Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rod Stewart - an ambassador for the hobby

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Actually well done to Mr Stewart. No doubt he's got professional modellers working for him, but the perception can only be his, and his alone.  I've seen some solid A1 modelling, but if I had executed the same place, time or location, then that would be different as well. 

I remember reading in the articles in Model Railroader that Rod’s forte was building kits, erm, kits of buildings. He was busy putting together sky scrapers at the time, and apparently one of his hotel requests was a big table set up to work on. Had to leave windows open because of the glue fumes. I must find those articles someday and read them again.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 04:13, cravensdmufan said:

Really enjoyed listening to Rod and Jools chatting about their layouts, all very spontaneous and natural. And the two Steves came across very well. It would be great if Jeremy now starts a layout! 

I was struck by Jools' enthusiasm in particular. He was actually more fluent talking about modelling than he appears when interviewing his guests on 'Later...'

The Nim.

• Like 2

On 15/11/2019 at 12:24, Nimbus said:

I was struck by Jools' enthusiasm in particular. He was actually more fluent talking about modelling than he appears when interviewing his guests on 'Later...'

The Nim.

Agree about Jools Holland. Just looked for "later" on i-player and sadly current series doesn't have the excellent titles using his model railway that it used to have.  Bring 'em back, BBC!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've listened to the show on iPlayer this afternoon; great to hear all three contributors talking with such enthusiasm but noteworthy that even they felt they would be "judged" for their hobby, so had often been reluctant to talk about it in the past.  I met a woman in WHSmith this week who was looking to buy the RM, not for her obviously, she said (I said, why not?), so the story has clearly captured the attention of non-enthusiasts.

• 2 weeks later...

Railway modelling is out the closet.

in these days you are not allowed to be critical or “ hate “ anything or anyone for being “ different “.

that has played to our advantage.

If anyone laughs at my toy chuffers in modern times, I’ll punch them in the face with a handful of code 100 and then retire to my safe space for counselling .

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1

On 13/11/2019 at 20:34, brianusa said:

Most impressive.  But how does one play with such a large and complicated layout?  You can't really go into the train room, switch on and run trains on a whim.  Its so complicated, how do you manage with derailments or a dodgy engine?   Such a layout of this size and complexity is a bit daunting let alone paying for it all in the first place.  The current tinplate layout is adequate for my enjoyment.:biggrin_mini:

Brian.

A trackplan was included with one of the Model Railroader  articles. Whilst obviously a vast layout, the trackplan isnt at all complicated. He clearly resisted filling his space with over complicated formations, which only adds to the realism.

• RMweb Premium

I've seen pictures of Sir Rod's US layout over the years in various different publications and would say it's more a cityscape (actually a very large cityscape) with trains, rather, than just a model railway.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• 1 year later...

Rod Stewart was on Loose ends on Radio 4 this evening and confirmed his massive 'layout' was packed into shipping containers and on its way to Britain. As in this article, which appears to be from back in March https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9324803/Rod-Stewart-charters-seven-shipping-containers-bring-model-railway-UK.html

An interesting development. It would appear that he is making his home back in the UK. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 14/11/2021 at 00:09, hmrspaul said:

Rod Stewart was on Loose ends on Radio 4 this evening and confirmed his massive 'layout' was packed into shipping containers and on its way to Britain. As in this article, which appears to be from back in March https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9324803/Rod-Stewart-charters-seven-shipping-containers-bring-model-railway-UK.html

An interesting development. It would appear that he is making his home back in the UK. 

Paul

I thought he already had a home in the UK (as well) complete with a British themed layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mrs D used to  in run a pub in a  'previous life'.

She told me that they were near to finishing one evening and she was just about done with preparing meals in the kitchen when her other half put his head round the door and asked if she could rustle up a late order for food.

She replied with something that appropriately reflected her mood,  then next moment Rod Stewart popped his head round the door and apologised for the inconvenience.  Well he got the food that he wanted.

He was working on a recording project nearby and each evening for the next week, brought his custom there and played darts.

I wonder if he remembers that occasion?  I think that she would like to meet him, I know I would!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AyJay said:

Mrs D used to  in run a pub in a  'previous life'.

She told me that they were near to finishing one evening and she was just about done with preparing meals in the kitchen when her other half put his head round the door and asked if she could rustle up a late order for food.

She replied with something that appropriately reflected her mood,  then next moment Rod Stewart popped his head round the door and apologised for the inconvenience.  Well he got the food that he wanted.

He was working on a recording project nearby and each evening for the next week, brought his custom there and played darts.

I wonder if he remembers that occasion?  I think that she would like to meet him, I know I would!

As I have probably posted before, I had the enormous pleasure of meeting Rod Stewart a few years back. I was working at a major visitor attraction and it was a special event for invited guests only. I worked in the gift shop and just happened to be rota'd that night. There were strict rules for staff not to engage with VIP's, but I couldn't resist. I helped Penny Lancaster and offered to accompany her walking around the (very big) shop offering advice as we walked round. Eventually, Rod Stewart joined us and asked me if I thought a jumper he had picked up was the right size for him. I said it was, but that I would rather talk about his model railway. 

We chatted for a short while, but then I started to get worried. I could see this conversation lasting a long time and I thought it was time to leave - I had got away with it so far, but a manager was watching. Rod saw that I was getting twitchy and asked if I could get in trouble talking to him - I said 'yes'.

He said, " Don't you worry about that, old son. I'll sort that for you if there's any problem'. With that we shock hands and later, as he left, he waved goodbye.

The biggest highlight of my nine years at the Harry Potter Studio Tour.

I sometimes wonder if he tells his friends about the day he met me as often as I tell the story about me meeting him!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2