LNWR van livery

The subject of wagon grey is a regular discussion amongst several of us who model the LNWR and are also members of the LNWR Society, so any source of information is always welcome.

LNWR Wagons Vol One says:

"From 1850 onwards the bodies of goods wagons and vans were painted a medium lead grey colour. It has sometime been termed 'invisible grey'. a 'lead colour' or even 'light grey' in some references. The grey was mixed from equal parts of black and white pigments, and was slightly darker than LMS grey."

While this is OK as far as it goes, the colour would be different if the pigments were measured by weight or volume. What is certain, though, is that the white lead in the mixture would oxidise over time and the colour get progressively darker between repaints.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I wonder if anyone on here can help me. I've built a D33 in 7mm from an ABS kit and am now applying transfers. As my layout is set in 1923 I've used the full LNWR lettering without the diamonds.  From the LNWR society photos I can't make out where the running number and tare weight go.   This is where I'm at.

20200119_202346.jpg.b9928bc8838c768dabea63a1f3fe95de.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.   It will become part of a transfer freight from Green Ayre up the Castle Branch to Lancaster Castle station. As this is a 1 in 70 incline and many of the appropriate  wagons will be white metal ones, I better have plenty of ballast in the loco body.

Jamie

• Like 1

I've just had a hop through my scanned images.  What a mess of styles!!  On some wagons the only visible identifier is a plate on the solebar, usually but not always, central.  I think the tare info is painted to the left in those cases.  Others have a number painted on the wagon bottom leftish and quite large.  IIRC the LNW painted numbers on van ends too.  Jol!! Help!!

Alan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buhar said:

IIRC the LNW painted numbers on van ends too.

As far as I am led to believe they had the number on the ends of all freight vehicles, as did the Caledonian.  In both cases it was just under the roof on vans.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

ThanksJol and Jim.  I will have to check what small numbers I've got. I'll put the end numbers on and a tare weight on the left hand end of the solebar and try and mock up something for a wagon plate. I've got some other LNWR vehicles to do so will no doubt have more questions as I've no access to the LNWR wagon books over here.

Thanks again.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Jamie, I am not sure but I think the wagon kit you have made is not by A.B.S but by Model and Leisure from Birmingham. The A.B.S kit is a resin one piece body with white metal castings. The axleboxes look a little bit heavy on the kit you have made for them to be A.B.S. 

I have a similar set of axleboxes if you need another four. I also have other axleboxes that I am not going to use if they are of any use to you. I don't know what they are or where they came from. I think one set may be tender axleboxes. I don't want anything for these if you could use any. 

Mike

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2