Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rod Stewart - an ambassador for the hobby

• RMweb Premium

Both the Mail and the Mirror are claiming exclusives, both of which are rip offs of this months Railway Modeller magazine

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Both the Mail and the Mirror are claiming exclusives, both of which are rip offs of this months Railway Modeller magazine

But I think it's great that it is featured in the national daily press;  a real boost for our wonderful hobby.  Well done Sir Rod.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

Steve Flint has just been interviewed on Radio 4 "You and Yours" about his alleged scoop for the December edition. As we all know Rod has been "out" for years and has had the layout photographed in American model mags years ago, as well as discussing the hobby in his biography.

Steve did manage to also mention Jules Holland, Phil Collins and Roger Daltrey as also being modellers.

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Steve Flint, Editor of the Railway Modeller, has just been interviewed on You and Yours on radio 4 about Sir Rod and his layout.  Quite a reasonable interview on the whole I thought, without the usual condescending tone that’s often evident in some parts of the media.  

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Steve Flint, Editor of the Railway Modeller, has just been interviewed on You and Yours on radio 4 about Sir Rod and his layout.  Quite a reasonable interview on the whole I thought, without the usual condescending tone that’s often evident in some parts of the media.  

But in this case, it's about 'rich men and their toys'. The media love that sort of thing and wouldn't dare be condescending to someone who has featured in the music industry for many decades and with a knighthood!

Not the same thing as Mr. Smith who has taken photos at his local station for years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

But in this case, it's about 'rich men and their toys'. The media love that sort of thing and wouldn't dare be condescending to someone who has featured in the music industry for many decades and with a knighthood!

That might be your interpretation.  It wasn't mine based on the broadcast piece that I listened to.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

Steve Flint has just been interviewed on Radio 4 "You and Yours" about his alleged scoop for the December edition. As we all know Rod has been "out" for years and has had the layout photographed in American model mags years ago, as well as discussing the hobby in his biography.

Steve did manage to also mention Jules Holland, Phil Collins and Roger Daltrey as also being modellers.

Paul

We are well served by all of them with Pete Waterman being another notable railway modeller... (Tom Hanks too?)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomJ said:

As a teenager I was a massive indie music fan and Steve Lamacq’s show was essential listening. So I can’t explain how cool it felt to hear him talking about his model railway. You can like Blur and trains!!

Without starting the celebrity modeller thing again is damon alban an enthusiast? He did that Africa Express thing some time back I was the driver for a couple of days 

29 minutes ago, PMP said:

I don’t think there’s any railway connection for XTC, except they came from Swindon.

They had an album called 'The Big Express', with a cover of a driving wheel and the group in GWR uniforms with Lode Star on the inner sleeve. It also includes a song called 'Train Running Low On Soul Coal':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Express

Isn't there also some connection with Pendon?

Getting back to Sir Rod. Not quite what I was expecting. I was thinking it would be more along the lines of "I'm a railway modeller" and finding it was more of a large train set rather than a proper model railway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

:good:

Jason

22 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

........Getting back to Sir Rod. Not quite what I was expecting. I was thinking it would be more along the lines of "I'm a railway modeller" and finding it was more of a large train set rather than a proper model railway.....

What's a 'proper model railway' if it's not a 'train set' (large or small) ? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

15 minutes ago, steve W said:

What's a 'proper model railway' if it's not a 'train set' (large or small) ? 

That's a proper model railway. Some modelling has occurred.

Stuff that comes out of boxes and is plonked on a board is usually a train set. Probably the reason he seemed a bit peed off when given a train set on The One Show....

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TomJ said:

Steve Lamacq mentioned using online forums. Do you think any are on here? And what’s their username???

As I think I replied when this topic came up on another thread, it's best not to know any such famous persons' usernames here, if they are here, because it would be very distracting for us as modellers, them as modellers, and the forum as a whole. Best they stay anonymouse.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12