Platform Lights with station name

I refer to those station lights that look vaguely like fish poachers except of course they are mostly semi-transparent light fitting with an opaque "lid" on the upper surface and with the station name printed on the illuminated part.

I know Hatfield had these in the 60's affixed in two ways - either with the fitting suspended from two points under the platform canopy or with the fitting on a pole located along the centre line of the platform.

I would have thought these were widespread across the network.

The question is, who makes a model of these for 00? I have googled forth and found almost nothing. It looks like the Knightwing B1 kit is close enough although of course the station name would be a tedious self-addition in any event.

I don't need the lights to work but would consider options that do. However goggle seems to reveal no other options. It's such a common item relevant to a frequently modelled period in time. Does no-one make these?

Thanks

Hi kallaroonian

I've found a few options on the lights that you mentioned, hopefully they are the correct ones

Below is the layouts4u version, code 616 and they are sold in packs of 4 for £10

post-29328-0-39475100-1471445073.jpeg

Also there is the express models version, code EX/63641 but as far as I know they are priced at £14 per light.

post-29328-0-91845600-1471445201.jpeg

Also if you have a printer and computer you can go on to word and design your own station nameboard.

I refer to those station lights that look vaguely like fish poachers except of course they are mostly semi-transparent light fitting with an opaque "lid" on the upper surface and with the station name printed on the illuminated part.

I know Hatfield had these in the 60's affixed in two ways - either with the fitting suspended from two points under the platform canopy or with the fitting on a pole located along the centre line of the platform.

I would have thought these were widespread across the network.

The question is, who makes a model of these for 00? I have googled forth and found almost nothing. It looks like the Knightwing B1 kit is close enough although of course the station name would be a tedious self-addition in any event.

I don't need the lights to work but would consider options that do. However goggle seems to reveal no other options. It's such a common item relevant to a frequently modelled period in time. Does no-one make these?

Thanks

I think this is what you mean? http://I think this is what you mean? http://www.walkdenstation.org.uk/images/platformWithTrain1980s.jpg

They were definitely used on the Colchester-Clacton line where I grew up in the 70's/80's & I seem to remember them being pretty standard.

I saw some on a layout once & when I asked about them, I found that the creator had designed & 3D printed them.

I have also looked for them on sale in shows but never seen anything which looks close. When I have tried to describe them it seems like very few remember them.

3D printing should create the option of lighting them. If you can print them in a translucent material then surely you could light them from below & paint all but the lit area itself?

Thanks for the info everybody.

Further to your post Pete the attached is what I'm talking about - both platform mounted and canopy hung examples :

post-1342-0-39710600-1471576801_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-38025500-1471576803.jpg

post-1342-0-20744200-1471576804.jpg

The P&D Marsh option is perfect for the platform mounted type - I'm not that bothered whether it's lit. They could also tediously be modified to remove the post in order to realise canopy hung types.

Unless anyone knows of canopy hung types directly available? 

The layouts4u option is also pretty good and not significantly more expensive. I'm not clear how lettering could be added - it would need to be a transfer-type decal to work (in either case really) and I don't know how you would print that yourself?

thks

• RMweb Premium

Can't add much to the offerings for these lights but I can confirm they were very widespread across the network.  They didn't seem to be region-specific at all as all regions had some though not by any means at every station.  They seemed to be provided at larger stations where lighting wasn't suspended from an overall roof.

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember that the lettering on them was coloured according to region. The LM ones were maroon. The one above for Hatfield in post 6 looks blue. Trevor

Regional colours - correct.  Dark blue for Eastern Region though some I believe were in North Eastern Region tangerine.  Maroon for the London Midland, a lighter blue for Scotland, brown for the Western and green for the Southern.  Many faded; others appeared almost black after a few years in the weather.  

Some North London suburban stations on the ECML had a slight variation to the more widespread platform lamps. Whether these were an earlier incarnation I'm not sure, but they were not as simple in design.

A couple can be seen in this photo of the general clutter associated with electrification at Finsbury Park in Sep 1976.

post-4474-0-54871000-1471593529_thumb.jpg

Fox transfers do number plates and letters/(numbers) for bus models. I'm only interested in black plates so haven't looked for more modern ones, but they might do black ones? Also Railtec will do custom plates.

Another alternative is to print on PHOTO card, then peel off the top layer and stick that on. Ordinary paper doesn't give the same effect, and transfer paper is relatively expensive, it takes a lot of transfers to fill a sheet?

Stewart

Can't add much to the offerings for these lights but I can confirm they were very widespread across the network.  They didn't seem to be region-specific at all as all regions had some though not by any means at every station.  They seemed to be provided at larger stations where lighting wasn't suspended from an overall roof.

When the OP described them, the first thought that crossed my mind was the opening sequence of 'Get Carter' (the proper one, not the Stallone remake)- when Michael Caine's train pulls into Newcastle, these lights are very much in evidence on the platforms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhisIT_CuQ8

Archived