Hi everyone, 

It's been a while but I've been working on a new model. I'm hoping to have the model ready for a test print this week. This will be my second attempt at having the motor chassis 3D printed - the last attempt was close but in the end didn't work.This time round I'm using two universal joints per bogie rather than the traditional worm screw. In the meantime, here are the renders:

160815_Render%201_zpsujuusq46.jpg

160815_Render%202_zps3l9bmaue.jpg

160815_Render%203_zpsvt0m6zak.jpg

160815_Render%204_zpssk1tosaq.jpg

I'm working on making the masks for painting. This came about after the finicky-ness of painting on previous designs. I'll post more photos when the prints arrive, and when I finish the carriages of course! I'm planning on putting this up on Shapeways for sale soon. 

Cheers, 

Alan

PS: check out my previous models here; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109915-3d-printed-trains-victorian-vlocity-sydney-waratah-sncf-tgv-edited/

Edited by bluemattersoda
  • Like 3

Oooh, do I see bevel gears?

Yep, the axles connect via bevel gears to a drive shaft which is then connected to the first universal joint over the centre point of each bogie, with another universal joint at the motor to compensate for the second shaft's angle. The second shaft is a spring for tolerance. I'll see if it works!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

To keep everyone updated, I have received the first batch of prints from Shapeways. I'll be uploading photos over the next few days. The HDA shells are looking great! The bad news is the test print has revealed some major issues with the design of the gear system, and this will need some re-designing.

On another note, has anyone been experiencing problems with Shapeways quality control lately? They've sent me the 2x body shells as per my model, but seem to have deleted one and duplicated the other without realising they are slightly different! I've reached out to get a reprint...but I've had to get reprints the last few times I've ordered with them due to them misreading/misinterpreting models (which shouldn't even be a problem considering that there's not interpretative work on their end). Shapeways US does the manufacturing for Australia, and they seem to be a bit slack on the QA front. I have to say I've never had issues when they were sending me stuff from the Netherlands...  

Hi everyone, here's an update with photos as promised - Bombardier SBB CFF FFS RABDE 502 Twindexx in N Scale / Spur N / Echelle N

160924_Twindexx_N_no%20paint_01_zpsjuo64 160924_Twindexx_N_no%20paint_02_zpsivwv2

160924_Twindexx_N_no%20paint_04_zps2pe8e

I have to say I'm very impressed with the details in Shapeway's High Definition Acrylate - highly recommended by me for models. As you can see the details are crisp and angles sharp, plus it's cheaper than FUD and doesn't require cleaning. I've discovered that putting HDA into hot water to straighten out bowing can cause the plastic to become too soft. so be careful using that method.  

160924_Twindexx_N_no%20paint_07_zpsdiske 160924_Twindexx_N_no%20paint_06_zpsdngrq

On the left is the glazing in transparent detail. I may reconsider cos they're somewhat finicky to install into the body shell, and are quite pricey (AUD$10 each carriage). On the right is a new thing I'm trying - optional paint masks to help paint some of the finer colours accents, especially on SBB's livery for this train. 

160924_Twindexx_N_no%20paint_05_zps6fhce

The motorised bogies need more work. Even though I've left the required clearance for moving parts, they were really stiff and caused parts to break when I tried to free them. Not shown are the universal joints which broke off. Good news is that the gears are meshing properly. 

Stay tuned for more! 

Edited by bluemattersoda
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, 

I've been very busy at the moment, so I've only now just finalised the revision to the original design as suggested by Ben A. Here's the revised cab - turns out the biggest problem was with the window and light positions. The shape of the nose has been slightly changed. I've also revised the motorised bogies (not shown),

170311%20-%20Revised%20Model%20-%2001_zp

170311%20-%20Revised%20Model%20-%2005_zp

170311%20-%20Revised%20Model%20-%2003_zp

170311_Cab-Orbit_zpst3vyxns6.gif

To save costs I've reduced the need for a WSF chassis - see the Second Class trailer carriage below. The downside is that there are no interior details - no seats, etc. I figured at N scale you can get away with this. First Class trailers have been completed as well. 

