Farish Standard 4MT 2-6-4 Tank

TomE

• RMweb Gold

There doesn't appear to be a dedicated thread for this release, so I thought i'd post a few thoughts and photos for those interested. 

I first placed my order for this model way back in March 2012 just after the model was first announced, so it's been a wait of 4 1/4 years for it to reach the market, which I think is the longest gestation period of any of the recent Fairsh models. Hopefully the days of us waiting this long for models are coming to an end, but it does beg the question, was it worth the wait? Yes, would be my answer!

The 'olde Farish' 4MT was not a bad model, however it was very much a product of it's time. A die cast body with soft detail, solid wheels and unpredictable performance pegged it firmly in the Poole era, and despite a slight refresh by Bachmann not long after the takeover of the Farish range, it was really showing its age. The new model blows it clean out of the water in every aspect, from fine detail down to smooth controllable performance straight out of the box, for my example anyway. 

post-1467-0-90229000-1471100604_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-76267300-1471100687_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-39331700-1471100497_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-33508600-1471100495_thumb.jpg

I thought it would be interesting to compare the 4MT with the Fairburn Tank. Announced after but released some time before the 4MT.

post-1467-0-32070900-1471100957_thumb.jpg

Unlike the prototype however, there appears to be virtually no similarity between the models, continuing Bachmann's long held policy of producing bespoke chassis for the class being modelled. 

My example will eventually become 80150, long time Barry resident until it's move to the Mid Hants a couple of years ago. Hopefully it will return to steam at somepoint in the future, however I suspect that project will make the wait for the model seem short in comparison! 

Tom. 

I bought 80027 (an ScR loco) from Harburn Hobbies yesterday and I too have been thoroughly impressed so far .

I'm a recent entrant to N gauge, a diversion of interest that would never have happened without the incredible transformation in detail levels and running qualities in recent years, particularly since the Bachmann takeover of Farish and Dapol raising their game.

I bought 80027 (an ScR loco) from Harburn Hobbies yesterday.

80119 was a Scottish Region engine too, even if only for its last 18 months before being withdrawn.

• RMweb Gold

As to length of wait, I think we waited longer for the Ivatt 2-6-0 but wasn't the wait worth it!

Ah yes, the Ivatt. I would say that the one benefit of that wait was we ended up with a loco drive mechanism rather than the tender drive it would probably have had if released on the original schedule. In that respect the wait was worth it, and my personal experience is that the loco drive models are far superior in performance to the tender drive, although I know some might disagree.

Tom.

Excellent pictures, thanks Tom E - it looks a lovely model.  Good idea to compare it with the Fairburn - they do look quite different.  Have always preferred the smoother sides and boxier profile of the 4MT.

Hopefully my local shop, Great Eastern Models, will have 80119 delivered this week.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

There doesn't appear to be a dedicated thread for this release, so I thought i'd post a few thoughts and photos for those interested. 

I first placed my order for this model way back in March 2012 just after the model was first announced, so it's been a wait of 4 1/4 years for it to reach the market, which I think is the longest gestation period of any of the recent Fairsh models. Hopefully the days of us waiting this long for models are coming to an end, but it does beg the question, was it worth the wait? Yes, would be my answer!

The 'olde Farish' 4MT was not a bad model, however it was very much a product of it's time. A die cast body with soft detail, solid wheels and unpredictable performance pegged it firmly in the Poole era, and despite a slight refresh by Bachmann not long after the takeover of the Farish range, it was really showing its age. The new model blows it clean out of the water in every aspect, from fine detail down to smooth controllable performance straight out of the box, for my example anyway. 

I thought it would be interesting to compare the 4MT with the Fairburn Tank. Announced after but released some time before the

Unlike the prototype however, there appears to be virtually no similarity between the models, continuing Bachmann's long held policy of producing bespoke chassis for the class being modelled. 

My example will eventually become 80150, long time Barry resident until it's move to the Mid Hants a couple of years ago. Hopefully it will return to steam at somepoint in the future, however I suspect that project will make the wait for the model seem short in comparison! 

Tom. 

Hello Tom,

I'm wondering if my 2FS conversion kit for the Fairburn can be used for the standard 4MT too. Can you tell if the wheelbase and valve gear dimensions are the same on both types, or where the differences are?

Nig H

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tom,

I'm wondering if my 2FS conversion kit for the Fairburn can be used for the standard 4MT too. Can you tell if the wheelbase and valve gear dimensions are the same on both types, or where the differences are?

