How to correct the Hornby LMS TPO?

• RMweb Gold

While progression on Brent is slowly continuing in the garage, I am also trying to get on and finish some of my in progress rolling stock.

One formation I want to include is the 22:10 Paddington – Penzance TPO,

During 1946/7 the formation was

Siphon G, L23 Stow (812/3/4), L21 Stow (793/4/5), L22 Sort (799/800), LMS D1792 Sort (30249/50/51), L18 Sort (806/7), L14 or L18 Sort (835 /808), Break Van K40 (81 / 1177), Siphon G

(I think I have got the diagram numbers correct for all of these running numbers)

Unfortunately at present the only coaches which can be modelled are the K40 from Comet and the L21 from Kemilway with the rest depending on the 247 developments range finding a new home. This leaves me with the LMS Sorting Carriage.

So now onto my question,

I understand that the Hornby TPO coach is supposed to be a d1792 (all be it 3ft short and on a generic underframe). Is it possible to splice in 12mm of a second coach to add in the missing length (along with rebuilding the ends and adding a new underframe. I have a base model in the attic somewhere which can be used as a basis for conversion.

Where exactly in the side did Hornby chop out the additional length?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the Hornby TPO is very compromised, which is a pity as it features some nice detail. The sorting side is indeed based on D.1792 but compressed from 60ft to 57ft. The equipment side is actually fairly accurate for D.1908 which was a single 57ft van M30204M (that was involved in the great train robbery!). However the sorting side of M30204M was very different to that depicted by the Hornby model.

Probably best just to accept the Hornby model as it is. Ex-LMS TPO vehicles are are minefield with mostly batches of 1 to 3 vehicles and vehicles nominally to the same diagram with differences (D.1792 covers both Period 2 and Period 3 construction) and other seemingly similar vans to different diagrams.

Other compromises with the Hornby model are that the body is too wide and has a coach profile rather than a van profile, and the sliding doors are not inset.

• RMweb Premium

The 247 Developments range is now under new ownership, and I think the etches may be available from the new owners, or otherwise from Stevensons coaches.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

In that case I think I will tart up the chassis a little, and use it as a stop gap pending replacement with a kit.

Though given I have to build 4 GW TPO vans first, it may be some time (particularly if 247s coach range doesn't reappear...)

Archived