APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

On 26/06/2019 at 14:14, Experimental1967 said:

Hi All,

Been a strange few years, the good news I am healthy, Got married in December to my lovely new wife Debbie.

Plan was to buy a selection of new 3D printers, and get on with making kits and designing new limited edition models, sadly due to new family matters, this has had to be put off again!!!

My web provider also decided to move my email to and external company, thus loosing all my contacts and stored emails (Gee thanks Digital!!!), so if anyone has tried to contact me directly, I will have not received it.

The models that are at 99%, will be completed as soon as time allows.  This project sounded so simple when I started it, life does through many things at you...……….

Sorry to everyone who didn't get their model, but I still plan to complete the kits off and also get on with finishing HSFV1 and the N gauge POP trains.

Best wishes to everyone.

Regards

Paul

Paul.

Thought it had gone quiet regarding the N Gauge POP train?? What with Kit having his heart attack as well, it went very quiet, but glad your both up and running again,

Congratulations on getting married, you fool :P:P:P But remember life comes firat before trains.

Regards

Neal.

Glad to hear your good news, both with your health and getting married. 

I believe I'm kit 19, still interested in having one, still not in a rush where ever its ready, have plenty of other project keeping me busy in the mean time

Steve 

Good to hear you are getting back on track Paul.

Its been a bit of a rollercoaster for you.

I'm kit #12, but not rushing you to have it finished.

Plenty to do on other items like working on detailing APT-e and APT-p for a display cabinet, along with your fine kit.

Regards,

Seán.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve just about finished making my  POP train kit in time for the year end. All that is left to do is add the lettering when I find some the right size and typeface (any suggestions?).

My original plan was to build it when parked up between jobs in my coach, but the kit was far too fine and delicate for that. So I’ve built it at home over the last three months.  I have built a huge number of kits over the years and this must be one of the best; the fit of the parts was exceptional with every bit just slotting into place precisely with no filing or filling needed. It was so nicely packed  too with components grouped in individual bags. An amazing achievement by Paul as this is no mass produced kit designed by a big company with lots of resources, but a kit he designed and printed himself.  So a huge thanks to Paul for producing it and letting me buy one.

F10905F3-F190-4EDD-B3BD-426650E90EA3.jpeg.23f5f667600aabf4fe6bf73ca9993982.jpeg

Obviously its a complex project to build and it did tax my skills.  Indeed I did manage to get one of the bulkheads slightly out of position (only 1mm out) and that caused me a lot of problems.  I assembled it using superglue and found that Squadron and Deluxe Materials fillers would not stick, so had to resort to Milliput - had I got that bulkhead right filler would not have been needed.  Getting the finish right on the aluminium cabins proved a challenge. My first attempts using Humbrol paint just did not look right. Eventually I carefully sanded the cabins, primed them with Alclad grey primer with micro-filler followed by topcoats of Alclad aluminium. I’ve not really got the perfect finish the model deserves, in particular the cabin windows have fogged even though I left plenty of ventilation while the glue set, but I’ve done the best I can.

999D7363-172C-4723-836C-CF4ADD8CF65D.jpeg.90fc7a087e5b23e18a9aa2f5dda1448e.jpeg

The only modification I made was to replace the bogie pivots with brass tube, as this is intended to be a working model. I’ve not fitted couplings yet as this depends on what I build next. I should really make the test cars to go with it, but I’ll need some photos and plans to work from.

So many thanks Paul for producing the POP train, it is a stunning kit and I an very grateful to have obtained one. It is my  ‘model of the year’.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Transfers now added.  They will need some varnish to protect them, but not sure what to use that will not spoil the aluminium paint.

F1A415E0-F25D-4163-9D8D-977E37E9A3B3.jpeg.3119d157473d83f3105941a17d7c44d1.jpeg

Looks like the VIPs have been smoking by the fug on the windows. Yes there are two people inside it.