170311%20-%20Revised%20Model%20Carriage%

Anyhow, please let me know what you think. I hope to do another test print soon and will post photos when that's done. 

Alan

• Like 5

To save costs I've reduced the need for a WSF chassis - see the Second Class trailer carriage below. The downside is that there are no interior details - no seats, etc. I figured at N scale you can get away with this. First Class trailers have been completed as well. 

Anyhow, please let me know what you think. I hope to do another test print soon and will post photos when that's done. 

Alan

Alan, That is very impressive. Back in the 1990s I made some attempts at Belgian couchette cars with a variety of different arrangements from complete photo-printed sides to added livery elements. The first three have no interior detail just blackened windows. In service you would not notice, especially as they run predominantly at night.;-)

sncb_c10.jpg

Edited by mikeharvey22
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Alan, That is very impressive. Back in the 1990s I made some attempts at Belgian couchette cars with a variety of different arrangements from complete photo-printed sides to added livery elements. The first three have no interior detail just blackened windows. In service you would not notice, especially as they run predominantly at night.;-)

Thanks Mike. I think I'll make the black detail plastic available for the windows. That said it should be OK that you don't see any seats through the transparent plastic.  I've placed the order for the test print so will know soon!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time for a quick update! Again, I must apologise for the long time between updates. This will be a quick update again - hoping to have a more substantial update with painted model to show soon.

Anyway, did a quick trial fitting of my 3D printed gears. Good and bad - it seems I get very close to getting it work, only to have something jam it all up.

Here was the revised chassis model

170502%20-%20Chassis_Labelled_zpsikszuma

To summarise:

1. Flexible Motor Shaft (WSF) - got the right balance between strength and flexibility so that it can help the universal joint turn (printed in WSF)
  2. Universal Joint (FUD) - FINALLY got this to work! Though I will need to up the size of the connected gear wheel. 
  3. Wheel gears and Bogie Drive Shaft (FUD) - these mesh well and appear to turn correctly.

The problem now is the WSF bogie frame. Seems that the fit is too tight to allow the gears to turn smoothly. I suspect this to be a scale tolerance issue - I've encountered this before in  Shapeways WSF which may be smaller or bigger than what you design. This means everything is jamming up. The FUD parts are also very fragile - don't know how long they will last. 

I'm considering now if I should abandon this whole idea of making my own gears, and following the tried and true path of modifying a store bought chassis. While I'm close to making it work, it is always just beyond reach. Assembling the pieces is also very finicky, and in cost it works out about the same as buying a Tomytec chassis and modifying it. I'll give this some more thought. 

Until the next update!

• Like 3

For Gears I think HDA might be worth a shot. If all else fails go to pre made metal ones as is traditional.

I wouldn't try 3D printed metal gears as the tolerances vary too much.

Edited by Knuckles

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, long time no post. Here's the updated print. I've decided to use decals for the livery rather than paint. I'm still making the decals at the moment, and the white undercoat isn't as good as I hoped. ....

That ain't 'alf bad.

How's the bevel drivetrain coming along?

• 4 months later...

That ain't 'alf bad.

How's the bevel drivetrain coming along?

Thanks, and sorry for the loooong delay replying! I've sort of given up on the drive train idea...unfortunately at N scale the gears and 3D printing them is too finnicky and fragile. I've gone back on relying on Tomytec chassis. HO scale on the other hand my be more suited!

Hi all, it definitely has been a long time since I updated this thread. The first RABE 502 started passenger service spurred me to finish painting the test prints, so here they are! Soon to be available on Shapeways.

I've also started an Instagram account @platformtrains since the last I updated - feel free to check it out!

Thanks for viewing,

Alan

25738536377_4675495d33_c.jpg

26737395978_b6c7bf328a_c.jpg

26737392578_ece1b3c345_c.jpg

25738538347_104c0aea78_c.jpg

40609127351_ef9dfc02cf_c.jpg

• Like 3