APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

13 hours ago, apt-e said:

Hi all,

I have completed all the latest round of PoP 1 00 gauge orders so if any one wants a model, now is the time to drop me a line.

Thanks to the people who have ordered a model,  more than I ever thought who would be interested.

N gauge pop1 still pressing on with, but also hsfv1, lab4 Hastings and pop2 in 00 and n gauge.

Had a request for 0 gauge bogies for apt-e so also going to make a pop 1 in that scale also.

Anyone interested in that, please drop me a line.

Plenty to go on with.

Stay safe everyone.

Regards

Paul.

Now you're just spoiling us Paul ;);)

Gimme a chance to get hold of an N Gauge POP 1 first before I consider POP 2 :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway I've juts completed my attempt at HSFV1 (I'll pop a piccy up later, not at home at the mo)

Cheers

Neal.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have been trying to find metal n gauge disc wheels for the pop 1 model.   Seems like I have more chance of flying to the moon on a moth.

Has anyone got any ideas, I have tried all the normal routes............. need 5.5mm or up to 6.5mm, I can adjust the ride height to make sure it looks and runs OK.

Regards

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, apt-e said:

Hi all,

I have been trying to find metal n gauge disc wheels for the pop 1 model.   Seems like I have more chance of flying to the moon on a moth.

Has anyone got any ideas, I have tried all the normal routes............. need 5.5mm or up to 6.5mm, I can adjust the ride height to make sure it looks and runs OK.

Regards

Paul.

Hi

Peco market the Parkside Dundas range of wheels but the 6mm diameter ones have three holes in. Personally I don’t think the holes would be visible. The plain disc ones come in either 5.1mm or 7mm.

cheers

paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info, I've seen the holed ones but cannot find anyone with stock. 5mm would be good but again I've had no luck finding stock, its always on order.

I'm going to get this model completed.

Regards

Paul.....

H

32 minutes ago, apt-e said:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info, I've seen the holed ones but cannot find anyone with stock. 5mm would be good but again I've had no luck finding stock, its always on order.

I'm going to get this model completed.

Regards

Paul.....

Hi paul have you looked here

https://dundasmodels.co.uk/webstore/index.php/hikashop-menu-for-module-108/category/511-dundas-models-009-wheels-bearings

Hi all,

Thats everyone for the information and offers.

I have ordered from a few places to see which wheels work best.  Hoping that supply of these doesn't get cut off.

Hope to post n gauge updates next week, got prototype 12 in build, wasn't happy with 11.

Stay safe everyone.

Regards

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Paul,

Prototype 12 in build and now actually mounted on working bogies.

Going to alter the bases, so not as thick.

Made good progress today, see what you think.

Stay safe.

Regards

Paul.

20201115_153910.jpg

20201115_153859.jpg

20201115_153855.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, apt-e said:

Hi All,

New thinner bases done, look a lot better.

More to come........

Regards

Paul.

20201115_164726.jpg

Paul,

Yes much better.

Getting quite excited now seeing the chassis progressing nicely.

Hopefully get on in time for Christmas and give me something to do over the 2 weeks leave I have then.

Cheers

Neal.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 08:35, Calnefoxile said:

Gimme a chance to get hold of an N Gauge POP 1 first before I consider POP 2 :lol::lol::lol:

Just checking here after a long hiatus.

You could build a POP2 model from a POP1 kit Neal, just add some skins over the outside of the frame, which is what we actually did to the real thing of course. :rolleyes:

You'd have to scratch some BT11 and BT12 bogies mind you but they're simpler than E1s or E1Ts.

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

I've sorted the wheel issue out for n gauge so back to working on the rest of the model.

PoP 2 is already off the drawing board, again in n and 00.  Next on my list, along with lab4 and hsfv1.

Will post some n gauge pop 1 progress this week.

Regards

Paul.

• Like 2

While waiting for n gauge wheels, I was asked by an rmweb member if I could produce some 0 gauge e1 and e1/t bogies for an APT-E model.

I've done the e1 design now....

Stay safe.

Paul.

20201124_175409.jpg

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, apt-e said:

While waiting for n gauge wheels, I was asked by an rmweb member if I could produce some 0 gauge e1 and e1/t bogies for an APT-E model.

I've done the e1 design now....

Stay safe.

Paul.

20201124_175409.jpg

Great looking print, what material did you use, was it plain PLA? Did you use a standard .4mm nozzle and print them at a low speed as well to get such fine detail?

Simon

Hi Simon,

I used a 0.4 nozzle, would prefer to use 0.2 as I have before.  I use a couple of anycubic 4max pros at settings I have worked on for a while.  If you want the settings I am totally glad to post them.

This was standard pla although the quality of the pla does make a massive change.

I am happy with the finish, use the same settings on the 00 gauge model of PoP 1, n and 00.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, apt-e said:

I use a couple of anycubic 4max pros at settings I have worked on for a while.  If you want the settings I am totally glad to post them.

This was standard pla although the quality of the pla does make a massive change.

Regards

Paul.

That would be great thanks. I have activated a lot of extra settings in Cura, which I use for slicing, but would be interested to know what you use for slicing and the settings.

No hurry as I realise you are busy with getting your models out to customers.

I have only used, rebranded, PLA that says it's from Balco, probably quite low quality. I have heard good reports about PLA+ but not tried it yet.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I use Cura also.  I've used loads of unbranded pla and most of the time, its worked well.  Used branded from time to time an it has been rubbish.  I tend to use the same company for pla, once it works ok.

I've used pla+ , not really found anything to write home about.    

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e
  • Informative/Useful 1