• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here we go finally...

Just spent the last hour trying to work out how to get images onto RM Web that fits onto one page.

Now I know!

The picture below was taken on the night of a significant birthday for my nearest and dearest, which was back in 2013.

However, after much deliberation (about two years worth), I decided I wasn't quite happy with the plan and decided to start again.

My twenty year project was back to year one, but that is how it goes.

From this photo, the turntable is gone, all of raised bits are gone and obviously all of the track work is gone.

Fortunately for me, I could reuse all of baseboards you can see.

For the next stage for Radford, I reduced the height of the board on the bottom left of the picture.

Therefore, the whole bottom part of the layout is a circuit with train storage for 5 trains on the RHS and 3 trains on the LHS with two circuits.

The part on the LHS middle heads to one of the reverse loops for the new layout.

I will post a photo soon and discuss the master plan!

post-11285-0-01326900-1474381767.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Had Alan P of this part of the world visit yesterday. We enjoyed the delights of adding DCC chips to loco's with varying results.

I have decided on standardising on ESU chips or trying to for my loco's. The first one I used didn't work and made a humming noise.

Then I went to the old standard being a TCS chip and there were no issues.

I also successfully demonstrated "Decoder Pro" for changing loco numbers. Interestingly, I tried to demonstrate adding inertia effects to loco's and it didn't seem to work.

It might have been an operator error, but we will see.

Alan, has decided to use Tortoise point motors. I sold him a few spare that I procured and plugged in my homemade Tortoise tester.

So far, so good. Then I saw smoke and reached to turn off the power supply. I manage to fry two BOD20 occupancy detectors of 5 that were in a row.

Interestingly, they were the older ones I had.

The power used was from my 12volt power supply that normally powers the other BODs quite successfully.

I have now got a separate transformer for powering the Tortoise tester which I tested with no issues.

I am also building a Tortoise tester for Alan which I will have finished today.

Today I will CharlesR visit. Hopefully he will be able to assist with my only sound equipped loco a D16/3. This loco fell from the layout to the floor a few weeks ago, rest assured the sound wasn't working before the fall. The loco still runs beautifully but has had a few bits drop off the loco.

Hi Followers (all 4 of you),

A couple of weeks ago I ordered several items from Poppy's WoodTech including the Measuring Stick, Ballasting Box, Loco Builder's Box Medium 6-coupled and the Loco Cab Floor.

I have built the Ballasting Box and Loco Builder's Box and will use them sometime in the future. The great thing was the efficiency of the owner in getting back to me with an invoice and seamless payment instructions. CharlesR from this parish has mentioned having to call the UK and give them his credit card to purchase model railway items. I'm glad to see Poppy's WoodTech is in this century.

The reason for purchasing the Loco's builders box was to develop some skills in loco building. I think building a chassis and kit will give me skills in fixing loco's and modifying them as I might choose.

As an aside, I purchased a Hornby B17 model years ago. Operationally it isn't as good as I would like. I thought having a look at the motor which is mounted in the tender would be a good start. You wouldn't believe it, the previous owner used super glue to bind the tender to the chassis. What can I say!

• 8 months later...

The First control Panel and a move to the dark side and the short term plan

Hi Everyone,

Time to use this thread to record what is going on with Radford.

Previously I have built control panels with A3 sheets of white perspex as the surface.

This didn't work due to the size of the box created and trying to mount it on the side of the layout.

After using the 99% thinking 1% doing mantra, I decided to use A4 MDF as a surface.

Instead of painting the MDF, I purchased some white A4 PVC laser print label and used this as the surface, then drilling holes for the LED's and switches built an A4 size frame for it.

It is working beautifully.

The final phase is to add LED's for the Block Occupancy and it is done.

I will include a photo when the Block Occupancy LED's are mounted.

What is the move to the darkside you might be saying.

I have previously bought a Bachmann DMU which has caused me some minor grief. When you mount the DCC decoder the way the wires can go is visible from outside of the unit. Which I found visually offensive.

