Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rod Stewart - an ambassador for the hobby

Money doesn't help much if what you're into is time consuming. In the last article about his US layout that I read, is said that what he was into above all else is structure building (and he had a very impressive looking city scene going on).

I guess a (presumably) wealthy musician's lifestyle has a bit more leisure time than many of us, though.

• Like 1

Watched the one show last night, I normally hide down in my modelling room when it's on, but Rod Stewart caught my eye.

Me to missus: "Hey Rod Stewart's on! he has a model railway you know!"

Missus:" Really." (in bored why don't you go down to the cellar and leave me to watch telly tone of voice)

I sit down to watch the programme, much to the missus's disgust.

Rod mentions he's finished his model railway and intends to make a film about it.

Me to missus, "See I told you so!"

Missus gives me a "Ye gods" look of bored disinterest and I creep off down to my railway room.

I should learn to know my place. :locomotive:

Seriously though I'd like to see that film if Rod gets it made. His U-tube building looks seriously impressive.

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 3

I have a letter from Rod, framed , on my study wall beside me as I write this. He thanked me for some 'kind words' I wrote about his railway modelling back in the December 2007 Model Rail. The gist of what I wrote was that it was a shame that his layout had to be featured in a US magazine because, at that time, he'd have risked ridicule if he'd declared a railway interest, in his home country. His modelling still hasn't been featured in a British magazine, due in large part to his main layout being US-outline and the British magazine market being so centred on British-outline modelling. It was always a disappointment that I never got to use a 'Downtown Train'-derived cover-line on Model Rail but when I saw the awful mickey-taking stunt that BBC's 'The One Show' pulled when he revealed that he was a railway modeller, I realised that he was quite right to keep his hobby interest to where it is treated as a fascinating creative hobby and not a schoolboy joke. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 14

When a world famous rock star and night of the realm mentions he's a railway modeller on the One Show and defends the hobby, "it's not a trainset it's a model railway". Then say's he's going to make a documentary about it, I believe it can only be good for the hobby. To get you're latest album, film or book "plugged" on the one show is something most musicians, film makers and book writers would die for.

If Rod's plugging the hobby good on him, it makes the hobby look mainstream and something to be proud of.

When he gets his documentary of his layout made and published even the better, he's already got it plugged on the One Show.  Who knows maybe he'll be back to plug it again when he's had it made.

Well done Rod say I.

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 7

Although I only like the music Rodders made with and before the 'Faces', I've always had a great respect for him, he's a down to earth guy who works hard, and enjoys nothing more than entertaining people, and is good at it, although the voice is not as good as it used to be, he lives for putting on a show. I just hope this new project is successful, and makes people take notice. :sungum:

• Like 4

I've always had a great respect for him, he's a down to earth guy who works hard, and enjoys nothing more than entertaining people, and is good at it, although the voice is not as good as it used to be, he lives for putting on a show.

I saw him on Graham Norton's show last week.  He gave a solid performance, and then at the end asked "Was that all right?"  Would have been partly tongue in cheek but that's all part of his character.

A great guy!

I only like a couple of his records but that's my taste, one of the things I like most about him is his wit, from when he said (something like) "next time, I'm just going to find a woman I don't like and give her a house"! That's my kind of witty.

What a talent for modelling though, I loved the issue of "Model Railroader" with him featured and also liked this quote "I pity a man who doesn't have a hobby" again, something like that.

I also pity the fools who always try and put this hobby down but then dress up like their sporting heroes. Double standards?

John.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think the general non-modelling population would be amazed to find out just how many of us railway modellers there really are, and certainly how many people in high profile positions are also intot he hobby. Add to that non-railway modellers such as military, boats, planes, cars, war-gamers, fantasy/sci-fi and of course professional modellers in architecture, tv and film. For some reason, its only railway modelling that seems to pick up the snipes and butt end of the jokes. I suppose its the same for train spotters and plane spotters. Never hear jibes about people spotting planes do we!

Rod Stewart is an ambassader for the country and the hobby, and is proud to be British and a railway modeller. Other famous people have mentioned their hobby, but in relative isolation and not in the way that Rod has and to do it on the One Show, almost the same week that the Channel 5 programme is due to be broadcast is all good for the hobby. Lets hope other famous/high profile modellers take his lead and promote the hobby, especially younger ones. Excellent role models for the young generation is just what we need. 

