RAILEX 2017 27 & 28 May

David Bigcheeseplant

I know this might sound daft (!) but for an online plan why use numbers for the stands? Why not put the name of the stand instead? Yes a small font would be needed for some smaller stands but on line it's not beyond the wit of users (well most users anyway) to magnify the image.

Using numbers you really have to create two reference lists, one in number order and one in alphabetical and even then there is no grid reference to locate the said number.

Seems like a lot of work for you and people trying to find things. Using words would avoid need for any cross referencing. And although there is some order to the stand numbering it is not actually in full order either up down or left to right. (some goes goes right to left which is less logical when reading)

I realize there's a lot of work involved in creating such plans so please don't think I am criticizing negatively for the sake of it. Just thinking if there's an easier way of providing the data.

So I offer, if you would like, to have a go at putting the words on instead of numbers to see if it works. (once there is a list of stand holders to work from)

(Now I'll get comments that we tried this at an exhibition in 1935 and as all visitors are over 70 and short/long sighted no-one could read it!) (joke)  ("But we always number stands. They have to have a number!" - Do they?)

A worded plan would be more usable on a smartphone or tablet as well - useful if people are carrying one around to take photos etc. Can easily flick between the two and not have to juggle a plan or open programme at the same time. Just some ideas.

Best wishes

RichardS

• RMweb Gold

Cheltenham Model Centre stand 22? correct

Eileen's Emporium stand 13?       ​correct

Stand 72 looks like Fencehouses  nope

so I suspect 70 and 71 is us with the Wharf and the 2mm Association nope

Ok, what about FH at 57 with the Wharf an 2mm at 59 and 60

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

No one has yet picked it up but there is a watery theme at Railex this year with Harlyn Pier, Heybridge Wharf, Tolesbury Quay, Tesparret Wharf & William Smith Wharf!

and Jerry doing battleships as a demo. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Spot on Jerry, although I wonder why it took you so long as your number was on your final detail pack posted out a few weeks ago!

Real modellers only read the instructions as an absolute last resort!

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Real modellers only read the instructions as an absolute last resort!

:offtopic:

There is a subset of Real Modellers who read the instructions and then completely ignore them.

Edited by Kylestrome

Mention was made of a Bus Service from Aylesbury Railway Station, I assume from the Station fore court, to the Stoke Mandeville stadium, and I assume return trips as well.(Saturday visit)

Have you any details of the service, as having difficulty with walking such details are vital, especially with the cost of the rail fare. I would assume from National Rail enquires that I would be at the Station by about 11.40, how frequent are the bus services, and times of returns to be able to match return at abut 4.30..

This would be on the Saturday, as there are no buses here on Sunday. The exact pickup point would be appreciated at Aylesbury so that I do not have to search for it.

many thanks

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

• RMweb Gold

Real modellers only read the instructions as an absolute last resort!​

But you read the bit about the Saturday night beers!

A fair cop, but a chap does have to learn the art of being selective!,

Jerry

• Like 1

The bus will depart from Aylesbury station carpark not the forecourt, Once we know the revised Chiltern Railway time tables we will confirm the bus timetable and post it here and on the Railex website.

Generally it will be around every half hour on the Saturday and every hour on Sunday Railex tickets and programmes can be brought on the bus, due to driver rest requirements there will be a break on Saturday around lunch for around 45 minutes. There is a short walk from where the bus drops you off to the stadium itself, A taxi from the station forecourt to the front door of the stadium will probably be around the £4 mark.

I hope this helps.

David

No one has yet picked it up but there is a watery theme at Railex this year with Harlyn Pier, Heybridge Wharf, Tolesbury Quay, Tesparret Wharf & William Smith Wharf!

....... and Denton Brook......!

• Administrators

I know this might sound daft (!) but for an online plan why use numbers for the stands? Why not put the name of the stand instead? Yes a small font would be needed for some smaller stands but on line it's not beyond the wit of users (well most users anyway) to magnify the image.

Years of working on website usability makes me say "Oh yes it is." Even people you would think will grasp this sort of thing can struggle to the point where the person conducting the test just wants to beat them to death with the keyboard. Odly, teachers always seemed to be the worst group...

Seriously though, I suspect that the printed version of the programme forces the numbering of stands and doing something different for the web just adds work (which to your credit, you've offered to do even though that sort of helpfulness will probably earn a repremand ;-) ) and the train spotters in the audience likes to "cop" all the stands.