Noisy Bachmann Pannier

GWR8700

I own a Bachmann GWR Pannier 8700 and it runs forward fine in one direction but in reverse it's a bit louder and sounds a bit grindy.  I took it apart and added a tiny bit of oil but it was the same when I put the body back on.  When I ran the locomotive without the body on top there wasn't much noise at all which is strange.  I have a Bachmann Compound which has a slightly similar issue but to a far lesser extent and I will probably just leave it be.

Has anyone here had any similar experiences and if so how did they sort it?

It may be resonance between the mechanism and the body, it used to happen a lot with Hornby in the past.

the cure is to damp the vibrations by packing any spare space with bluetack blobs that make contact with the body and chassis. Plasticine used to be used, but is a bit smelly, The siting of the blobs is up to you, use a bit of thought, do not get it near gears etc.

Some times just adding it to the body only will work, it just breaks up the vibrations.

Stiff grease on the gears may help as well, it might be bad gears that are behind the basic problem.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Bachmann GWR Pannier 8700 and it runs forward fine in one direction but in reverse it's a bit louder and sounds a bit grindy.  I took it apart and added a tiny bit of oil but it was the same when I put the body back on.  When I ran the locomotive without the body on top there wasn't much noise at all which is strange.  I have a Bachmann Compound which has a slightly similar issue but to a far lesser extent and I will probably just leave it be.

Has anyone here had any similar experiences and if so how did they sort it?

I

Edited by 71000

Check that the screws holding the motor /worm wheel cradle into the chassis block have not been over tightened and caused the plastic bosses to split. This has happened on one of mine and caused the motor assembly to slide back and forth - the worm wheel grinding it's way into the boss of the next gear down in the process, you can guess that it was a rather noisy runner! 

I haven't had any problems with my Pannier, but I used to have an unusually bad example of the notoriously noisy Hornby J94. It now runs smoothly and quietly after I stripped it down and lubricated not just the worm and cogs, but the worm spindle as well and anything else likely to move. I also slightly [very slightly] slackened off the two securing straps holding the motor to the chassis.

I'm prepared to be told that this sort of behaviour is a hissing and an anathema, but it worked. :butcher:

Likewise with the current Bachmann pannier mechanism, (and that in the very closely related 3F Jinty) never had a noisy one in a dozen or so specimens of my own and through my hands for decoder fits. Ensuring all wipers are positively making wheelback contact and giving the centre axle a little more sprung travel to optimise pick up is all the adjustment any have required.

Relating to the Hornby J94, no hissing or anathematising from here: the rather floppy plastic components which hold the motor are often slightly distorted by flash or by assembly; a little adjustment to make sure the motor shaft is perpendicular to the worm wheel shaft, and that the worm gear meshes sweetly, can transform a grauncher into a quiet operator at all sensible speeds. (It will whine when allowed the scale 100mph-ish it is capable of, but we none of us do that, do we?)

• 2 years later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

A quiet 'thank you' for raising this issue.

Our only problematic Bachmann was our bargain Jinty that screached and grumbled as it trundled around Child Okeford.

Off with the body (hidden screws) and a careful blob of LaBelle Sticky oil to the drive train, back on with the body and step well back.

It is now silent, smooth with the merest hint of a wonky wheel, otherwise perfection.

Cheers

Jack

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

R.ecently cured the same problem on a Hornby Pannier 0-6-0...tried a few things but finally sorted it by backing off the single screw that secures the body to chassis so that it wasn`t hard up to the weight that it threads into.Remarkable how much noise this was generating !