APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

I had little to do with E train when working in the APT project group but I did have a ride on PoP train (note the lower case 'o' as it was usually written this way). What I remember most is the noise level in the unfurnished, all metal cabin. When going over a rail joint it wasn't far off threshold of pain level. The floor was partly metal mesh so that the bogie could be observed in flight as it were and if you had seen the way it leapt around you would have been very wary about getting on a train again.

I think by this time the original swinging arm trailer bogie as shown on the various photos connected with this topic had been replaced by an H3X bogie, the prototype of the BT11 used on APT-P. Perhaps someone could confirm this.

• Like 1

I had little to do with E train when working in the APT project group but I did have a ride on PoP train (note the lower case 'o' as it was usually written this way). What I remember most is the noise level in the unfurnished, all metal cabin. When going over a rail joint it wasn't far off threshold of pain level. The floor was partly metal mesh so that the bogie could be observed in flight as it were and if you had seen the way it leapt around you would have been very wary about getting on a train again.

I think by this time the original swinging arm trailer bogie as shown on the various photos connected with this topic had been replaced by an H3X bogie, the prototype of the BT11 used on APT-P. Perhaps someone could confirm this.

I should know who you are, but I don't.  :D

The SA bogies were originally replaced with E1Ts on the outer ends, and then in all three positions, but POP also had the E1 power bogies in the outer positions at some stage. When it was skinned the outer bogies were H4Xs, the same as the ones fitted to Lab 4 Hastings, and AFAIK those four were the only H4Xs ever made. Later on real live BT11s were fitted. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt

As for payment, was going to issue a queue number, so you only pay when your model kit is ready for posting.  I was thinking of using paypal, something I need to look into further.  Going to put a section of the website (www.apt-e.org) so everyone knows which kit I am currently working on.

Does this mean you have a list somewhere of those interested in buying one? If so, how would I add myself to it please?

Hi All,

Not much progress this week, work gets in the way of better things, but presently working on Prototype 7 both in 00 and N, so keep the faith....................

When the time comes I am going to get interested parties to email me off web, and I will reply with your ticket number, hope that's fare to everyone interested.

Please remember that these are being made to order.

Will post some updates by the weekend.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul.

Hope you are ok and things are going well. Silly question but how do you email off web ?. Still finding my round the RMweb.

Many thanks Darren.

Hi Darren, bit of a typo on that last message, should have said off RMWeb LOL.

My email is paul@apt-e.org

Thanks

Paul

Edited by experimental

Hi All,

A little later than promised, but here is prototype 7 completed,  minus the HK brake pipes which I forgot to fit lol.

The white flecks on some of the photos, are the black PLA catching the light, not a rough finish.

I am pretty happy with it, looks the biz next to E train.

Any feedback welcome.

Regards

Paul

post-1299-0-95046800-1476125979_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-47225400-1476125987_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-56625400-1476125996_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-59329800-1476126011_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-67098000-1476126020_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-63494200-1476126029_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-83528200-1476126039_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-34366100-1476126059_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-93308400-1476126067_thumb.jpg

Edited by experimental
  • Like 5

Craftmanship/Clever doesnt even begin to cover it but its all we have got, that is excellent work, when does production start?  :senile:

Is it time to bombard you with an email or do I have to hold fire?

Hi,

Thank you very , for the kind words, very much appreciated.

If testing goes ok, then will be open for orders sometime next week (fingers crossed).

Thanks

Paul

Paul. That is amassing my Freind. The work that goes in to something like that is incredible, you deserve to be very proud. You take care.

Hi ,

Thanks for the support.

As said previous, if running testing goes ok, might be able to open the pre-order book next week sometime.

Regards

Paul

I was up at Paul's on Sunday night before we went to the NRM for a meeting about the E-Train (the real 1:1 scale E-Train I mean :D ) and I saw his prototype #7 in the plastic while he was assembling it.