This hobby has an element of having a go. Therefore I bought a Black Beetle power bogie to replace the current power unit and improve the look of the loco. This will be a long term project, as I have no idea how this will all fit together and have the lights work as originally designed.

The second part of my move to the darkside involves buying a Class 31. Being a fan of the Borchester layout and setting the layout supposedly in the East Anglia part of the world, the Class 31 was the only diesel I was interested in (except for the DMU) and I was looking for a while and then I found one and it even has sound.

This arrived yesterday from the UK. In my excitement I put it on my layout and it will be a challenge.

It seems my trackwork isn't as good as I thought. Every other loco I have (all steam based, except for the DMU and a visiting Class 37) go around beautifully. This beast didn't and it seems the bogies are being fouled by the fuel tank which fell off. It looked like it was superglued back on.

Apart from that no issues.

This loco has the number D5511. I intend renaming it as D5501 or D5502 to fit into the timeframe for my layout. These loco's were built at the end of 1957, which is the limit of my layout which is around 1950 to 1957.

The short term plan

The next thing to complete is the Control Panel (and take photos), while fiddling with the Class 31 and getting prepared for the 01st of July. On this date I will be holding a NSW Sydney area BRMA Meeting on renumbering loco's. This will be facilitated by St Enodoc of this parish.

• Like 1

Dear All,

Attached is the first control panel for Radford.

To explain what it all means.

The numbers indicate the point number.

The arrows the up / down lines.

The LED's next to the numbers are green and indicate with no misunderstanding which way the point is set.

The LED's on the far LHS indicate track occupancy.

This whole area  of the layout is hidden, therefore the track occupancy will be useful.

The whole bottom level of the layout is a circle with a reverse loop included. I will post the plan when I get a chance.

Regards

Rodney

post-11285-0-05102500-1498393520.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dear All,

Attached is the first control panel for Radford.

To explain what it all means.

The numbers indicate the point number.

The arrows the up / down lines.

The LED's next to the numbers are green and indicate with no misunderstanding which way the point is set.

The LED's on the far LHS indicate track occupancy.

This whole area  of the layout is hidden, therefore the track occupancy will be useful.

The whole bottom level of the layout is a circle with a reverse loop included. I will post the plan when I get a chance.

Regards

Rodney

attachicon.gifControl Panel 1.JPG

Look forward to a play on Saturday!

I think I need an exorcism expert for one of my engines.

A while back one of my engines that I will call Guillemot for the purposes of this conversation, set alight.

It was on the turntable and a short circuit fried the DCC and hence the chip was on fire. The body near the chimney was ruined.

After much searching I found a replacement.

It had a challenge. When sitting in a block on the layout, it didn't draw any current and couldn't be seen in the block.

After replacing the decoder, it was running sweetly. Then stopped working. I can feel the motor pulsing but it doesn't move.

That will be a challenge for tomorrow.

Today the BRMA had a meeting convened by St Enodoc on changing the numbers on your loco's at my place. A range of ways to change the numbers was discussed and applied.

All up 9 people turned up for the meeting and I thought it went quite well. Changing the numbers on stock is not hard, you just have to have a go.

Radford was on display and behaved well. Thank you to Charles for all of the help.

The next skills meeting should be on DIY loco exorcisms!

Edited by RodneyV

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks,

I haven't posted anything on this website for a few years. So a new decade and new opportunities to contribute.

What has happened in 2019 for Radford.

Actually, quite a lot of thinking and some doing.

I'll upload a plan with the current vision soon.

The most recent work on the layout has been the combining of the control panels. I had one and half built and thought operationally they weren't as good as they can be.

Therefore, I may have had 6 control panels when the layout was complete, which for a layout in a single garage was crazy.

The new plan, is to have one for the bottom part of the layout which is storage sidings.

Another will be the newly planned storage sidings, which is essentially all of the bits that aren't stations.

The final two will be the two stations. One is a through station and the other a Terminus.

The through station will be built first. However, I need to finetune the track plan. I will discuss this when I get closer to starting it.

The last two weeks, I have spent tidying up. The amount of mess I have created has been destroying my model railway mojo.

