APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about your medical issues Paul, I hope you make a speedy and full recovery, please take it easy and heed the Doctors advice, we are all thinking of you.

So well put, your health is so more important than a model railway.

I was number 9 on the list and my model was partially printed so would be interested in paying for the bits paul,has printed along with remaining parts

I was number 7, with 65% completed. I have messaged Paul hoping to buy the parts, but haven't heard back. Really don't want Paul to be out of pocket with all of the hard work he put in. 

Jon

I was number 7, with 65% completed. I have messaged Paul hoping to buy the parts, but haven't heard back. Really don't want Paul to be out of pocket with all of the hard work he put in. 

Jon

None of us do, let's give him time to reply and me time to pick up my printer on Friday

A 3D printing guru from a model rail group to which I belong is kindly producing a set of parts for me. He has just started printing and hopes to have them ready for me by the end of next week. I will post piccys and comments once they arrive and I start work.

• Like 1

A 3D printing guru from a model rail group to which I belong is kindly producing a set of parts for me. He has just started printing and hopes to have them ready for me by the end of next week. I will post piccys and comments once they arrive and I start work.[/quote

1st print batch

post-27052-0-85861100-1506761744.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK Good times! I am now the proud owner of 11 bags containing many 3D printed parts which, when assembled in the right way, should give me my POP train. The detail is wonderful, a tribute to Paul's time and effort in producing the 3d files.

I am indebted to Bob Gledhill, author of “Laser Cutting and 3-D Printing for Railway Modellers” who printed off the set of parts for me.

Obviously most parts needed to be printed twice, one for each of the PC units, but some needed more than that and a few are specific to PC3 or PC 4 only. Bob printed the parts using a list that I created by scrutinising the magnificent manual that Paul and Kit produced. As I build the model I will check that I got the numbers correct and will publish the list as an aid to others who may wish to tackle a set of print runs. My initial check revealed one major miscount - you need 3 bogies and I only listed 2!

More report as I start the build proper

• Like 2

My initial check revealed one major miscount - you need 3 bogies and I only listed 2!

Yes, it tends to run a bit rough with only two.  :D

IIRC Paul designed the bogie parts so there's a different Steering Beam assembly for the centre articulated bogie. so make sure you get the right beams in the right places.

I woul like to know if this great project is complete? If so, how much is it and what are the skill requirements?

Great project?

I'll hopefully have the first full set printed today, will be doing things slightly different for future batchs but the basics are there.

Great project?

I'll hopefully have the first full set printed today, will be doing things slightly different for future batchs but the basics are there.

A lot of components, now to verify I've printed the right quantities then test build.

Sadly test build has to wait until Wednesday evening.

post-22973-0-63222600-1508760675_thumb.jpg

• Like 1