I have always liked his music, his attitude, his professionalism, and the fact he is also a top notch, highly skilled railway modeller is icing on the cake! Just a shame he models US railroads! Still, no-one is perfect!! 

• Like 1

I think the general non-modelling population would be amazed to find out just how many of us railway modellers there really are, and certainly how many people in high profile positions are also intot he hobby. Add to that non-railway modellers such as military, boats, planes, cars, war-gamers, fantasy/sci-fi and of course professional modellers in architecture, tv and film. For some reason, its only railway modelling that seems to pick up the snipes and butt end of the jokes. I suppose its the same for train spotters and plane spotters. Never hear jibes about people spotting planes do we!

Are you sure about that?

Don't you remember when the plane spotters were arrested in Greece the general conscientious with the general public was they were all somehow retarded* and shouldn't be allowed out without supervision. Then the same group were arrested in Dubai where they were then under threat of the death penalty. They were getting very little sympathy from the media.

*I'm using the term that was used in the press at the time.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure about that?

Don't you remember when the plane spotters were arrested in Greece the general conscientious with the general public was they were all somehow retarded* and shouldn't be allowed out without supervision. Then the same group were arrested in Dubai where they were then under threat of the death penalty. They were getting very little sympathy from the media.

*I'm using the term that was used in the press at the time.

Jason

They weren’t the same group.

However both groups had turned up spotting at highly sensitive military and civil installations. Within the aviation enthusiast community these security issues were well known and publicised. So neither group were the sharpest tools in the box, and their arrests only came as a surprise to themselves, no one else. Hardly surprising the subsequent lack of sympathy vote.

• RMweb Gold

Not well-known like RS, but also a celeb in his own field of motor sport, American Sam Posey models the obscure Colorado Midland, and actually wrote a book about our hobby and the people in it. Entitled Playing with Trains, it is subtitled A Passion Beyond Scale.

Sam’s credentials as a celeb start with his racing career, where he drove for top US teams, e.g. coming third at Le Mans in 1971, in the best-placed Ferrari. Having hung up his driving boots he became a race commentator on major US networks, but was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 1995, which increasingly limited his broadcasting activities, but didn’t prevent him writing the book, published in 2004.

Real people, with exciting and rewarding careers, find our hobby fascinating, intriguing, satisfying. But don’t expect a laughs-at-all-costs meejah to want to know that.

• Like 11

Thinly veiled ridicule aimed at the average British man partaking in a harmless past-time is "safe" ground for an increasingly lazy media who, on the one hand have to deliver copy to benefit advertising executives that in turn need to flog stuff to a baying pack of infotainment hungry fed-up with their own lives idiots, and (you still with me...cor!) a flaming torch at-the-ready social media neo-liberal elite that'll pounce on misconstrued "attacks" on minorities with a vengeance.

Remember the teaching of Bill and Ted, you doofuses, and party on! C6T.

I'm guessing this was "tongue in cheek"?

Rod also models British outline too!

Yes, Rod models British outline too - at least he did around 20 years ago. A friend of mine ran a model railway shop in Essex and Rod's representative often called by to collect his (usually large) order!

(It was Rickatrack in Southend on Sea - sadly the shop has now gone).

• Like 1

Yes, Rod models British outline too - at least he did around 20 years ago. A friend of mine ran a model railway shop in Essex and Rod's representative often called by to collect his (usually large) order!

I remember Rickatrack, used to get some bargains in there, shame it's gone.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

friend of mine ran a model railway shop in Essex and Rod's representative often called by to collect his (usually large) order!

I did hear that he built a model of part of the ECML at his Epping home a few years, maybe decades ago, if there was any truth in it, or was a rumour, I don't know.

I remember Rickatrack, used to get some bargains in there, shame it's gone.

Steve.

Yes, very sadly Richard passed away also his son Gary.  Both RIP.

Richard was discreet about Rod Stewart being a customer - fair play to him.  I used to occasionally assist in the shop and at exhibitions.  That's how I knew Rod purchased things, although i don't think he ever visited the shop personally.

• 1 year later...