Tonight at 11 after watching the Thunder win the cricket, I feel my mind is free from the clutter.

The attached pictures are my attempt at building a rack to hold all of my tools.

I used it operationally tonight and it worked well.

I hope everyone has had a great 2019 and I will see you in 2020.

Rodney

20191231_Tool_Stand_As_Built.JPG

20191231_Tool_Stand_With_Tools.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, RodneyV said:

Hi Folks,

I haven't posted anything on this website for a few years. So a new decade and new opportunities to contribute.

What has happened in 2019 for Radford.

Actually, quite a lot of thinking and some doing.

I'll upload a plan with the current vision soon.

The most recent work on the layout has been the combining of the control panels. I had one and half built and thought operationally they weren't as good as they can be.

Therefore, I may have had 6 control panels when the layout was complete, which for a layout in a single garage was crazy.

The new plan, is to have one for the bottom part of the layout which is storage sidings.

Another will be the newly planned storage sidings, which is essentially all of the bits that aren't stations.

The final two will be the two stations. One is a through station and the other a Terminus.

The through station will be built first. However, I need to finetune the track plan. I will discuss this when I get closer to starting it.

The last two weeks, I have spent tidying up. The amount of mess I have created has been destroying my model railway mojo.

Tonight at 11 after watching the Thunder win the cricket, I feel my mind is free from the clutter.

The attached pictures are my attempt at building a rack to hold all of my tools.

I used it operationally tonight and it worked well.

I hope everyone has had a great 2019 and I will see you in 2020.

Rodney

20191231_Tool_Stand_As_Built.JPG

20191231_Tool_Stand_With_Tools.JPG

Very good Rod. Happy New Year to you all and see  you in a couple of weeks.

You know you need to get a wriggle on with your layout when it is 2020 and the layout is about 10% finished.

Below is the control panel I have been working on. This is for the bottom part of the layout which will be the staging yards. I'm not sure if this is the correct British expression, but I'm sure I will find out. I don't believe it is a fiddle yard as none of the stock is to be handled when in this place.

The control panel is about 80% complete. The bottom right hand corner is the last part requiring work to complete.

I used to have red switches, but I believe they should be black. Red is for signals.

Nearly all of the track is laid except for the reversing loop which is called Track 15. That will be tricky as the space for the loop is currently occupied by a car.

Where it says Track 1 to 14 that is the block occupancy LED's. I need these as this part of the layout will be unseen.

All of the other other LED's and whole numbers are the turnout DCC numbers.

1340526914_20190701-BottomControlPanel.JPG.8d45953324515b96e48ce99e34ad61f3.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, RodneyV said:

You know you need to get a wriggle on with your layout when it is 2020 and the layout is about 10% finished.

Below is the control panel I have been working on. This is for the bottom part of the layout which will be the staging yards. I'm not sure if this is the correct British expression, but I'm sure I will find out. I don't believe it is a fiddle yard as none of the stock is to be handled when in this place.

The control panel is about 80% complete. The bottom right hand corner is the last part requiring work to complete.

I used to have red switches, but I believe they should be black. Red is for signals.

Nearly all of the track is laid except for the reversing loop which is called Track 15. That will be tricky as the space for the loop is currently occupied by a car.

Where it says Track 1 to 14 that is the block occupancy LED's. I need these as this part of the layout will be unseen.

All of the other other LED's and whole numbers are the turnout DCC numbers.

1340526914_20190701-BottomControlPanel.JPG.8d45953324515b96e48ce99e34ad61f3.JPG

Coming on nicely.

Who stole Track 9? Or is that the one marked Right-Middle-Left (as distinct from Left-Middle-Right...)?

Hi St Enodoc,

Thank you. It is coming along. Hopefully tonight will be the completion of the bottom RHS of the control panel.

Yes, the mysterious Track 9 is the one marked Right Middle Left.

As you may be aware, I have been successful in making easy things more challenging than they need to be.

Track 9 is for Railroad and Co for speed profiling of locomotives / stock.

