My Small garden Railway

Bartb

• 2 months later...

My railway edging is made of plastic trunking, and has warped in the sun and the high temperature. it is fouling the train and wagons along the edge, so I have had to change it to wood. I bought one piece to see how it goes, and I am pleased with the results. I don't need to do all the railway as most is in the shade or gets little sun. So I will get some more wood and finish it off. post-7669-0-16577400-1499618088_thumb.jpgpost-7669-0-73606900-1499618109.jpgpost-7669-0-34580600-1499618123_thumb.jpgpost-7669-0-02858700-1499618135_thumb.jpg 

• 9 months later...

Managed a run last week but have a problem, the Auto coach I purchased is having problems going around the 4' radius Curve in the shed. so Looks like I can only run goods on my Garden layout. I will have to have a think about this, and maybe consider building another layout with 6' radius curves.

post-7669-0-43254600-1524594095_thumb.jpg

Managed a run last week but have a problem, the Auto coach I purchased is having problems going around the 4' radius Curve in the shed. so Looks like I can only run goods on my Garden layout. I will have to have a think about this, and maybe consider building another layout with 6' radius curves.

Youd probably get away with 5 1/2' curves but ideally 6' is minium. Many locos will go around 4', but anything hitched to them may suffer buffer-lock.

ATVB

CME

• 3 weeks later...

It's been back to the drawing board, and I have made a 6' radius curve from plywood. So will construct a new garden Railway, going around part of my small garden.So here we go Garden Railway MK 2

post-7669-0-21933300-1526454473_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It's been back to the drawing board, and I have made a 6' radius curve from plywood. So will construct a new garden Railway, going around part of my small garden.So here we go Garden Railway MK 2

Looking forward to seeing it progress, if you need you might be able to get down to 5'6" radii in a few places, w/o too many issues.

Managed to do some more Yesterday, tho By the evening I ached. Got the Bridge level with part 2 of the boards, and started putting in the piles for part 2. Hopefully get some more done today.

If all goes well it won't be long before I can try the first train.

post-7669-0-33619800-1526968236_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-73468300-1526968250_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Your Garden looks good enough to me CME, a lot bigger than My garden.  Have you got anything Running yet ?

Hi,

Thanks. Just that it falls in three directions so surveying it and getting boards in has been a challenge.

Ive run locos and small trains back and forth over 60-70' of track laid thus far. Hoping to get bridge, three points and thus a circuit complete along with a couple of locos RC/BTd too, before end of the year 

Managed to do some more Yesterday, tho By the evening I ached. Got the Bridge level with part 2 of the boards, and started putting in the piles for part 2. Hopefully get some more done today.

If all goes well it won't be long before I can try the first train.

Looks great-fantastic progress!

How are you bracing and strengthening the boards?

ATVB

CME

"How are you bracing and strengthening the boards?" CME

I am just laying them across the piles at the moment, I will see how they go as time goes on. If I have any problems I will brace them with some Batons. all boards are painted and covered in Roofing felt.

......You might wish to brace them, prior to track laying/further expenditure/effort. It depends on the timber used, how well the cuts are sealed, how thick the timber is, how close together the uprights are etc etc.

I have been looking at the timber top, and the piles I have put in. I think I need to put more piles in to strengthen it more. Part of the layout will be on a wood and cement bed, so that will keep it straight. Thanks for your advice CME. Haven't had a lot of time to do much over the past few days, but weather permitting I will start on the next part.

I put some track down to try the auto coach out on the curve, went fine backward and Forward. (i am pleased to say) Also My son removed my old concrete path, so now I can start on the other side. Lets hope the weather stays fine for me, so i can get on.

post-7669-0-85662000-1527960281_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-01319500-1527960296_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Managed to get a bit more done today, putting in some more piles and filling in part of the old path. Need to get another sheet of 6' X 4' Ply tomorrow, for the last part. Also needs some more wood for piles. Garden still looks like a building site, but hopefully I will able to tidy it up soon.

another piece of board in, some of the piles i did today. filling in the old path with some turf i took up. When it's all done I will level it off and put some grass seed in.

post-7669-0-11562000-1528051053_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-95930800-1528051065_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-32082400-1528051077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bartb
  • Like 2