Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

Guest bri.s

Awesome video as normal

Love the layout and trains

(Just a shame it's not set in southyorkshire)

Lol only joking excellent stuff as always

Brian

P.s hope there's no lasting damage due to the heat

Edited by bri.s

• RMweb Gold

We are at GWR Diesel Gala at Toddington this weekend - in the diesel depot

Seems appropriate

RMwebbers please come and say hello - should be a relaxed weekend compared to a conventional show

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

At Toddington I was approached by a gentleman - from the railway I think  - who asked me if I was interested in a sound chip

I couldn't deal with it at the time so asked if he was happy to leave it with me - which he did

However I didn't get time to test it till the end of the day - it was finr, very happy to buy it for the price we agreed

Only problem is I haven't seen him again and have no contact details!

If this is you - or you know who it is - please get in touch and I will sort this out

Many thanks

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That's very kind - thanks Lee

Just looked at your workbench - great to see you have tackled 08888, as D4118 that was the first 350 allocated to my home town depot in Worcester, used to see her a lot in the late 60s

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

You've seen they layout - now heres the real thing.

Albeit a few years later - didn't have a decent camera until 1976 when my parents brought me a Rollei B35 for my 21st birthday. The box and semaphores went in 1969 unfortunately.

So firstly we have a very interesting southbound working with a Class 45, a down train between the down goods loop and the overbridge.

post-7138-0-28720900-1376333204_thumb.jpg

Hang on a mo - why has the loco got a hazchem label on the front? Must be something pretty nasty in those tankers, can anyone advise?

That photo corresponds to phase 1 as currently built, heres one from phase 2 at Norton Junction

post-7138-0-41721200-1376332509_thumb.jpg

31265 has been out to Honeybourne tip, the driver and guard are obviously intent on crossing over to the down line from the singled Evesham line (this is a western train on a GW line!) as they return to Worcester.

More to come, both at this location and elsewhere in Worcestershire - will put those on a separate thread.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

My first instinct with the Hazchem train is Anhydrous Ammonia as used in fertilizer production (which the '2PE' code would work for) - but I can't see anything that matches on Paul Bartlett's site, nor can I think where the train would be running from/to....  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

Yes I went there too - search for Fisons ammonia tanks and you will find some swb jobbies at Avonmouth so could be on the right track....

Phil

I reckon it would either be heading for Avonmouth or it's going to turn right at Gloucester in which case Baglan Bay might be a likely destination. 

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I thought "Fisons fertilizers" was a reasonable guess for the wording on the 1st tank, so I reckon that's a 'viable hypothesis' ;) Didn't realise Fisons were at Avonmouth, thought that was ICI...

btw, Phil - I should say I've not commented here before, really do love the videos showing how it's run as per the real thing - lots of variety & the sound does make a lot of difference! Any plans to show in SW England ("beyond Taunton")?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

Many thanks for kind comments

Provisional bookings next year are Redditch, Butterley and Trainwest - but happy to come further down the M5 if invited

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The next instalment

You knew it wouldn't be long before a whizzo came along

So heres 1023 on a north bound rail tour, only 69 miles to Derby! 

post-7138-0-38252400-1376414435_thumb.jpg

And up at Norton Junction, 25038 is keeping the officers warm looking at the escaping steam.

post-7138-0-72427400-1376414529_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't have thought a 25 with a working boiler was that common in the Midlands by this stage. That looks like a Midland pattern saloon unless I am mistaken - a nice working to replicate when the Bachmann equivalent materialises.

Just posting more on the Worcestershire thread too

Phil

• Like 5

Yes, I thought "Fisons fertilizers" was a reasonable guess for the wording on the 1st tank, so I reckon that's a 'viable hypothesis' ;) Didn't realise Fisons were at Avonmouth, thought that was ICI...

btw, Phil - I should say I've not commented here before, really do love the videos showing how it's run as per the real thing - lots of variety & the sound does make a lot of difference! Any plans to show in SW England ("beyond Taunton")?

Fisons were at Avonmouth, next to the Smelter; the tanks were loaded at a set of sidings adjacent to St Andrew's Road station. Very good for clearing your sinuses of a morning..