Nig H

Hi Nig.

I've just done a rough measure up of the 4MT and Fairburn and both wheelbase and valve gear dimensions appear to be identical. 

Tom.  

Hi Nig.

I've just done a rough measure up of the 4MT and Fairburn and both wheelbase and valve gear dimensions appear to be identical. 

Tom.  

From the photos I have seen, Fairburns have fluted rods whereas BR Standards have plain.

EDIT: or perhaps not. Photos of 80002, 80007, 80052 and 80072 seem to have fluted rods. Later numbers e.g. 80080 onwards have plain. So it looks like it could be usable for early build 80xxx.

Wikipedia seems to have the definitive answer: Initially built with fluted coupling rods, these caused problems on other classes and from 80079 plain section coupling rods were substituted.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Markus.

It takes a normal 6pin chip, not the version with the pins at 90 degrees as used in the 3F.

I've put a Zimo MX621N in mine and there was plenty of room to spare.

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my two today.

I can only endorse what others have said, what absolutely fantastic models.

It is hard to find fault at all. Both run like proverbial sewing machines and have a level of detail and finish that is truly exquisite.

I really don't know what Bachmann can do to raise the bar further but I'm sure they will find a way!

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Finally got my two today.

I can only endorse what others have said, what absolutely fantastic models.

It is hard to find fault at all. Both run like proverbial sewing machines and have a level of detail and finish that is truly exquisite.

I really don't know what Bachmann can do to raise the bar further but I'm sure they will find a way!

Roy

Maybe to fit those fiddly coupling hooks like Dapol do! Plus to include some Dapol couplings in the box, though I can't see that happening!

I might consider getting one, but, has anyone who has bought the new Standard 4MT tank had one with the "Fairburn wobble"?  I was wondering if this model had the same problem as the chassis looks similar, and the problem with the Fairburns might be present in the 4MT too.

• 1 month later...

No 'Fairburn Wobble' on my 80119 which arrived from Widnes today. Thank goodness.

There is a distinct difference in the amount of movement in the radius rod and expansion link between the two sides of the loco but it runs smoothly and tracks straight. After a really dispiriting run of 'duds' in one way or another it looks like I've got lucky!

Finally I have a Std 4MT tank and an Ivatt 2MT mogul - the two locos I wrote to Bachmann to ask them to make when I was about ten years old!

• 5 months later...

A  quick  |digital  query  on  the  2-6-4T

I am  experiencing a  slight  problem  with  the  digital   running  of   the  loco,  firstly  I  would  add  the  loco  runs  fine  without  any  problems  on  analogue,

However    when  digitized   it runs  smoothly  on  speed steps 1  to  4 accelerating  smoothly  but  on  step  5  it  speeds  up  unrealistically. remains at the  same  speed  thro  step 6 then  slows at  speed step 7  to  what  it  should  have been had  it accelerated  smoothly  from  step 4.  Thereafter  it   accelerates  smoothly  through the  rest  of  the  speed  step  range  .

I have  a  lot  of  digital  experience  spanning  the  last  20  yrs, so  I  have  tried  a  few  things to  rectify  the  problem,  including  decoder  resets  and  adjusting  the  relevant  speed  step cvs  for steps 5 & 6 to different  values,  these  had  no effect  whatsoever,  I also  checked  for  on  board  capacitors  but  none  located  UNLESS  any one  has  any  info as  to  where  any may be  located??

The  decoder  in  question  is  a  Gaugemaster  DCC28  Now  this  is  the  big  BUT  I  have  tried  the  loco  with  3 of  these decoders  with  exactly  the  same  results!!  I slipped  one  into a Farish  EMU  it  worked  perfectly!!

So it  would  appear  that  there may  be  something with  the  loco  not  quite  right  The  question  of  Coreless Motors  also  arises.

Any  views  most  welcome

Maybe to fit those fiddly coupling hooks like Dapol do! Plus to include some Dapol couplings in the box, though I can't see that happening!

Well   they  could  include  some  Bachmann USA  N  Gauge  Knuckle  Couplings ( providing  they  had  NEM fittings)  but  I  don't  suppose  that  will happen  either!!

• RMweb Gold

A  quick  |digital  query  on  the  2-6-4T

Hi Steve.

I can't comment on the Gaugemaster chip i'm afraid as I've never used them, but mine has a Zimo MX621N in it and I've had no issues like those you describe, in fact the running on DCC is better than DC in my case. 

Tom. 

Hi Steve.

