APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

Hi All,

I have started work on a POP 1 3d printed model kit, and will post on here progress reports.

Kit will be available for purchase hopefully when I am happy with the model.

My name is Paul Leadley and I setup and run the APT-E Conservation & Support Group which have been slowly restoring APT-E since the year 2000.  Mr Tilt (Kit Spackman) of APT-E and RMweb fame is also involved in the models design, so it should be pretty close to the real thing.  Model is currently 00 but I also plan to do an "N" gauge kit if possible, spy glass at the ready.

Post any questions or ideas and lets see what we end up with.

Long live the APT.

Paul

Last two photos are of a very early prototype running on a friends (Mel Jardines brilliant layout), proof of concept really.

Still lots to do, and improve......

Video is of the early prototypes first ever run :- short but sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYQ3D8hX9f0

post-1299-0-48685500-1472131027_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-20015600-1472131034_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-09424100-1472131041_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-65301200-1472131047_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-69877200-1472131211_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-91069500-1472131307_thumb.jpg

Edited by experimental
  • Like 9

Not really sure about price, as I haven't worked out the costs yet, wheel sets being the most expensive item, but its looking at around £50-£60 (Ball park), I would say.

I will give a more accurate price when the design is complete.

Thanks for your interest.

Paul

Not really sure about price, as I haven't worked out the costs yet, wheel sets being the most expensive item, but its looking at around £50-£60 (Ball park), I would say.

I will give a more accurate price when the design is complete.

Thanks for your interest.

Paul

That is accurate enough thank you, thats a definite order from me then!

And thank you for putting the time and effort into doing these projects.

Does it include a 3d printed Kit (Mr.Tilt) as well

And is it the young or not so young version?

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

Great looking project, and as said a 1:148 version would be great fun for us N gaugers. 

Thanks for finding time - a lot I guess, to create the drawings and see through to the "real thing."

Robert 

Thanks for the support Robert, Mr Tilt mainly works in N gauge so it needs to be done lol.

PC 4 under construction, second draft.

Both cars could do with thinner bulkheads and framework, if it can be printed strong enough, Im working on it.....

Cabins need internal details, tilt pack, HK brake pack, seats and table.

Edited by experimental

Awesome news and will be a must have for my layout. What loco typically pulled them or was it whatever was at hand? 

A host of locos pulled POP train, mainline, class 25,37, 45,50 and class 87001.  On the test track it was the Class 17 Clayton (including smoke and fire most of the time).

PC 4 under construction, second draft.

Both cars could do with thinner bulkheads and framework, if it can be printed strong enough, Im working on it.....

Cabins need internal details, tilt pack, HK brake pack, seats and table.

A quick update, prototype E1/t bogies well on the way now.

I am looking for 10.5 mm wheels, at present I am using Hornby 12.5mm disc wheels which look ok, but not perfect.

Paul

post-1299-0-91191900-1472231169_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-38099900-1472231183_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-88457000-1472231194_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-93251100-1472231215_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-68666000-1472231228_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-28125300-1472231252_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

A quick update, prototype E1/t bogies well on the way now.

I am looking for 10.5 mm wheels, at present I am using Hornby 12.5mm disc wheels which look ok, but not perfect.

Paul

Kadee do a couple of 10.5mm wheels. They do them in two profiles http://kadee.com/htmbord/page532.htm and http://kadee.com/htmbord/page522.htm. I bought a few from DC Kits a couple of years ago, no doubt there'll be other UK stockists as well.

They are listed as 36" but that's 10.5mm in H0 in case anyone thinks that they are 12mm diameter.

(Ponders if I can include a POP on my present-day RVEL/RTC layout......)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Kadee do a couple of 10.5mm wheels. They do them in two profiles http://kadee.com/htmbord/page532.htm and http://kadee.com/htmbord/page522.htm. I bought a few from DC Kits a couple of years ago, no doubt there'll be other UK stockists as well.

They are listed as 36" but that's 10.5mm in H0 in case anyone thinks that they are 12mm diameter.

(Ponders if I can include a POP on my present-day RVEL/RTC layout......)

Cheers,

Mick

Brilliant, thanks Mike for the info, will give them a bash, cheers

May I just say, that looks excellent! 

Superb work by all involved. Finding an excuse to run it on the present day WCML (Hired by Alstom?).

Keep up the good work,

Wild Boar Fell

POP was tested on the WCML, there is the reason you need lol.

Thanks for the kind works.

• Like 1

A host of locos pulled POP train, mainline, class 25,37, 45,50 and class 87001.  On the test track it was the Class 17 Clayton (including smoke and fire most of the time).

You forgot the Class 47 Paul. We used a re-geared 47 on the ECML Peterborough-Newcastle runs, and often on the Test Track too. We used Peaks on the Test Track as well, one of which was involved in the 'January 9th Incident' of course.

Only the 'Young Kit' version would be authentic for use on a POP Train model, that's the one with the Marsha Hunt hair, kipper tie and mega-flares.

7kYpLg.jpg

D1jo2h.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

You forgot the Class 47 Paul. We used a re-geared 47 on the ECML Peterborough-Newcastle runs, and often on the Test Track too. We used Peaks on the Test Track as well, one of which was involved in the 'January 9th Incident' of course.

Only the 'Young Kit' version would be authentic for use on a POP Train model, that's the one with the Marsha Hunt hair, kipper tie and mega-flares.

7kYpLg.jpg

D1jo2h.jpg

That must have been draughty riding in the open like that?

• Like 1