Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rod Stewart - an ambassador for the hobby

Pic of his Rodship at work from his Facebook page -

https://www.facebook.com/rodstewart/photos/a.10151001222743307.449874.59088763306/10154493450863307/?type=3&theater

You do need to join to see it, apparently, but don't be put off by it. Ignore all the trivial chit chat and just follow the myriad interest groups that thrive there. He does seem to have managed to make railway modelling a more socially acceptable pastime by speaking so passionately about it, and good to him for it.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

You don't need to log in to see his page, but Farcebook has their code set up to obscure parts of the page to make it difficult to view if you don't log in. All just aimed at trying to get people to have Farcebook accounts and use them so they can claim their billions of active user accounts.

As for Rod's modelling, yes, it's good to see him willing to show his interest. He seems to have been a bit cagey about it in the past, probably for fear of the labels associated with it.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

As for Rod's modelling, yes, it's good to see him willing to show his interest. He seems to have been a bit cagey about it in the past, probably for fear of the labels associated with it.

Listened to an interview with Rod one afternoon on Radio 2, by some 'lady' standing in for Steve Wright.

As the interview closed she asked him, in a derogatory tone, about his 'trainspotting'

Let's just say Rod went to great pains to educate the ill-informed lady about the differences between 'trainspotting' and 'railway modelling' whilst also 'ripping her a new one' !

Edited by br2975
  • Like 13

I recently watched a rerun of the Alan Yentob TV interview with him at his home in this country. He always comes across very well and his family and even ex wives all seem to be genuinely fond of him.

He, as he usually does, quickly glossed over his railway interest. He just said that when he was a lad, from his bedroom window above his dad's shop in North London, he could see railway marshalling yards and local football pitches, both of which became key interests. He said all that was missing from the view to complete the set was a leggy blonde.

Apparently part of the pre interview filming agreement put the railway room at his British home completely out of bounds. He's, understandably, quite protective of it and his interest.

• Like 3

I recently watched a rerun of the Alan Yentob TV interview with him at his home in this country. He always comes across very well and his family and even ex wives all seem to be genuinely fond of him.

He, as he usually does, quickly glossed over his railway interest. He just said that when he was a lad, from his bedroom window above his dad's shop in North London, he could see railway marshalling yards and local football pitches, both of which became key interests. He said all that was missing from the view to complete the set was a leggy blonde.

Apparently part of the pre interview filming agreement put the railway room at his British home completely out of bounds. He's, understandably, quite protective of it and his interest.

Yes I also watched this for the second time. He has certainly had a life and a half! Having read the railway modelling part of his autobiography in Smiths a while ago I was disappointed that Yentob pretty well ignores it, and only shows a brief bit of a model railway which was a horrendous O gauge toy IIRC.

This weeks Model Rail mentions celebrity modellers, I was aware of Roger Daltrey, but what has he modelled? Is there information about this and Eric Clapton?

Paul

• Like 2

Sx

This weeks Model Rail mentions celebrity modellers, I was aware of Roger Daltrey, but what has he modelled?

I think he's been involved with some of the modelling on Gresley Beat.

I also recall a radio interview with Phil Collins where he mentioned his railway modelling and that having completed an OO layout was going to start one in N Gauge.

G

Edited by grahame

This weeks Model Rail mentions celebrity modellers, I was aware of Roger Daltrey, but what has he modelled? Is there information about this and Eric Clapton?

Paul

Isn't Roger Daltrey one of the main backers of the Model Railway Museum idea in Ashford ??

Sx

I think he's been involved with some of the modelling on Gresley Beat.

I also recall a radio interview with Phil Collins where he mentioned his railway modelling and that having completed an OO layout was going to start one in N Gauge.

G

Phil Collins completed his layout? Blimey Phil what's the secret?

• Like 1

A million miles from my musical taste, but more of a modeller than I will ever be. Respect! (As they say these days, I believe.)

Wasn't that Aretha Franklin?

Hat, coat, gone......

• Like 1

Hi

I know Rod Stewart has modelled Grand Central Station in the 1940's period and that this layout is in his US home.

But I have also read that he has an East Coast Main Line Layout in his UK home, as a big LNER fan I would love to know more about this layout.

The Son of some very good friends of mine is engaged to the Daughter of a member of the original small faces group and I keep asking him next time he meets Rod Stewart ask him about this layout, but understandably no luck so far.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• 3 weeks later...

Here are those lyrics in full...

She used to be an ironhorse

Twenty years ago

Used to bring the mail to me

Through the ice and snow

I've sat alone and watched her

Steaming through the night

Ninety tons of thunder

Lighting up the sky

She was a princess of the night

I saw the writing on the wall

I take a ride across the sky

Speeding, sparks like lightning

Engine working hard

Furnace on the foot plate

Shining in the night

Iron striking metal

The sound of racing steel

It's all I ever want to hear

It's music to my ears

Ninety tons of thunder

Lighting up the sky

Steaming red hot pistons

See the wheels flash by

Hear the whistle blowing

Streaking down the track

If I ever had my way

I'd bring the princess back one day

Copy/pasted from www.metrolyrics.com/princess-of-the-night-lyrics-saxon.html Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

It's not about modelling, but the lyrics of "Princess of the Night" suggest that someone in early 80s metal band Saxon was into steam trains.

Been in the front row once!

Not really my type of music either nor also is Neil Young who was into US tinplate and at one time was associated with Lionel.  Maybe still is!  When you make their kind of income, one can afford to indulge in whatever hobby one chooses at a level most can only imagine.

Brian.

• 2 years later...

Rod Stewart enthusing about his layout tonight on the BBC One Show - "it's not a train set, it's a model railway".

He said he's now finished it and had it filmed professionally for a forthcoming documentary.  And, if I picked him up correctly, he's donating it to charity.

Take a look on the BBC iPlayer.  Sorry, unable to post link.

Edited to delete incorrect information, having viewed it again on iPlayer

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Like 3