APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

• RMweb Gold

Hi John.

Yes, the model includes the bogies and wheels, and yes they are the normal 26mm, the wheelsets are actually held via a centre support frame so various sizes could be used.

I would have to enquire about the postage costs to Australia, I will get back to you on that as soon as I can.

Regards

Paul

Re the 26mm axles.

Does this mean EM/P4 conversion is a simple wheel swap?

Mike.

Re the 26mm axles.

Does this mean EM/P4 conversion is a simple wheel swap?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I'm not an expert, but I would say yes.  The E1/ts of my model are the exact size of the Rapido E train model.

I will post some photos of the under frame when I get home from work, so you can all see what space there is.

Regards

Paul

Edited by experimental

What about the N Gauge version??

Regards

Neal.

Hi Neal,

Its not ready yet, but it will be in due time.

Base, bulkheads and draw gear sorted,  need to work on the frames, as the system I used on the 00 is just simply to small for N gauge, I do however have any idea that should work.

I will keep you posted.

Regards

Paul

Edited by experimental

Are you sending out confirmations as emails are received or are you collating the levels of interest first, I emailed you a couple of days ago?

I am concerned that the email might have failed as I cant access the system at present, my email is mike-b----t@hotmail.co.uk with the rest of my surname in the middle, cheers. 

Are you sending out confirmations as emails are received or are you collating the levels of interest first, I emailed you a couple of days ago?

I am concerned that the email might have failed as I cant access the system at present, my email is mike-b----t@hotmail.co.uk with the rest of my surname in the middle, cheers. 

Hi,

I am collecting a list from the leadleykits email address.  Once sorted, I will email you each a ticket number.

I got your email Mike, don't worry.

Regards

Paul

Hi,

I am collecting a list from the leadleykits email address.  Once sorted, I will email you each a ticket number.

I got your email Mike, don't worry.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the reply, apparently its a server error messing up all the emails.. 

Edited by royaloak

I have just sent an email off to secure one of these superb kits and I am wondering if anyone can advise of the most regularly used traction for hauling the Pop train?

Cheers, Andrew.

Take your pick Andrew, we used almost anything handy at the time.  :D

The first loco Class we used was a 25 to get us to Old Dalby, followed by a Unimog road-rail tractor (Yes, really....) followed bye a Class 17 Clayton. Then came Class 45 or 46 Peaks, and loads of Class 47s. On the WCML tests we used Class 50s, Class 86s, Class 86/1s and Class 87s. The three 86/1s were renumbered 86/2s later on.

You'll need Lab 3 and Lab 10 or 23 at either end as well for total authenticity of course. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

On the WCML tests we used Class 50s, Class 86s, Class 86/1s and Class 87s. The three 86/1s were renumbered 86/2s later on. 

The 86/1s were renumbered from 86/2s when they had their trial class 87 equipment fitted, so it went-

E31xx, 862xx then 861xx.

• Like 1

Take your pick Andrew, we used almost anything handy at the time.  :D

The first loco Class we used was a 25 to get us to Old Dalby, followed by a Unimog road-rail tractor (Yes, really....) followed bye a Class 17 Clayton. Then came Class 45 or 46 Peaks, and loads of Class 47s. On the WCML tests we used Class 50s, Class 86s, Class 86/1s and Class 87s. The three 86/1s were renumbered 86/2s later on.

You'll need Lab 3 and Lab 10 or 23 at either end as well for total authenticity of course. 

Thank you, I have a few of those already but have a little fact finding to do. They should look great alongside the 'E' train. 

Cheers, Andrew.

The 86/1s were renumbered from 86/2s when they had their trial class 87 equipment fitted, so it went-

E31xx, 862xx then 861xx.

Whatever...

When we did the first WCML tests we had 86101 on the front end of the train, and the CM&EE guys with us said it was E3179 'Zebedee' with a new number.

We had 87101 on the front for the second series but that was less than wonderful as it interfered with the instrumentation.

Edited by Mr_Tilt

Whatever...

Well excuse me for having the audacity to correct you, I didnt realise you were above making mistakes!

Oh and Zebedee was E3173, not E3179.

E3173 went on to become 86204 'City of Carlisle'.

E3179 went on to become 86207 'City of Lichfield'.

Edited by royaloak

There's no need to make a federal case out of it, I was just stating what I could remember from way back then.

Was there any need for the 'whatever'?

That is just plain rude!

A simple 'thanks for the correction' would have done but no you have go in with the smart ar-e reply!

Anyway, line drawn, back to the important stuff, POP!!!!!

Hi All,

Back to the model !!

Its been noticed that a couple of minor points need changing, and  as I want the model to be as close as I can get ,  I am currently doing just that, and also adding some pipework.

Not long now people......................................

Regards

Paul

Edited by experimental
  • Like 2

Along with each PoP-Train kit Paul will be supplying two sheets of drawings that I've been working on in conjunction with him.

Sheet 1 is the general assembly of the framework and cabin, together with the location and options for the various ballast weight configurations, as well as the VIP cabin added to PC3 later in the train's life. Sheet 2 details the various brake and compressed air pipes that the train carried at various times in its life, together with a few small details that accumulated aboard the train.

The drawings will be available in either two A3 sheets or four A4 sheets, and I've attached shrunk samples of the A3 sheets below.

TUkRwS.jpg

bkVILQ.jpg

• Like 5

Firstly, Looking mint Paul, Cracking job wish I had the brain power to attempt less than a quarter the quality this is.

Secondly, How easy is it to assemble? I'm no kit builder or kit basher (good news Mr Tilt, watch out for royaloak though :laugh:) used to be great at the Hygena kitchen flatpacks, or you don't fancy doing an RTR version?

Could always collect as I'm always around York at the bootsales.

Anyway, I haven't ordered one (possibly 2) yet, not that I'm holding out, will look great along side E-Train and her bigger sister just got some monsters on order and as some may know nothing to run them on just yet, could even splash out on another vision case to display them in,

• Like 1

Firstly, Looking mint Paul, Cracking job wish I had the brain power to attempt less than a quarter the quality this is.

Secondly, How easy is it to assemble? I'm no kit builder or kit basher (good news Mr Tilt, watch out for royaloak though :laugh:) used to be great at the Hygena kitchen flatpacks, or you don't fancy doing an RTR version?

Could always collect as I'm always around York at the bootsales.

Anyway, I haven't ordered one (possibly 2) yet, not that I'm holding out, will look great along side E-Train and her bigger sister just got some monsters on order and as some may know nothing to run them on just yet, could even splash out on another vision case to display them in,

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words  Funny just over a year ago both me and Kit  thought we would ever see a model of APT-E and POP, now we have both lol.

I have tried to keep the model as easy to build as I can, here is a peek at the type of insturctions (without text as yet) to give you an idea of what needs doing.

Regards

Paul

post-1299-0-99586300-1476734147_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-02165500-1476734156_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-71761800-1476734164_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-72687500-1476734172_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-37281800-1476734194_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-16243700-1476734201_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-24240800-1476734210_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-74051700-1476734219_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-98975100-1476734236_thumb.jpg

post-1299-0-75938100-1476734244_thumb.jpg