APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

Oh wow guys, brilliant to see the finished item, not been on the web for a long time, just no time and not been to well to boot.

Sorry been no news for a while, general life and work really getting in the way.

Getting back on with model production as soon as I can.  If only I could retire and do it full time, far more fun than working.

I am not dead, promise.

Regards

Paul

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

After a long delay, I have finally had the time , and the fitness to get one printer up and running again, so watch this space, gonna be a busy weekend..............

Paul

Hope you and your printer(s) are well and things are POPing off your production line

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

After a long delay, I have finally had the time , and the fitness to get one printer up and running again, so watch this space, gonna be a busy weekend..............

Paul

Hi Paul

this has been a really interesting topic to follow and good luck with your project. I will certainly be keeping an eye out for the kits. I am also interested in just the APT bogies by themselves, as I would like to model RTC Laboratory 1

Ade

Hi Paul

this has been a really interesting topic to follow and good luck with your project. I will certainly be keeping an eye out for the kits. I am also interested in just the APT bogies by themselves, as I would like to model RTC Laboratory 1

Ade

Unfortunately Lab 1 didn't run on APT bogies,despite what it says on Dave Coxon's site.

It was initially fitted with BR1s, and later with B4s, as were most of the R&D Lab coaches, but in its later life Lab 1 ran on LC1 bogies, which were non-tilting H4Xs, as developed on Lab 4 Hastings. While LC1s look like H4Xs, and to an extent like the E1Ts that Paul is supplying with the POP-Train kit, there are significant differences. LC1s have large vertical dampers almost in the centre line of the air spring, and equally large horizontal yaw dampers that run from the top of the inboard wheelset to the coach frame inboard of the airsprings. See this pic on Dave's site. http://www.traintesting.com/images/Lab%20one%20RTC%2012-9-02.jpg

Your big advantage is that very few people know this though............  :D

Hi All,

Paul

Hi, are you still taking orders for this kit?  Looks superb, and although doesn't really fit with my layout, I would love one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sadly after I got my printers working again, my illness flared up again, so not really been doing much, this project is taking longer than the whole APT project itself LOL.

I am at present feeling a bit more with it, so are calibrating a printer so I can print some more parts out while I can.

Sorry for the awful delay, feel pretty bad about letting you good people down.

Regards

Paul

Note: I am going up to see APT-E tomorrow (sat 20th May) so if anyone is interested in seeing POP 1 Proto 7 in the real, and would like a guided tour of the train, please let me know.

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 1

Hi Paul

As one of those that is waiting for your kit, can I say that the most important thing is that you look after your health.  You are not letting us down as I am sure we would all rather know you are getting better and that the kits will arrive at some point.  If you were not making the kits, none of us would have them, so everything you are doing is a bonus.

I hope you feel better soon, best wishes

Roddy

• Like 1

Hi Paul

As one of those that is waiting for your kit, can I say that the most important thing is that you look after your health.  You are not letting us down as I am sure we would all rather know you are getting better and that the kits will arrive at some point.  If you were not making the kits, none of us would have them, so everything you are doing is a bonus.

I hope you feel better soon, best wishes

Roddy

Hi Roddy,

Thank you very much for the kind words, very much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Hi all,

Sadly after I got my printers working again, my illness flared up again, so not really been doing much, this project is taking longer than the whole APT project itself LOL.

I am at present feeling a bit more with it, so are calibrating a printer so I can print some more parts out while I can.

Sorry for the awful delay, feel pretty bad about letting you good people down.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Tried to send you best wishiers on getting better this morning off my phone but looks like it did not go through.!!!!

Your health comes first, and with out you we would not have this available to us. Look after yourself and take care. All the best.

Unfortunately Lab 1 didn't run on APT bogies,despite what it says on Dave Coxon's site.

It was initially fitted with BR1s, and later with B4s, as were most of the R&D Lab coaches, but in its later life Lab 1 ran on LC1 bogies, which were non-tilting H4Xs, as developed on Lab 4 Hastings. While LC1s look like H4Xs, and to an extent like the E1Ts that Paul is supplying with the POP-Train kit, there are significant differences. LC1s have large vertical dampers almost in the centre line of the air spring, and equally large horizontal yaw dampers that run from the top of the inboard wheelset to the coach frame inboard of the airsprings. See this pic on Dave's site. http://www.traintesting.com/images/Lab%20one%20RTC%2012-9-02.jpg

Your big advantage is that very few people know this though............  :D

I bet even fewer could model those bogies...!

Your LC1s look pretty good to me, the big dampers stand out very well.  :good:

I'm pleased you've done it in the Red/Blue scheme, so much more distinctive than the cursed 'Inter City' colours. 

Thanks for sharing that - it looks really good. How did you produce those bogies?

They where Bachmann mk1 bogies with the sides filed down.

I then cut out the side profile from plastic card the made the rest from different shape

Plastic. It took a long time and several try's to get to to look right. I think each bogie and about 50 parts to it.