RAILEX 2017 27 & 28 May

David Bigcheeseplant

Hello All

Those of you who are taking the advantage of using the Free Vintage Bus, please can you if possible have the exact change for when you are buying your Railex ticket £9 and Programme £1 from the Bus Team, as this will help speed things along.

We have plenty of tickets to purchase.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

Hello All

If you arrive at the stadium early and buy a ticket at the stadium, you can buy a cooked breakfast before the show opens.

We have lockers that rucksacks and other stuff can be left while you wander round the show.

Just a final point on parking, it does get busy at the stadium, it will fill up quick, as we only have a few hundred free places, once these are full you will need to park in the hospital, we have hired one of the hospital staff car park it is likely this will fill too. There will be plenty of spaces in the adjacent hospital car parks as these are lightly used at weekends, but these charge, there are pay and display plus take your ticket and pay as you leave barrier type parking. If unsure please double check where you are parking, as you don't want to end up with a ticket!

As has been suggested many times park at the Friarcroft carpark by Morrisons in the town centre and get our vintage bus in from Aylesbury Station carpark, there is a short walk from the stadium bus stop to the exhibition.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Currently relaxing in the hotel before walking down for a beer and a curry. Bit of an issue this morning as the cassette deck for the Wharf was occupied by young Chunky.

post-1074-0-56453400-1495820956_thumb.jpg

Mini has a word with her son to get him to move.......

post-1074-0-39120000-1495821042_thumb.jpg

Which he does......... up on to my demo board on top of the Wharf! He is handsome but not the sharpest pencil in the case!!

post-1074-0-35193500-1495821124_thumb.jpg

See some of you over the weekend

Jerry

• Like 12

Made at opening time.parking a laugh. I'm nowhere near disabled but currently can't walk more than about 100yds.

Good selection of traders and layouts. As usual. Well done. Plenty of space and a seating area inside the hall.

Unfortunately let down by a few of the layouts / operators. Very slow or no trains at all. Layouts of this quality shouldn't have teething problems.

By the way. Don't expect to get in unless you have cash. Good luck.

I wouldn't say don't go. Just be prepared.

Unfortunately let down by a few of the layouts / operators. Very slow or no trains at all. Layouts of this quality shouldn't have teething problems.

Sometimes the inevitable consequence of stripping a layout down, shoving it in the back of a van then bouncing it it all about  for a few hundred miles, pushing or carry it a hundred yards or so at the venue, rebuilding it and trying to test it before the hall closes late on Friday.

Most rough running seems to smooth out by Saturday afternoon. 

P

By the way. Don't expect to get in unless you have cash. Good luck.

And yet the current trend - outwith Model Railway Shows - is for card only transactions  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

It might make sense for a trader doing regular transactions to invest in card readers as there are quite cheap options now but it's still not economic for one weekend a year ;)

And yet the current trend - outwith Model Railway Shows - is for card only transactions  :jester:

Speaking from experience of being part of the organisation of a couple of shows, as in Scaleforum at the same venue, and Scalefour North in Wakefield, the major problem is not the shows, but the venues.

Large tin boxes i.e. sports halls are not very good at (i) allowing mobile signals in or (ii) coming equipped with local wifi networks.  There's not much call for badminton players to be doing online banking at the same time.

Some venues are better than others: S4N is better than S4um because it is a more traditional building construction and allows more signals through.  Most vendors have some form of card machine now, but mobile network providers vary and you can often see the trader's lonely trek to the emergency exit doors in a vain bid to receive a signal.

In the last Scalefour Society Committee meeting we discussed the possibility of putting card terminals on the doors at Scaleforum.  We decided not to go with it because unless we are guaranteed a good wireless signal, it would be slower than using cash.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

Strangely enough, High Level had no problems with card terminal reception today. Looks like the stand was in the perfect spot for it.

On the other side of the hall, Expo Tools were strictly cash only.

Edited by Horsetan

I recall on a few occasions wanting to pay by card and finding the trader already outside trying desperately to get a signal for another customer.

It is often these days enough to make me move along from a trader if they can't take cash, not because I object to paying cash, but often it is too much more effort to go get extra cash (the scooter often lacks the range) and usually I try to get some cash before getting to the venue to have some for what I expect to need.

Hello All

Here are a couple of photos from around lunch time today

post-7053-0-85108100-1495913764_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-82884200-1495913792_thumb.jpg

Those of you attending tomorrow, make sure you purchase a programme on the way in as there might not be any left by the time you leave.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately let down by a few of the layouts / operators. Very slow or no trains at all.

I wasn't overly impressed with one layout operator, who was more interested in watching the Monaco practice on a tablet than running trains Tomorrow's race should result in no service at all.

On a bright note, the quality of Fencehouses, Westcliffe and Gordon & Maggie Gravett's masterpiece puts those responsible firmly into Demigod status. First class.

Brian

Strangely enough, High Level had no problems with card terminal reception today. Looks like the stand was in the perfect spot for it.

On the other side of the hall, Expo Tools were strictly cash only.

It's not the lack of a WiFi signal, I had one on my phone to post my message. It's the lack of the venue or the organisers to arrange to take card payments for entry.

They must have realised it was a problem as they had posted notices in the front doors stating they only take cash or cheques.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I went, I saw and spent too much. Non of the traders I shopped with had a problem with card readers, a pity, I may not have spent so much.

It's a pity Tollesbury Quay left their sky behind, I think it would have made a big difference to the look.

Well it's been an interesting day, some early wobbles (1st 15mins) whilst operator remembered basic rules, then generally ok. My own expectations were routinely not met by myself but I hope I still entertained people. We had a few enquiries and some questions etc. Lots of entertainment watching all the other layouts (even those without sky) and a few strategic purchases.

Back in the morning for bacon butty, Meths and then playing trains :-)