Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rod Stewart - an ambassador for the hobby

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Isn't there also some connection with Pendon?

Jason

Only via the 'This is Pop' documentary. The band figures were 3D printed by Modelu and Pendon used with the trains being an idea from Charlie Thomas the producer, as a metaphor for the 'journey' the band had been on through their careers.  

http://xtcbumperbookoffunforboysandgirls.blogspot.com/2018/01/showtime-xtc-documentary-charlie-thomas.html?m=1

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, caradoc said:

As well as their name, Big Big Train have songs entitled Permanent Way and East Coast Racer (and recorded a video at Eastleigh Works), so someone there has interest in and knowledge of railways. 

The album was called English electric full power withe the badge off an EE power controller 

• Agree 1

Most impressive.  But how does one play with such a large and complicated layout?  You can't really go into the train room, switch on and run trains on a whim.  Its so complicated, how do you manage with derailments or a dodgy engine?   Such a layout of this size and complexity is a bit daunting let alone paying for it all in the first place.  The current tinplate layout is adequate for my enjoyment.:biggrin_mini:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, russ p said:

Without starting the celebrity modeller thing again is damon alban an enthusiast? He did that Africa Express thing some time back I was the driver for a couple of days 

I'm sure I saw a photo posted on a forum of him on a Tube line platform, after travelling on a diesel excursion in East Anglia.  As well as the album cover, one of Blur's first gigs was at Chappel Good Shed, which they recreated a few years back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

You can listen to the Jeremy Vine interviews on the BBC iplayer.  The model railway segment starts at about thirty four minutes into the programme.

Really enjoyed listening to Rod and Jools chatting about their layouts, all very spontaneous and natural. And the two Steves came across very well. It would be great if Jeremy now starts a layout! 

25 minutes of national coverage, along with Channel 5's GMRT, what's not to love? I'm sure it's got a lot more people interested now. Brilliant.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Also the Yorkshire heavy rock band, Saxon

they have a song called,   Princess of the night.

"Engine working hard, furness on the footplate ,shining in the night, Iron striking metal

the sound of racing steel, its all i ever want ear, its music to my ears.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, brianusa said:

... It's so complicated, how do you manage with derailments or a dodgy engine?   Such a layout of this size and complexity is a bit daunting...

If intended to give a satisfactory operational performance, it needs a lot of attention to reliability: which means adopting or developing proven standards for all the essential factors, and not deviating in the slightest degree.

14 hours ago, brianusa said:

...  It's so complicated, how do you manage with derailments or a dodgy engine?   Such a layout of this size and complexity is a bit daunting...

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

If intended to give a satisfactory operational performance, it needs a lot of attention to reliability: which means adopting or developing proven standards for all the essential factors, and not deviating in the slightest degree.

Firstly, American models tend to run well anyway, allied with properly set up Kadee couplers - you tend to get good running automatically (admittedly, better with diesel outline).

Then, Rod lives somewhere with a decent climate and no doubt can afford air conditioning as well as having his loft well insulated.

Plus it's a permanent layout to boot.

Finally, if he's got digital control, that will help too.

All these things added together will give you pretty decent running.

(I imagine! I've never been to Rod's layout [I wish!] but I have been to another wealthy person's large layout, housed in a dedicated part of the house. This was kept in a lovely clean room, as described and ran beautifully).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, kevinlms said:

But in this case, it's about 'rich men and their toys'. The media love that sort of thing and wouldn't dare be condescending to someone who has featured in the music industry for many decades and with a knighthood!

Not the same thing as Mr. Smith who has taken photos at his local station for years.

As Mr. Smith, I wish to complain! I used to frequent Cardiff Central (General)  platform 5 right through the 1970's  Rod Stewart didn't walk down 'our' end of the platform!

Actually well done to Mr Stewart. No doubt he's got professional modellers working for him, but the perception can only be his, and his alone.  I've seen some solid A1 modelling, but if I had executed the same place, time or location, then that would be different as well. 

Perhaps Rod has assembled the first truly 'international' layout. He's toted his hobby all over the globe. Japan, Europe, USA, South America, Australia to name just a few. Me? I have trouble just getting the bus to Cardiff!

Good luck to Rod.  If he wants to something different, can I suggest a Great Western Aberdare, or a Taff Vale 04?

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Smith. (No, not that one, the other one).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, tomparryharry said:

As Mr. Smith, I wish to complain! I used to frequent Cardiff Central (General)  platform 5 right through the 1970's  Rod Stewart didn't walk down 'our' end of the platform!

Actually well done to Mr Stewart. No doubt he's got professional modellers working for him, but the perception can only be his, and his alone.  I've seen some solid A1 modelling, but if I had executed the same place, time or location, then that would be different as well. 

Perhaps Rod has assembled the first truly 'international' layout. He's toted his hobby all over the globe. Japan, Europe, USA, South America, Australia to name just a few. Me? I have trouble just getting the bus to Cardiff!

Good luck to Rod.  If he wants to something different, can I suggest a Great Western Aberdare, or a Taff Vale 04?

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Smith. (No, not that one, the other one).

Fair enough to!

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

You can listen to the Jeremy Vine interviews on the BBC iplayer.  The model railway segment starts at about thirty four minutes into the programme.

I have just caught up with this on iPlayer. Interesting that Jeremy Vine asked exactly the same questions when he interviewed me six months ago.   The story continues in the Telegraph today:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/like-sir-rod-stewart-have-devoted-years-life-model-railways/

Tim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry,but I always use Jeremy Vine as my 'quick reaction' timer. As soon as I hear his voice on the radio, I change channels. Thanks to Jeremy, I can normally change channels in under a second. On television, it's about 2 seconds, as the TV remote is a bit farther away.

• Agree 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I'm sorry,but I always use Jeremy Vine as my 'quick reaction' timer. As soon as I hear his voice on the radio, I change channels. Thanks to Jeremy, I can normally change channels in under a second. On television, it's about 2 seconds, as the TV remote is a bit farther away.

I have no idea who he is, but I suspect it's best that I remain ignorant!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I have no idea who he is, but I suspect it's best that I remain ignorant!

Oh Kevin, you don't now how lucky you are!  I do envy you for your (in this case) lack of knowledge. Once you've listened to it it can never be undone..... 

On 23/08/2016 at 07:51, Ian J. said:

You don't need to log in to see his page, but Farcebook has their code set up to obscure parts of the page to make it difficult to view if you don't log in. All just aimed at trying to get people to have Farcebook accounts and use them so they can claim their billions of active user accounts.

As for Rod's modelling, yes, it's good to see him willing to show his interest. He seems to have been a bit cagey about it in the past, probably for fear of the labels associated with it.

In America where railway modelling has long been considered a great constructive hobby, Rod has been far more open about his love of modelling and his layout. I first learned about this awesome layout 7 or 8 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Oh Kevin, you don't now how lucky you are!  I do envy you for your (in this case) lack of knowledge. Once you've listened to it it can never be undone..... 

Millions of people disagree with you, judging by world sales and sell out concerts. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Millions of people disagree with you, judging by world sales and sell out concerts. 

Jeremy Vine has millions of world sales, and sell out concerts? Probably the most surprising revelation of the whole thread!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5