Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Clive Foxell CBE FREng

The Western Master

It is with great sadness today that I learnt that Clive Foxell, an authority on the Metropolitan Railway who wrote several books on the subject and also a fine N scale modeller, passed away at the end of last month. I am privileged to own a metropolitan railway Pullman coach made by him and it is a fine piece of work. His N gauge layout 'Rickmansworth' was featured in the July 2013 edition of Railway Modeller and his array of underground rolling stock through the ages was all built by his own hand. A truly fine modeller and I regret never being able to meet him in person. If anyone has information on the current whereabouts of the layout I would be interested to know as it was sold at auction earlier this year. Thanks

• 2 months later...

From the  obituary of Clive Foxell, CBE, b 1930 - d  2016,   published  in the Times. Monday 21st November

His fascination with the "Met" and GC joint began in the  formative years of childhood and he wrote a total of nine books on railway matters

A physicist by education, a pioneer of fibre-optic communications technology,  his career included  high office  in British Telecom, including Managing Directorship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Foxell

Archived