting ridiculous. We seem to be simultaneously talking about several locos here. Letterspider - if you want to talk about the class 90 then go to the relevant thread. You were the one moaning this was full of off-topic chat, now you're bemoaning livery choices and decoder costs on a different model entirely.

You could have messaged that privately,  why didn't you? 

Just because my concerns and ideas and dialogues with other members don't resonate with yours, it makes them ridiculous? 

Don't bother replying,  I know how to deal with bullies.

This project is in direct competition with Accurascale and the closest idea of how their servo might work is the 90 from Bachmann. 

I have been able to use this forum to find out which model to choose by asking other members and manufacturers. Isn't that the whole point of an internet forum?

Edited by letterspider
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Did'nt DJM drop the servo operated panto in the end?

I think only Accurascale's one will have it.

Yes IIRC it would have incurred a significant increase in cost and crowdfunders expressed main preference was higher detail and also possibility of DJM supplying spares. I have a couple of RTC pantograph cars and I would really like to get some BW pantographs for them as the Limby ones have sold out now. 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, letterspider said:

You could have messaged that privately,  why didn't you? 

Just because my concerns and ideas and dialogues with other members don't resonate with yours, it makes them ridiculous? 

Don't bother replying,  I know how to deal with bullies.

This project is in direct competition with Accurascale and the closest idea of how their servo might work is the 90 from Bachmann. 

I have been able to use this forum to find out which model to choose by asking other members and manufacturers. Isn't that the whole point of an internet forum?

Yes, but there are topics, and you’ve specifically complained that people are cluttering this one with off topic discussion and yet here you are, still talking about the Accurascale 92 and Bachmann 90, neither of which are the subject of this thread. There are busy threads for each, ask the relevant questions there. I’m not bullying you and I have no issues with your concerns, but surely you can see that asking Accurascale which decoder to fit to a Bachmann 90 (as you did) is pretty daft. Would you ask VW if aftermarket parts would fit your Volvo?

Can I ask which DCC controller people use here? Or how to wire a double slip? What are views on Brexit? It’s an Internet forum after all...

This thread is (meant to be) about the DJM 92. If the question was whether there was a servo operated pantograph that’s fine, ask that. The answer as far as we all know is ‘no’. End. It doesn’t mean you should then segue into other models that may  have servo-operated pantographs, whether in competition with this or not. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

On 23/04/2019 at 19:59, Markwj said:

Has there been an email about next payment I think it was suggested it would be asked for about 4 weeks ago!

Further to this, I wonder whether we need to be worried about the progress of this project?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Boromark said:

Further to this, I wonder whether we need to be worried about the progress of this project?

The last one was early March. All he could possibly have at this point is either:

1/ still tweeking the CADs

2/ have signed off the CADs

Which are not far off from what was said previously. Remember Hornby spent 3 months doing their Prairie loco in house. It will be a longer in China.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...