It looks even BETTER for real than it does in the pics as you can see it much more clearly, and the new, finer printing process that he's managed to develop makes a huge difference to the look of POP-Train. It's much more 'spidery' than his earlier versions and from close up it looks just like the original one.  :good:  I'm most impressed.

Building the kits will be quite time consuming but will be a lot of fun I'm sure, as there's loads of parts to assemble, many of them looking very similar to each other, so I suggested that we supply a copy of my POP-Train drawing with each kit to act as a reference. So I'M going into production on the drawings before much longer too.  :D

• Like 3

Hi All,

Any people interested in a 00 gauge POP model, please can you email leadleykits@apt-e.org and I will beging building a order list, ready for when production starts, also gives me an idea what I have let myself in for lol.

I will email you with a ticket number, first come , first served .

Price is £68 with delivery.

Please note , no decals are going to be supplied , but all you really need are PC3 and 4 labels which are shown on the drawings being supplied.

Regards

Paul

Edited by experimental

I was up at Paul's on Sunday night before we went to the NRM for a meeting about the E-Train (the real 1:1 scale E-Train I mean :D ) and I saw his prototype #7 in the plastic while he was assembling it.

It looks even BETTER for real than it does in the pics as you can see it much more clearly, and the new, finer printing process that he's managed to develop makes a huge difference to the look of POP-Train. It's much more 'spidery' than his earlier versions and from close up it looks just like the original one.  :good:  I'm most impressed.

Building the kits will be quite time consuming but will be a lot of fun I'm sure, as there's loads of parts to assemble, many of them looking very similar to each other, so I suggested that we supply a copy of my POP-Train drawing with each kit to act as a reference. So I'M going into production on the drawings before much longer too.  :D

Thanks Mr Tilt, great stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Any people interested in a POP model, please can you email leadleykits@apt-e.org and I will beging building a order list, ready for when production starts, also gives me an idea what I have let myself in for lol.

Price is £68 inc vat and delivery.

Please note , no decals are going to be supplied , but all you really need are PC3 and 4 labels which are shown on the drawings being supplied.

Regards

Paul

Totally out of my time zone but will look good parked on Deadman's Lane....  email sent.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could always paint it yellow Mick.........  :D

One day I'll paint something yellow, even though it shouldn't be...........................

(And then put Network Rail stickers on it and sell it on eBay for a huge profit - anyone got a spare APT-E they don't need?)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Hi All,

Any people interested in a POP model, please can you email leadleykits@apt-e.org and I will beging building a order list, ready for when production starts, also gives me an idea what I have let myself in for lol.

Regards

Paul

Paul

have just emailed requesting to be added on the list

Hi All,

Regards

Paul

Paul

I might be interested in 1 & at £68 inc vat and delivery it seems a reasonable price

But (there's always a but) as I live a bit further away than most of your prospective customers (Australia) how will this affect vat & postage

Are bogies & Wheel sets included

Are the axles the fairly common length of 26mm. The reason I ask about the axle length is that Intermountain, a US company has recently started to produce Ball-Bearing wheel sets in 33" (9.5mm) & 36" (10.5mm) in HO

If either of these sizes are close enough to the POP train wheels then I will use these wheels assuming I purchase one of your POP trains

John

Paul

I might be interested in 1 & at £68 inc vat and delivery it seems a reasonable price

But (there's always a but) as I live a bit further away than most of your prospective customers (Australia) how will this affect vat & postage

Are bogies & Wheel sets included

Are the axles the fairly common length of 26mm. The reason I ask about the axle length is that Intermountain, a US company has recently started to produce Ball-Bearing wheel sets in 33" (9.5mm) & 36" (10.5mm) in HO

If either of these sizes are close enough to the POP train wheels then I will use these wheels assuming I purchase one of your POP trains

John

Hi John.

Yes, the model includes the bogies and wheels, and yes they are the normal 26mm, the wheelsets are actually held via a centre support frame so various sizes could be used.

I would have to enquire about the postage costs to Australia, I will get back to you on that as soon as I can.

Regards

Paul

Edited by experimental