ICI's plant was just on the Avonmouth side of Severn Beach station.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In starting a new countrywide thread have unearthed a few others I had forgotten

So here we are at Norton Junction again

post-7138-0-52486000-1377800556_thumb.jpg

37098 is about to take the chord to Abbotswood Junction with a nice freight - tube wagon first vehicle. Split box 37s were becoming more common by the late 70s

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Upcoming outings:

85A open day, Worcester 26.10.2013 http://www.miac.org.uk/reunion.htm

And looking ahead to next year:

Redditch 20/21st Sept 2014 http://www.redditch-mrc.com/Redditch%20Show%20-%20layouts.htm

Cheltenham (Bishops Cleeve) Dec 2014 http://www.cheltmodrail.org.uk/preview.php?ExKey2=41

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Upcoming outings:

Redditch 20/21st Sept 2014 http://www.redditch-mrc.com/Redditch%20Show%20-%20layouts.htm

Cheltenham (Bishops Cleeve) Dec 2014 http://www.cheltmodrail.org.uk/preview.php?ExKey2=41

Phil

Upcoming outings:

Phil

Great layout Phil, perhaps the best period for modern traction. Fingers crossed the weather does not cause too many problems for your show. Would love to see the layout in the fleash but being up here in Inverness precludes visits to many shows sadly. By the way is your track EM or OO finescale as its hard to tell in the videos for sure.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Kevin

Shame you are so far away - the advantage of living round here is most places are reasonably accessible - probably even Inverness by flying but not sure Id want to transport the layout that way!

No problems with weather yesterday but blowing up a gale here this morning. How's it with you? Should be another short video on here later with a very momentous event at Abbotswood....! Layout was very well behaved yesterday and the 85A open day is a super event to attend. Have been promised copies of photos of both class 14s and the Blue Pullman at Abbotswood.

Yes period is fantastic - there tends to be an assumption that diesels were all uniform livery but you try finding two exactly the same. Track is Peco code 75 - I'll leave those with more knowledge on the subject than me to comment on the feasibility of converting all our stock to EM - but once the track is ballasted and weathered it does the job for me. A compromise we all live with or adapt to suit...

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Kevin

Shame you are so far away - the advantage of living round here is most places are reasonably accessible - probably even Inverness by flying but not sure Id want to transport the layout that way!

No problems with weather yesterday but blowing up a gale here this morning. How's it with you? Should be another short video on here later with a very momentous event at Abbotswood....! Layout was very well behaved yesterday and the 85A open day is a super event to attend. Have been promised copies of photos of both class 14s and the Blue Pullman at Abbotswood.

Yes period is fantastic - there tends to be an assumption that diesels were all uniform livery but you try finding two exactly the same. Track is Peco code 75 - I'll leave those with more knowledge on the subject than me to comment on the feasibility of converting all our stock to EM - but once the track is ballasted and weathered it does the job for me. A compromise we all live with or adapt to suit...

Kind regards

Phil

T

Thanks Kevin

Kind regards

Phil

Sunshine in the Highlands this morning, dropped my daughter off at Morrisons yesterday and commented to her about how it was all once 60A and that a plaque exists under the vegetation to mark where the turntable once stood in what is now a car park, sadly it does not impress teenagers...

I did cast and eye towards the existing depot though whilst I was there, not a 26, 27 ,20, 40, 37, 47, 06 in sight, just a solitary 08 and a 67.

Like yourself we can recapture our happier memories back to the late 60s and early 70s when there was some variety. Have been dabbling with N gauge but remain doubtful that my eyes will tollerate it much longer. So have been scheming away to build something new based around late 1967 early 1968 along the North London Line with a very large dose of modellers licence to include anything found during those days within 50 miles of London. Yes I am an ex London lad. You can take the boy out of London but not London out of the boy even being up here in the Highlands.

Although I too have thoughts toward EM and having drooled on the 70sEM site many times, the thoughts and costs for converting what will amount to a large fleet of stock eventually is time and money I would rather spend on operating and beer to be honest. Do like your videos and the sound along with the late 60s liveries, great stuff.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And here we are at the 85A open day - thanks to Mike Smith for the photos

Heres Peter Brown helping on the layout - looks like ECoS is taxing me once again....

post-7138-0-26428100-1383766852_thumb.jpg

And an old school chum Andy Lock

post-7138-0-91952600-1383766918_thumb.jpg

Prior to recent Toddington open day hadn't seen Andy for many a year.

The 85A open day is essentially about railway people - we are very much made to feel part of that, which is rather nice even if its on an honorary basis!

Phil

Note to self - must paint walls under far side of road overbridge matt black, camera flash is cruel!

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3