The characteristics of each engine are recorded by the system, so they will stop at a specific point on the layout.

That is the theory anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I'm happy to say, I have achieved something. After 4 attempts, I have a control panel that I am happy with (the first of 3 or 4).

The next stages are making sure it all communicates with Railroad & Co, then connecting tracks 7 and 8 to the rest of the world.

The most tricky one will be building Track 15 which is a reversing loop. The space required will take up some of the space occupied by my wifes car. So it will be detachable and will have to fold up.

As I have some much "stuff" (wood offcuts) sitting where it will go, I will to use some of it or dispose of the rest of it.

Regards

Rodney

1345290212_20200127-CP2.JPG.12ca66dead64db512f85a8699baf0b11.JPG

• Like 3

Just to finish off, you wouldn't believe it, I have had my first Tortoise failure. It still works, however the internal switching doesn't.

I will refer to the article in MRJ to work out how to fix it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, RodneyV said:

Just to finish off, you wouldn't believe it, I have had my first Tortoise failure. It still works, however the internal switching doesn't.

Change it for a Cobalt...

3 hours ago, RodneyV said:

Hi Rodney. Tortoise motors are pretty well bullet proof and I'm sure it will be something simple. If it helps, this is what is inside....

There's just five screws to take it apart. From memory, one in each corner and one in the centre. They are all under the manufacturer label, so they know if you have taken it apart.

DSC_1035.jpg.eb3098d08796ee80e18bced4860f89b8.jpg

DSC_1039.jpg.1bb35d4b3a480f724ae72cdc6fbc546e.jpg

Let me know if you need more info.

Edited by gordon s
Incorrect info on screw positions
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think Jen should get a smaller car...

Hi St Enodoc,

Jen would agree with that, but we will have to wait until the kids finish school (11 terms to go) and more importantly I get a job.

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Change it for a Cobalt...

Hi St Enodoc,

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking the same thing.

I was unfortunate enough to buy the first generation of Cobalts in 2012 which were awful.

Since then I have been a bit nervous about their products.

I'm sure based on your experience the quality has improved immeasurably since then.

• Like 1

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your response.

I will have a look tomorrow Sydney time and see what I find.

You are certainly right about them being bullet proof. I bought my first ones in 1998 and they are still working, except for one.

Thanks again,

Regards

Rodney

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, RodneyV said:

Hi St Enodoc,

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking the same thing.

I was unfortunate enough to buy the first generation of Cobalts in 2012 which were awful.

Since then I have been a bit nervous about their products.

I'm sure based on your experience the quality has improved immeasurably since then.

Indeed it has, as you know. The key is the "iP" in the model name. These were re-engineered completely compared with the originals, which were not at all reliable. As you also know, you can get the iP models in both analogue and digital versions (although I understand that they've been out of stock for a few months).

Dear All,

It has been a good day as far as progress with the layout is concerned.

I have 4 more turnouts to add to Railroad and Co, which should take about 2 hours, which is some soldering and then connecting the wiring to the NCE Auxillary Input Unit (AIU)  device. Fortunately, I planned ahead and left quite a few spare contacts so I wouldn't have to install any more AIU's.

The actual adding the turnouts to the software is quite easy. The tricky bit for me is to get the sftware to point the same way as the turnout.

I have one issue however, for the Block Occupany Detector (BOD) for the section in the photograph below, I am showing something being detected by RR & Co, but there is nothing there. I suspect that is a BOD hardware or wiring issue, but I will see.

I also took apart the Tortoise per the advice of Gordon. Everything looked fine inside, but one set of Auxilliary contacts still don't work.

Maybe another look might be prudent. Last night I read the MRJ guide to fixing the issue. That involved adding a switch to the outside.

I did have another look at the DCC Concepts Cobalts. I might buy some when I have some more Tortoise failures. At present, I have all of the bottom section of the layout completed for motors. They other 2 levels of the layout will be using two other alternative turnout operating technologies. I will share these when I get a bit closer to installing them.

20200127 - 8 - Cropped.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 2