APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

Hehehe, that looks SO funny.  :D

It's looks as if we'd dismantled POP-Train and laid all the bits out on the APD Lab floor before welding it all back together again. I never saw it like that as the frames were delivered from Metro-Cammell by road all in one piece of course.

xmrAY7.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

How much for a kit?

I'm not sure yet ed, I'm going to source wheels tomorrow and do a test build of what I've printed then try and calculate the cost of the print. It does take time to do the bits individual;y so I will be doing batch prints of components to hopefully speed it up a bit.

The MOST it will cost is £70 based on what paul was charging but I have a feeling it will be less as I am not charging for my time but any surplus will go to a preservation project I'm involved in.

Shane

Just freewheeling, no need to be motorised as I can buy motor bogies ready made or by converting a 395

POP-Train never used motor bogies, it was always loco-hauled, and by a large variety of motive power ranging from a Class 17 to the thyristor powered 87101.

We did run with the E-Train's E1 bogies for a short while, but that was just for dynamic tests and the traction motors weren't connected to anything.

Not sure there is a need, I aim to start batch printing in next few days.

Hello sir, if you are printing off some of these kits, could I put my mane down for one please. If it helps I can pay some money up front to help with the start up costs, regards Darren

Is there a definitive parts list of many of each item needs printing to make up a complete model

IIRC there was in Paul's original instructions, and there must be some of them out there as some kits were delivered.

If all else fails I'll see if I can get him to email me a copy for permanent reference. 

When I was at Paul's last time he had a .pdf file (I think) of how to assemble the kit, complete with excerpts from his CAD files to show the various parts and assemblies.

That was what I was thinking of, or something similar anyway. 

He also had my original drawings of the train, from which he developed the CAD files. I've still got them on file of  course, but they're not much use without a list of the various parts and assemblies. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt

There is an excellent set of instructions as to how to put together the parts together what I can’t find of how many of each item arc required. I have sent the files to a company who can print so they can give me a quote. I will search through the thread

OK Good times! I am now the proud owner of 11 bags containing many 3D printed parts which, when assembled in the right way, should give me my POP train. The detail is wonderful, a tribute to Paul's time and effort in producing the 3d files.

I am indebted to Bob Gledhill, author of “Laser Cutting and 3-D Printing for Railway Modellers” who printed off the set of parts for me.

Obviously most parts needed to be printed twice, one for each of the PC units, but some needed more than that and a few are specific to PC3 or PC 4 only. Bob printed the parts using a list that I created by scrutinising the magnificent manual that Paul and Kit produced. As I build the model I will check that I got the numbers correct and will publish the list as an aid to others who may wish to tackle a set of print runs. My initial check revealed one major miscount - you need 3 bogies and I only listed 2!

More report as I start the build proper

Any chance you could post the list of parts you produced

Any chance you could post the list of parts you produced

I am checking the list we used as I build my POP. I will publish it once I have validated it but I have found a few errors so I want to check the rest before I go public!

With a lot of work going through the drawings I could probably come up with a parts list if all else fails, but I don't know how Paul finally decided to mould the floors and sides I'm afraid. Certainly I could work out the number of the various bulkheads needed.

Almost ready for airbrushing now then I can fit ballast weights and roof sections after.

One thing I have found is she will need weighing down so I will liquid lead the cabins and bogies.

Cheers

Bob

post-22888-0-66307500-1509956190_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

I've just spoken to Paul on the phone and he's 'back in the land of the living' to quote him directly.  :D

He's tried to respond to the parts list query, but RMWeb won't let him write on here for some reason, but he's working on a proper parts list for the POP-Train kit and either he'll post it when he can get on here, or he'll email it to me and I'll post it. In any case it shouldn't be too long. 

• Like 1