My Small garden Railway

Bartb

I have posted some pictures of the construction of my Garden Railway, but now I am doing the last bit. It is an End to End layout as I need to keep it near the fencing.

The end of the line. Will post some more pictures when I have done some more.

post-7669-0-59263300-1472038658_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-79571000-1472038675_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Captain Kernow I am modeling in gauge "0" Thought I would do something different in the garden. I have re done the last span and put in a extra support, so it doesn't sag. I am waiting for the last pieces of track and a L/H point to finish it off. Here are 2 pictures of how far I got today. I will be covering the wood with Roofing felt as well, Like I have done the rest of the layout.

Thanks for your interest.

post-7669-0-77920400-1472753815_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-36679300-1472753829_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have 56038, and cover the track in roofing felt when I am not using the railway. Still got lots to do, but now it is cooler I can get out and get on with it.  I have reached the end of the line now, so need to finish off the wiring then have a test run of all the layout.

post-7669-0-84630900-1474357999_thumb.jpg

Just started following this topic as I am starting the build of my O Gauge garden railway. The first part will be built in my 15' X 8' shed which will house an eight track fiddleyard. Track laying and turnout construction in there should be completed through the winter. However, I have felt a little unsure about the external baseboard construction. I used roofing felt and adhesive on top of bitumen impregnated wood boards (not chipboard but a very coarse wood chip) for the roof of the shed about 10 years ago and it is still in perfect condition. Would this type of construction be OK for the baseboards? Like Bartb I intend keeping the external trackwork covered when not in use. I am still worried though about possible contraction and expansion of the boards causing problems. Am I needlessly concerned?

Regards

Les

• Like 1

Parts of my layout has been down for about a year now, and I haven't noticed any

warping of the boards. First I paint the boards with fence paint then cover the top in roofing felt, then lay the track. I cover it all up with roofing felt when not in use. so far I haven't had any problems running trains on it.

Yesterday I had a test day to see if everything was working since I wired up the last bit of the layout. Still need to re-sit a switch in the control box.The only problem I had was 2 sticky points, working on these still. Trains ran alright on all the track.

I timed a train yesterday and on a moderate speed (No wagons) it took 50 seconds from one end to the other. Hoping to carry out more tests today.

post-7669-0-61814500-1474529373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bartb
  • Like 3

Well i managed a quick running session this morning, and all seemed to work o k apart from one wagon causing a de-railment in reverse. It is now in the workshop.

I thought I would show you the complete layout, from end to end. I haven't got a name for it yet, but I still have a few things to do yet.

Picture 1..... is the main end with the control panel underneath.

Picture 2..... is the train going through the shed

Picture 3....  is the train emerging from the shed along the back fence

Picture 4....  is the train going through the trees

Picture 5....  is the train arriving at Gates end.

post-7669-0-40929700-1474636527_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-17151400-1474636555_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-68161800-1474636576_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-73046400-1474636591_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-51240400-1474636617_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I am pleased to say my garden layout survived the storms, tho the garden needs tidying up. Just one new wagon for my railway, a late Christmas present. Be gald when we get some nice weather so I can get out again and get on with playing trains.

post-7669-0-27794100-1488015204_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-36536800-1488015222_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-69783900-1488015232_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow! What a railway! When living with my parents I had OO in the garden. When I finally got a place of my own after university, I was toying with the idea of going into O. It if wasn't for a very close friend of mine deciding to get into 16mm scale I would have probably gone down that route. Even though I now primarily work in 16mm, I still have acquired the odd O gauge kit of industrial tank engines (a couple of Pecketts) so who knows in the future?

Please show us more!

• Like 1

Managed to get out in the garden today for a few hours, and added a new siding. Might make it A loco shed or siding. I will need to get a point motor and wire it in so looks like I will need a bigger control box. anyway it all worked. I added a new feed to the middle and that worked fine. Still working on the bridge.

post-7669-0-35942600-1491420855_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Had to change the bit of track going into the shed as it wasn't running right, all sorted now. Hoping to get a running day soon if the weather stays alright. still thinking about having automatic coupling on my stock, as it will help with the running.

• RMweb Gold

Had to change the bit of track going into the shed as it wasn't running right, all sorted now. Hoping to get a running day soon if the weather stays alright. still thinking about having automatic coupling on my stock, as it will help with the running.

Hmm, I know this is for 16mm scale SM32, but could the idea be roughly the same? 

I guess a couple of servos, receivers and a battery supply or 4.8V supply would be all you would need.