Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you back Richard and thanks for kind comments

More hydraulics? Just wait until those Bacchy 43s start arriving....

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Any progress with your backscenes? Havent managed to get up Whittington tump yet, but have a couple of trips up to Worcester lined up

Kind regards as always

Phil

Took some panoramas from both Cleeve Hill and Bredon Hill. Cleeve Hill was probably a bit too far away. Had a look at Whittington Tump, which I decided was too close and too far North, Worseter is supposed to be a blend of Gloucester and Worcester!  Hopefully the shots I took from Bredon should do the trick. I hope so, as getting to Cleeve and Bredon Hills on the push bike then climbing them with all my gear on the hottest days of the year was a bit like hard work!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Took some panoramas from both Cleeve Hill and Bredon Hill. Cleeve Hill was probably a bit too far away. Had a look at Whittington Tump, which I decided was too close and too far North, Worseter is supposed to be a blend of Gloucester and Worcester!  Hopefully the shots I took from Bredon should do the trick. I hope so, as getting to Cleeve and Bredon Hills on the push bike then climbing them with all my gear on the hottest days of the year was a bit like hard work!

That's a fair old bash John but worth it for the views flora and fauna

Yes of course can see what you mean about the Whittington aspect - will go and have a look at that myself in a couple of weeks time, need to call on a friend in Worcester and then off to DRS OPen Day in Carlisle with my old Worcester school chums

Give me a bell next time you are over for a pint if that suits

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks again folks - for all the supportive words re the flooding, which is still awaiting re-assessment, and also for the appreciative comments on the video

The latter is a significant investment in time - not only setting up the layout for the weekend but also four hours offilming which got edited down to the 15 minutes or so you have seen. So where to go from here?

The working signals performed excellently over the weekend so lets get the others finished....

Telegraph poles and trees took a lot of hits over the weekend, replacement programme needed.

And as ever theres motive power....

The Bachmann 43 fleet is eagerly awaited, better finish off some other projects before they get here, see other threads for thoughts on them...

D6320 had its sound chip robbed, need to replace that now it has a new PC board fitted and behaves sensibly....

Then theres the Brush 4 fleet....

D1666 and D1725 have existed as Tubbyduffs for a while - you wont have seen them in videos as we were not happy with them. So they are being replaced....

D1666 is easy - just a straight renumbering of a Bacchy Thor, correct boiler port and Serck grilles already fitted

D1725 was so wrong as it was - wrong boiler port, Serck grilles and I had even renumbered it with the wrong font numbers!!! A Bacchy 47148 has the correct boiler port and the original 3 piece fixed rad grilles so that's on the bench too - as is D1830, another Bcchy Thor job, Serck grilles are again correct but boiler port needs plating over on this NB as built loco - have the parts from Mr Hanson to do that, Thanks Brian! - and Steve at Railtec has done me number sets for these 3 locos so should be a quick job for all 3 once the original shells have numbers etc removed - wheres that Model strip?

That just leaves D1584 on the list, need a Bacchy D1764 for Spanner boiler and Serck grilles for that one...

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So heres the progress

D1666 has initial weathering, other two are at satin varnish stage

post-7138-0-51652800-1435950434_thumb.jpg

Transfers are Railtec later font number sets and data panels, and Fox Early font and arrows

Heres the boiler port differences

post-7138-0-37670000-1435950465_thumb.jpg

L to R that's Clayton (D1666), Spanner (D1725) and blanked off - 1830 was No Boiler from new, that's an Extreme Etchings blanking plate over a Clayton port

And of course theres the Extreme Etchings works plates

post-7138-0-82157400-1435950927.jpgpost-7138-0-42405400-1435950937.jpg

Crewe for 1666, Brush for 1725 and 1830. Looks like someone has chiselled some digits off that Crewe plate! Awesome jobs there from Mr Hanson....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 15

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Layout damage assessment yesterday....

Now everything is thoroughly dry initial assessment is that the track bed is no worse than it ever was....

So leaving it alone pending next complete set up so its on with other jobs.

Baseboard reinforcement, 6 years of ups and downs is taking its toll on the biggest scenic board with the bridge on so additional internal bracing added

Started redoing the road, following Andy Y's method in latest BRM, foam looks good, just needs painting and verges relaying

And solving problem with the rail overbridge railings which keep popping off due to expansion/contraction...so mounting on tiny split pins mounted in holes on bridge girders

Phil

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Also meant to say - heard some folks at Toddington Diesel Gala were looking for us, sorry we were not there this year!

Next year perhaps if the organisers are kind enough to have us back again!

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Paul37 still on list to lower....Hope all is good with youPhil

Looking forward to it Phil, it looked as if 6811 had been lowered on your latest vid. All good up north to, an more track building tonight :)

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found this thread, a model of somewhere very near where I live.

I will have to see it soon, but the bank south towards Wadborough I have always thought was very scenic. (I go past it after visiting the garden centre near there,)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Martin

Yes that next section down to Pirton is nice - unfortunately no room on the layout to progress in that direction!

Where abouts do you live? I used to be in Ombersley so a 12 mile cycle ride to get out to Abbotswood...

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Martin

Yes that next section down to Pirton is nice - unfortunately no room on the layout to progress in that direction!

Where abouts do you live? I used to be in Ombersley so a 12 mile cycle ride to get out to Abbotswood...

Phil

Warndon Villages

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Warndon Villages

Ah not quite so far then!

Getting in to swing of preparing for Great electric Train Show after 2 weeks hols

Sprightly is in shops at the moment - see Bachmann class 43 thread .... and have put coupling loops on that plus 4 other locos today - 1666/1725/1830 plus 163, 7000/843/844 still to do so should be some nice new power on show.

Other jobs to do -

Finish off MK1 end of rake coaches now I have some Comet eteched end plates to hand thanks to Wizard Models

Set layout up for pre show shakedown

Finish servicing locos

Service all stock including checking working tail lamps - must order more from Express Models

And then theres the signals....

Phil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Layout up in garden this evening - fastest ever, 1hr 15 mins from starting to first train running and all spot on.....

Looking good for Great Electric Train Show - and North British Warships 843/4/5 out on test tomorrow, may even have to do a video.....

Phil

• Like 5