AB8A444A-0C79-43A7-B491-0ECDA95FC28B.jpeg.8fecd16e18c19e21bb6c1079b268b429.jpeg

I see in the Hornby announcements that they are bringing out some vehicles in RTC livery.  I’m hoping I can use them rather than having to make a couple of coaches to complete the train. I’m sure they will do a much better job of the RTC livery than I could.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Transfers now added.  They will need some varnish to protect them, but not sure what to use that will not spoil the aluminium paint.

Hi Colin,

I use B&Q satin varnish over transfers and then I over finish with either Railmatch matt or satin varnishes to achieve the finish I want. It may well be possible to do the same over all of the aluminium painted parts as I do with just the transfers. The reason is that it is water based it does not disturb the transfer and will likely not disturb the aluminium paint either.

You could test paint a scrap of plasticard to see how it works out.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Gibbo,  I followed your advice using satin varnish.  First I tried a test on one small panel, it looked fine so I did the rest the next day.  It has improved the look significantly, just taken the high shine off the aluminium cabins so they don’t stand out so much.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

A bit of good news for a change,  I have just got one of my printers working again (Well its printing a test cube as I type this) so hopefully will get time to get the last kits completed.

A really big thanks to ColinK, after having flu for the past week and a really rough time at work, it was so pleasing that you have completed your model and given it a wonderful review, so thank you so very very much.

More POP news to come soon, and news on the N gauge version (with a bit of luck).

Hope everyone is well.

Regards

Paul

• Like 2

Hi Mike,

Sadly I have been unable to find them, as my website company moved my email to an external company, and didnt copy any of my old emails over, oh well.

I may have a word document copy on one of my laptops, but I havent had time to look yet.

The first re-built print went ok(ish), but needs a bit more work on its leveling.

Regards

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, apt-e said:

Hi Mike,

Sadly I have been unable to find them, as my website company moved my email to an external company, and didnt copy any of my old emails over, oh well.

I may have a word document copy on one of my laptops, but I havent had time to look yet.

The first re-built print went ok(ish), but needs a bit more work on its leveling.

Regards

Paul

In that case, put me down for one, as and when, no rush, sort it out at your end in your own time.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, apt-e said:

Hi Mike,

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

trying to be helpful (yes, I have a vested interest!) and going back through this thread...

Kits 1-9 were already sent out, including:

- DRM

4 86902

5 Royal Oak

7 Baggie

8 ColinK

9 LongRail

Numbers declared:

11 amwells (me!)

12 RailwayLyons 

14 Roddy Angus

19 Doodaa 

27 Mozzer models

No idea on order number:

Pete the Elaner

EnterprisingWestern

Hope that’s helpful!

Andrew

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

My nice new Anycubic 4Max Pro printer has arrived today, so hopefully along with a nice leveled and functional Geeetech I3 pro, I should be able to start printing kits again very soon.

With Mr Tilts drawing skills, I am going to start work on Lab 4, but also complete the design for the N gauge pop trains and HSFV1.  Lots to be going on with, shame work gets in the way!!!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying life.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 03/03/2020 at 14:11, apt-e said:

Hi all,

My nice new Anycubic 4Max Pro printer has arrived today, so hopefully along with a nice leveled and functional Geeetech I3 pro, I should be able to start printing kits again very soon.

With Mr Tilts drawing skills, I am going to start work on Lab 4, but also complete the design for the N gauge pop trains and HSFV1.  Lots to be going on with, shame work gets in the way!!!

Paul

Paul,

This is great news, however please at least wait until I've finished my N Gauge HSFV1, which I'm bashing out of a Farish VBA chassis :P:P:P

My issue now is how to model the load, also I think the VBA chassis may be a bit short.

Cheers

Neal.

20180506_151337.jpg

20181014_174624.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/03/2020 at 14:11, apt-e said:

Hi all,

Paul

Hi Paul,

While out for a wander this afternoon I spotted HSFV4 so I took a picture for you. Should you want any more I can easily pop (no pun intended) back and take more.

DSCF0975.JPG.4d3980a7a19beb82635402a541b7115a.JPG

Gibbo.