I can't comment on the Gaugemaster chip i'm afraid as I've never used them, but mine has a Zimo MX621N in it and I've had no issues like those you describe, in fact the running on DCC is better than DC in my case. 

Tom. 

It  is  a  rather  strange  occurance,  my  immediate thoughts  were  capacitor  interference,  however  non  have  been  located  in  the loco,  at  the  moment  I  have  no  alternative  decoder  brands  to  hand  to  test  the  loco  with  although  I  have  to  order  some in the next  few  days  to  digitize  some  Heljan 00-9 L&B  2-6-2s  coming  my  way  hopefully.

The  only  other  thing  which  come  to  mind  which  comes  to  mind  is  an  issue  I  had  with  a  Haskins  0n30  Australian ' Puffing  Billy' 2-6-2T  which  was    Coreless  Motor  fitted  and  that  demonstrated  similar  problems,

I have  used  loads  of  Gaugemaster  decoders  and  never  had  any  problems,,  the  fact  that  I tried  the  decoder which  was  fitted  to  the 2-6-4T today  in  another loco to test it  and  it  workded  fine  seems  to indicate  the  fault  does not lie  with  the  decoder.

This is the third post I've seen in the last couple of weeks reporting problems with GaugeMaster chips and coreless Farish locos. The conventional wisdom is to disable DC (analogue) on the chip and if you have a Railcomm enabled controller disable Railcomm there too. 

Feedback from those who have tried this is that it solves the running problems which were being experienced. Worth a try!

Cheers

Dave

This is the third post I've seen in the last couple of weeks reporting problems with GaugeMaster chips and coreless Farish locos. The conventional wisdom is to disable DC (analogue) on the chip and if you have a Railcomm enabled controller disable Railcomm there too. 

Feedback from those who have tried this is that it solves the running problems which were being experienced. Worth a try!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks  Dave

20  years  of  messing  around  with  digital  and  I  completely  ignored  my  own  knowledge!!

I will give  it  a  go  tomorrow!!

UPDATE...... i  disabled  analogue  control  on  the  decoder (the DCC28)  absolutely  no  difference  made  to  the speed  surge  around   speed  steps 5 & 6  etc.

Next  move  was  to  do  decoder  swap  between a  known decoder  which  happened  to  be  in  a ROCO  H0e  Co Co  electric  loco  and  the  DCC28  in  the 2-6-4T

The decoder from  the  Roco loco is  a  Bachmann  standard  6 pin ( the   cheaper ones  now  apparently no longer listed)    the  2-6-4T  ran perfectly!!

I inserted  the  DCC28  into  the  ROCO  and ' low  &  behold '  that  works  perfectly.

So it  remains  a  bit  of  a  mystery,  the  strange  thing  being  that  the  eratic  running   in  the  2-6-4  occured  withh THREE deifferent  Gaugemaster DCC28s! :scratchhead:

I still lean  towards  suspecting  coreless motor glitches ,  but  keeping  an  open  mind  on  that,  I  have  another  Farish Coreless motored  loco arriving  soon  so  I will be  able  to  see  what  occurs  with  that  one.

Apologies if  this  has  caused  a  bit  of  thread  drift  but  thought  it  may  be  of  interest  to  users :scratchhead:  

One  thing  I  would  like  to  add  as  a  general  comment,  I  bought  my  first  N  Gauge  back  in  the  Dark  Days   when all that  was  available  in UK  outlne  was  Lima n  & Minitrix  (  the  Minitrix  was  quite  good  we  wont mention Lima)  Graham  Farish  had  not  moved  into  N  Gauge but  Peco   saw  the  potential  and  along  came   the PECO  Jubilee  4-6-0  which  was  a  real  game  changer   I  Bought  the   very  first  one  to  be  sold in  Manchester,  from  the  Bassett-Lowke shop  there,  quickly followed  by 2  or  3  more  (£8.50 They  cost ... half  a  weeks  wages!!)

I  never  fail  to  be  very  impressed  by  what  we  have  today in N   Gauge,  the  sector  has  taken  A giant  leap  forward in the  last  few  years, long  may  it  continue.

PS.............................  I will now   leave  the   Bachmann decoder  in  the 2-6-4T!!

Not sure what the cause is but I read on the N Gauge Forum that someone had the same problem with a Farish Fairburn and a Gaugemaster chip, suffice to say so far I have only used Bachmann chips in Farish models and Gaugemaster chips in Dapol as its what they both seem to like.

Archived