APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

Hi all,

Work progressing on the n gauge pop.

Over the weekend I am going to test print the bogies, and maybe even a full pc3 using dlp (direct light printing).  If I can get it to work, I am new to dlp, it should look awesome.

Going to keep going with fdm also, so we should get a model soon.

Stay safe everyone.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 2

Hm, not really impressed with dlp so far.  

The fdm is doing better, even with a 0.4 nozzle.   I will keep trying.

Only time its produced a cracking print, it took 5 1/2  to do an n gauge e1 bogie.  It was bearly better than the fdm.  Bigger prints seem to look better.

The dlp tech is better, res wise, but its bloody hard work sadly and very slowwwwwww.

Edited by apt-e

Big time saving with dip is printing multiple copies at the same time what is going wrong.

what are you using as the slicing software.

the one that comes with the printer is rubbish.

I use chitubox which does require a firmware update but loads better than photon workshop 

Edited by LongRail
  • Thanks 1

Hi ,

I use the standard software which does ok for somethings, I will give your suggestion a bash, thanks.

The quality is not very good, I'm not sure its because I have to use plant resin.  I  use the washing machine filled with ipa and uv light box, but the detail just isn't as good as it should be.

I have also upgraded the build plate fitting to the easy level version, 4 vertical screws, and locking screws.

The basic 4 x e1 bogies on the fdm takes 28 mins at 0.1 layer and 100% infill.

I know the photon s can do fantastic prints so will keep trying. I have only used it about 5 times.   I've used formlabs printers a lot at my old work.

Any suggestions always welcome.

Regards

Paul.

On 07/12/2020 at 22:07, LongRail said:

Big time saving with dip is printing multiple copies at the same time what is going wrong.

what are you using as the slicing software.

the one that comes with the printer is rubbish.

I use chitubox which does require a firmware update but loads better than photon workshop 

I use a Photon s with eco white resin.  I installed chitubox today, updated my printers firmware to v5.02.  The slicer made a photons file ok, put the USB stick in, failed to open file.  Looks like v5.02 doesn't support photons files anymore, just pwl.

Getting frustrated with it now, any help please.   

Just printed an e1 bogie and got this after 2 hours.

20201209_180620.jpg

20201209_180611.jpg

20201209_180602.jpg

1 minute ago, apt-e said:

Fdm manages at least this,   will plod on with dlp.

20201209_180831.jpg

20201209_180843.jpg

Hi Paul,

Considering how many times larger the photograph shews on my computer screen I would say that the N gauge prints, once painted, will likely look fine.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

I will paint up the fdm bogies and see what you think.  The rest of the model has made good progress, just don't want to post until its finished.   I am happy so far, might not make Xmas deadline sadly.  Will do my best.  The draw gear is proving difficult, but Gavin from the apt-e group suggested an idea......   

• Like 1

Ive got the coupling sorted today, after a lot of work.  I've also made some panels in the bogie frames in order to add liquid gravity.

Seems n gauge models are forgotten about , so I want this to be as good as it can be.

Prototypes on show. The liquid gravity photo is from the dlp bogie, which i am not going to use, but the fdm frame is the same.

Regards

Paul.

20201211_192845.jpg

20201211_192513.jpg

20201211_192502.jpg

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, LongRail said:

Not encountered plant resin wonder if that may be the problem just checked and I upgraded my firmware to V5.0.2 and it works fine with chitubox creates .photons files

Thats very odd, mine just says failed to open file.  Tried twice with no luck.  Will get back to it after Christmas.   The Chitubox support forum has people that have had the same issue as me.  All very odd.   I like the software you suggested, thanks for that.

7 hours ago, apt-e said:

Thats very odd, mine just says failed to open file.  Tried twice with no luck.  Will get back to it after Christmas.   The Chitubox support forum has people that have had the same issue as me.  All very odd.   I like the software you suggested, thanks for that.

I'm going to install Chitubox on a spare laptop and try it again, as its the only thing I can think of.  Photons says right 5.02 firmware and latest ui.    All very frustrating.

On 12/12/2020 at 15:45, apt-e said:

Draw gear and buffer beams added.  Coupled to test coach, all seem ok.

Will do the next version of the framework next week.

Stay safe everyone.

Paul.

20201212_154224.jpg

Right, I'm getting quite excited about this project Paul.

My only question is by putting the Coupling through the Bufferbeam opening, will that affect the radius of curve it'll work on??

I ask this because of experience with Loco's & DMU's that have a similar low hanging buffer beam/Snow plough, in most cases it's either have the plough fitted and no Coupling or fit the plough to the bogie with the coupling through the it, if that makes sense???

Cheers

Neal.

2 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

Right, I'm getting quite excited about this project Paul.

My only question is by putting the Coupling through the Bufferbeam opening, will that affect the radius of curve it'll work on??

I ask this because of experience with Loco's & DMU's that have a similar low hanging buffer beam/Snow plough, in most cases it's either have the plough fitted and no Coupling or fit the plough to the bogie with the coupling through the it, if that makes sense???

Cheers

Neal.

Hi Neal,

I've been worried about this, I don't have any n gauge corners apart from a bit of flexitrack.  I have never done anything in N gauge, nor used it.  To test this and redesign if need be, I have ordered an oval of track.  I did try fitting an nem pocket but there isn't enough room.   Will add a pivot if all else fails, I will get it to work somehow.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 22:39, LongRail said:

Not encountered plant resin wonder if that may be the problem just checked and I upgraded my firmware to V5.0.2 and it works fine with chitubox creates .photons files

Hi,

I've finally got chitubox working.  It turns out that when its installed, you have to make sure you install the thumbnail service.  For some reason my first install failed while doing this.  Within the photons file format, the thumbnail is included. If it not present,it will not load.  Will give the bogies another go over Christmas.  Thanks for you comments, very much appreciated and helpful. 

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e

Hi all.

Slight change of design, due to radius issues.  I am redesigning the e1 bogie frame in order to make room for a nem pocket connected to the base.

Working on it as I type.  Thats the plan,  I think it should work, a test fit has already taken place and with a new e1 frame all should be good.

Stay safe everyone and have the best Christmas possible.

Paul.

• Like 4