NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

On 11/05/2019 at 21:46, letterspider said:

Crowdfunders come to attention and rally around!

there was a time when a gentleman was a man of his word...no I don't mean Dave but us crowdfunders who pledged allegiance to his banner and marched behind him waving our mighty £30 deposits - willing to fight for the freedom to choose the model we wanted.

Yes that 92 from Accurascale looks really nice but should we be so quick to run to it. They have revealed a CAD just a few weeks ahead of announcing they are going to tooling, so there was a lot of advance planning and work going on, who knows how soon after Dave announced his plan for a 92. They are almost apologetic about the 92 that they are making. I think they say the original plan was they wanted to make the Mark 5 but on agreement they have to make a Class 92 as well to go with it. So sorry for them ruining our project. 

Are they aware that they are going to hurt all the crowdfunders really bad? They don't want to talk about it.

Luckily Accurascale are coming to our rescue us with a great looking 92 (no I really do think it looks to be a stunning model) after torpedoing our project - thanks guys. 

Now some of YOU crowdfunders are complaining about Dave and saying they are going to walk away from 2nd deposits because they are going to buy from Accurascale.  Even if he came to market next week with a better, more affordable Class 92 with a free sound chip and which laid golden goose eggs would you come back?

Should we be surprised if Dave walks away from this project? 

It is the crowdfunders who have walked away which killed this project - not Dave. 

Its the broken promises and lack of tangible progress in over 2 years which have killed this project and caused crowdfunders to walk away. Crowdfunding will be entirely dependent on confidence in those running the project and in this case thats been lost

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That is so random! What do you think then, used photogrammetry software on a OO gauge model or something? At half the price I'd have been tempted as a display piece! Given it could a bit ropey I'm out at £200.

I thought that it was only lavatory windows that had the privacy frosting. Nice to see that the driver's privacy is suitably accounted for...presumably so that no one can see him sleeping?

11 minutes ago, njee20 said:

That is so random! What do you think then, used photogrammetry software on a OO gauge model or something? At half the price I'd have been tempted as a display piece! Given it could a bit ropey I'm out at £200.

Perhaps an oversized model to highlight the detail

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, but why, highlight it to who? It's not acutally anything to do with Dave, surely? He says he "reverse engineered it" from the prototype, I can't imagine any private user having anything suitable other than photogrammetry software to hand, and why not frankly - take a load of photos of a Hornby model (I accept the detail appears to be Dave's model though), tweak the CADs, double the size, job jobbed.

Or has he just got hold of Dave's CADs and printed it? Dave asked him to do it and he's now flogging it? The material looks to me more like a resin cast of a 3D print, although I accept I know virtually nothing of the various printer materials.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That does appear to be the case, although the print does look eerily similar to Dave's CAD from my (admittedly fairly cursory) glance.

Edited by njee20

1 hour ago, LaGrange said:

Definitely made from the CAD of the DJM Class 92. Quite a few things actually point out to this and confirm it.

- cab roof profile (the incorrect cab roof profile).

- roof detail (matches CAD images and the previous 3D printed sample)

- body-side grilles (matches his previously shown 3D printed samples)

- last and most obvious, DJM's design for the tension lock couplers.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Definitely made from the CAD of the DJM Class 92. Quite a few things actually point out to this and confirm it.

- cab roof profile (the incorrect cab roof profile).

- roof detail (matches CAD images and the previous 3D printed sample)

- body-side grilles (matches his previously shown 3D printed samples)

- last and most obvious, DJM's design for the tension lock couplers.

And three switches on the underside of the fuel tanks. Does the Hornby one have those? And the bumps for the gears under the bogies. They certainly aren't from "reverse engineering from the real thing".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given what others have said this looks like it originated from the DJM CAD and is not derived from the Hornby version.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I doubt photogrammetry would get anywhere new as close to Dave's original without needing a lot of tidying up before printing. And why would you include the gear bumps and switches?

It has to come from an original DJM CAD. Remember he already used the same CAD to shrink it to a smaller scale (almost N!!!). So scaling up would have been just as easy (though taking longer to print).

The sellers information is for all

to see on eBay, there is even a phone number to call if anyone is that bothered. I’m sure DJM’s lawyers are on the case if this is not legitimate. This just pours oil on already sizzling coals!

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Is the body shell printed in one piece?

Most hobby 3D printers I've seen will struggle with a 3D print longer than 200mm. To be able to print a full 0 gauge body in one piece (if it is in one piece) would need an industrial (and expensive) 3D printer.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I doubt photogrammetry would get anywhere new as close to Dave's original without needing a lot of tidying up before printing. And why would you include the gear bumps and switches?

It has to come from an original DJM CAD. Remember he already used the same CAD to shrink it to a smaller scale (almost N!!!). So scaling up would have been just as easy (though taking longer to print).

Yeah I assumed at first it was a Hornby clone, was only when I looked closer I saw it appeared to be Dave’s CAD, I agree I can’t for a second imagine that’s photogrammetry. I don’t understand it though!